Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #21
LSTD Mob Cappo
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
wow...pretty cool.

I hear they have wifi and GSS now....
That would be about right.
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pros and cons of stretching a bike** Whetstone91 General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-07-2011 02:39 PM
Pros and Cons of Supercharging a bike? sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 116 01-26-2011 03:12 PM
pros & cons of H.I.D gookster Performance and Modifications 10 06-20-2008 09:33 AM
pros n cons from lowering an r6 nvydis General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-28-2008 05:51 PM
Pros and cons of a 600 vs. 750??? night_rider67 General Discussion (Moto Related) 106 05-28-2008 01:21 PM
Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Former Dragon Slayer
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Never once had a serious problem with grip (granted that I'm only in the low 1:50's, so grip is rarely a problem at those speeds for most )

I just re-read what I posted and felt that there was some clarification needed. When I said 1:50's, I meant 1:52 - 1:54.........not trying to pose or anything, I haven't quite made it to the 1:50's just yet.

Anywho.....this is an awesome thread!

I'd also like to add one more thing about MSRH. Coming straight from street riding/mountain carving......I found MSRH to be exactly the track I needed, to get me on the right start. It's tight and technical enough to the point where decent/good form is almost required to be fast. As Tony eluted to in a previous post, other places may allow riders to use sloppy form that has been hardened by years of street riding. MSRH, IMHO almost completely eliminates this factor, thus requiring you to learn proper riding techniques.

At the same time, the faster sections of the track were not fast enough (at least for me) to scare the living bageezus out of a first time trackdayer. You're barely in 6th gear on the back straight (if at all, depending on your gearing). So there is a good balance for anyone looking to get their first track experience.
"The liberties of none are safe, unless the liberties of all are protected." -Justice William O. Douglas
NewSig2 1
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Holy Smokes!
Feedback Rating: (4)

They all suck (Barber Excluded) but, they make some of the best racers in the world.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #24
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #25
CCS EX #62
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
All of the mentioned tracks i agree.

ECR: Great layout, but SLICK as and rough as in some corners and down the back straight

Barber: Awesome in every aspect

Daytona: FAST FAST and FAST, good traction every where. on tires.
Toms Paint and Body
CCS EX # 62
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #26

MSR Cresson has to be my favorite.

pros: Excellent track layout with good grip. Mix of high speed straights and good technical turns with elevation change. Facilities and paddock are top notch (unless you can't find a space under the covered paddock). Two different tracks with two completely different styles of riding. Nice layout and nice countryside surrounding the track.

cons: To far of a drive from Houston! Original track eats up tires. Dallas weather!

Second would probably be MSR houston.

pros: Great track layout with a little bit of everything. I really enjoy the back section of the track (keyhole, bus stop, etc). Facilites are excellent as well, equal to or a little better than MSRC. Pretty good grip in most places (see cons also). Tires seem to hold up well. Close to home.

cons: Parts of the track are bumpy and can be slippery (although fairly predictable). Weather, seams to always rain down there, if only for 15-30 min. Sometimes windy. Looks like they have a wiked kart track, but last I heard, no minis allowed!!!

TWS (Texas World Speedway)

pros: High speed track with some good elevation changes. Track surface seems fairly smooth and grip is good. Tires hold up well. Good facilities. In College Station! Close to the house.

cons: No real technical aspect to the track. Liter bike playland, makes the 600's work harder (still fun to pass the big bikes though).

pros: Very smooth surface with lots of grip. Very technical track, they made the most of the small size of the property. More fun than you initially think by looking at it, and riding it for the first session. Motard friendly track!

cons: No facilities, none. Flat.
mcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #27

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

Stealing HOP's layout - sorry bud, you did such a pretty job laying it all

TWS (Texas World Speedway)

high speed
fun all the way around
covered paddocks
lots of elec. outlets
cambered turns
always seems to have good traction regardless of weather
wide track which allows SOME room for error (but also a con because it can cause sloppy riding)

allows people to be sloppy and still think they are hauling the mail
allows slow riders on liter bikes to punch it in long straights but makes them park in turns, which can irritate riders behind that are faster in turns.
harsh on tires

awesome paddocks with cover
plenty of elec. outlets
has a variety of turns with low speed and high speed turns
somewhat easy on tires
plenty of grip

only 1 turn has elevation
no cambered turns
sections of track are very bumpy/need some tlc from track owners

variety of turns
similar to msr-h but with camber and elevation in the turns.

not much covered paddocks
little electricity hook ups
track is either good or slick

grandsport speedway

track is new and smooth
easy on tires
great for motards and smaller cc bikes

no covered ANYTHING at all.
No electricity - last time I checked.
Huge concrete area is used for staging/paddocks - not nice in hot weather - heat blast
No facilities (one porta potty last time I checked - about 200 meters away from staging).
no elevation
no cambered turns
pavement seemed to be degrading very rapidly at any track day (when riding starts small pellets of pavement get loose and stay there on the track).

eagle's canyon raceway

New track
Fixed pavement and resealed
Lots of turning, with double apex turns, etc
Nice elevation changes
great length 2.4mi
Lots of straights

The track had pavement issues, although it was fixed...we will see how it is this season.
Far away from where I live
No covered paddock space
Limited electricity for riders
I don't like the pit in from the track, the pit out could be better placed too.

My favorites are TWS (Texas World Speedway) followed closely by MSR Cresson original 1.7mi track CCW.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Pros - It's fun, it's grippy, makes you learn how to brake deep if you want to do well.
Cons - That squirrel coming out of T6, the coyote near T3.

Pros - Super fun, lots of off camber, lots of trail braking, great club house, Sonic is across the street, beer on site now.
Cons - Surface is getting worse, slick slick slick in the morning and rain, not much in paddock coverage or power

Last edited by you da man; 01-23-2009 at 04:01 PM.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:16 AM   #29
Insurance poor

99 Ducati 996s
07 Yamaha FZ1
14 Yamaha TW200
13 Kawasaki 300se
08 Ducati Hypermotard

I was doing some searching and came across this. It's so old, COTA isn't even listed and others are closed. A lot is still the same though.

pros- Not a flaw on the track, plenty of room to move, stupid incredible traction, odds of hitting anything (but each other) is zero to none, this is what $500,000,000 will buy you.

cons- very intimidating, much more technical than it looks from the stands, back straight is scary as with everyone coming in off the high 100s trying to get stopped for the 100*+ turn12, mentally brain fried by the end of the day and you will not want to go to a 'normal' track ever again.
If Harley Davidson made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:19 PM   #30

Yamaha RZ 500
Suzuki 1200 BanditS
RD 350
1990 Yamaha FZR 400

COTA does spoil you and with regard to price I can not say that is out of line for such a great palce.

Was able to run MSRH counterclockwise recently and a much more flowing track this direction. Can say I hate the walls in this direction and also ran off in Diamonds edge.. The yellow bumps are absolutely viscous.

Barber enjoy more than COTA but it is a haul. That track has so much elevation change and the facility is beautiful.

Last edited by rz500guy; 08-17-2016 at 08:21 PM.
rz500guy is offline   Reply With Quote