MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
pros and cons of tracks...post your own reviews

these are my own personal views and reviews of these tracks....feel free to list your own. let's try and stay on topic here.

texas world speedway

pros: high speed fun all the way around, covered paddocks with lots of elec. outlets, elevation, cambered turns, always seems to have good traction regardless of weather, wide track which allows SOME room for error (but also a con because it can cause sloppy riding)

cons: allows people to be sloppy and still think they are hauling the mail. with most of the turns being higher speeds, it allows people to use the momentum and speed as a crutch instead of a learning tool. harsh on tires

msr-houston

pros: awesome paddocks with cover, plenty of elec. outlets, has a variety of turns with low speed and high speed turns, somewhat easy on tires with plenty of grip

cons: only 1 turn has elevation, no cambered turns

msr-cresson MY PERSONAL FAVORITE

pros: variety of turns, similar to msr-h but with camber and elevation in the turns.

cons: not much covered paddocks, little electricity hook ups, track is either good or slick

oak hill raceway

pros: teaches a lot about braking, lap times are dictated by hard braking and corner entry speeds, good track to learn reference points (plenty of stuff to look for out there)

cons: extremely narrrow (which can be a pro as a teaching tool), not much room for error, pavement has deteriorated with lots of sealer, no restrooms only port-o-toilets, very harsh on tires, lots of stuff you want to avoid in certain turns so you don't end up against tire walls, bushes or trees.

grandsport speedway

pros: track is new and smooth, smaller track and easy on tires, great for motards and smaller cc bikes

cons: no covered areas or anything for that matter, no elevation, no cambered turns

eagle's canyon raceway

never been yet, so my personal review is yet to be written...

hallet

never been yet, so my personal review is yet to be written...

BARBER MOTORSPORTS PARK

pros: EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF.....THIS TRACKS GOT IT. worth every penny it took to get there and stay there for 2 days.

cons: it's friggin 12 hours away and it averages out to about $250 each trackday

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pros and cons of stretching a bike** Whetstone91 General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 10-07-2011 02:39 PM
Pros and Cons of Supercharging a bike? sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 116 01-26-2011 03:12 PM
pros & cons of H.I.D gookster Performance and Modifications 10 06-20-2008 09:33 AM
pros n cons from lowering an r6 nvydis General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-28-2008 05:51 PM
Pros and cons of a 600 vs. 750??? night_rider67 General Discussion (Moto Related) 106 05-28-2008 01:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Pre-K

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2012 CBR1000RR
2014 Specialized

Eagles's Canyon WAS slick as in anything but 127degree heat... but they re-paved a good portion of it, so maybe its good now?
Pre-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

mmmmm i can't wait to bring the bike out this season

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 AM   #4
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

MSR-Houston
pros: nice place, good paddocks, electricity, bathrooms, track has high speed straights, high speed corners and a very technical section, only 10 miles from my house

cons: some spots are bumpy, sealer stips/concrete patches in various places, the track weeps water up through the asphalt when the ditches around there are full
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

TWS (Texas World Speedway)
Pros: Wide, High speeds and it is a big part of racing history
Cons: Rough track nowadays and gets worse every time I go. Fuel consumption at it's highest here.

MSRH
Pros: Nice facility and like the lay out
cons: bumpy in spots, the launch is in a bad place ccw.

MSRC
Pros: Wide, technical and flows good imo, elevation changes
Cons: Old track is slick in the morning, prarie dust.

OHR
Pros: extremely technical, elevation changes, scenery, lower speeds, a rhythm course.
Cons: Narrow, Bad surface, rock damage from other bikes, blind spots, lacking facilities and paved pits.

GSS
Pros: Smooth surface
Cons: does not flow well for sportbikes, decreasing radius turns, hard work on the body in the summer.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
ange062

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
I think MSR Cresson is the worst of any of the tracks on tires! I swear I chew through them faster there then anywhere else, and it's only on one side at a time there...

Hallett:
Pros: Awesome layout that is challenging, tight, technical, but still has a nice straight and some high-speed turns. Good balance of right and left turns. Tons of elevation change and has on and off camber turns. Great paddock and facilities, and photo crew on sight is the best I have seen (they get cranes out to take aerial shots!)

Cons: Far, but worth the drive. Track exit is across the track, so once an endurance race starts you are trapped in or out.
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

You can see my write-up of all these tracks here: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49455

texas world speedway

pros: Great teaching track, and because it's wide, is an excellent racing track with many places to pass. Wide track leaves room for error and let's those who are learning to race/ ride make mistakes without causing havoc. Great place to ride/ race; and if you can carry corner speed, is a great place to get faster. The new track owners have made many improvements, including some repaved areas, vast improvements to the electrical system in the paddock, safety improvements with the radios and crash mitigation, and improvements in the facilities by adding a second classroom and improving the bathrooms/ showers.

cons: Those with slow corner speed will be rewarded with slower lap times that are magnafied because of the size of the track. Tire wear is increased when compared to some of the smaller/ newer tracks. There are plenty of bumps, but if you're hitting them a lot, you're on the wrong line; which is deceptive because the width of the track allows for lots of lines.

Mercedes Benz Sugar Land Road Course

pros: decent paddock with cover, covered area has electrical outlets, has a variety of turns with low speed and high speed turns, somewhat easy on tires with decent grip, can be fun to ride/ learn on

cons: only 1 turn has elevation and it's just a bump, no cambered turns, not enough electrical outlets to support a large event, not enough covered paddock to support a large event, track is boring once you get the layout down due to the lack of elevation, pavement patches and sealer make things very interesting, especially when wet! The pavement continues to deteriorate and is bumpy. Has at least 3 areas of concern for safety, run off is terrible if the ground is remotely damp, there are walls and barriers that create hazzards for run-off/ crashes, and air fence must be used to make it "safe to race" by many standards.

Motorsports Ranch (MSR)My personal favorite too

pros: variety of turns, like no other track in the area with the combination of elevation, camber, fast sweepers, slow technical turns, GREAT traction (with exceptions below), blind corners, really fun to ride once you get to know what you're capable of, has great facilities, and very nice classrooms. The 3.1 is a hoot to ride, but the 1.7 and 1.3 are a ton of fun to ride individually as well. The 1.3 probably has the best pavement in the State, easily.

cons: This track tends to chew up every brand of tire other than Bridgestone (and I hear Dunlop), every other brand complains about tire wear. Not much covered paddocks, little electricity hook ups, the 1.7 gets slick in the wet but the 1.3 does not.

oak hill raceway

pros: teaches a lot about braking, lap times are dictated by hard braking and corner entry speeds, good track to learn reference points (plenty of stuff to look for out there), the track layout is fun, has great elevation and camber changes, has a great combination of fast sweepers, tight technical turns, multi-apex turns, and the track continues to have fantastic traction even in the wet and REALLY cold conditions as evidenced by the folks running low 20's in races with sleet/ mist/ 30* weather for the past 2 years.

cons: narrrow (which can be a pro as a teaching tool), pavement has deteriorated with lots of sealer (but mysteriously hasn't affected traction too much unless you're a REALLY fast guy), no restrooms only port-o-toilets, harsh on tires, run off has improved drastically over the years, but still has areas where the air fence is deployed for safety.

grandsport speedway

pros: track is new and smooth, smaller track and easy on tires, great for motards and smaller cc bikes but even the liter bikes have a good time- you just can't wind out top gear there- most don't get out of 4th- some really fast guys on liter bikes get around the track very easily and have a lot of fun there with that bike. Teaches corner speed, braking, has a nice combination of turns that keep you busy, good conditioning track that will increase your speed at bigger tracks. The large paved area for pits is actually kind of nice to have.

cons: no covered areas or anything for that matter, no elevation, no cambered turns, the "classroom" can be oppressively hot during the summer

Eagle's Canyon Raceway

pros: Fantastic layout that flows with undulations, camber changes, and speed. Fast sweepers, uphill/ downhill direction changes, multi-apex corners, pavement since the repairs is very good (or it was late last year, I don't think it's changed) and easy on tires! Decent facilities with food vendor on-site and decent bathrooms.

cons: Paddock is rough with whiterock, track is not close to anything, track is slick for the first two sessions of the day.

Hallett

pros: Very technical track with elevation, camber, blind corners, etc. Very nice track owners, nice pavement that was recently resealed, decent facilities, decent run-off areas, fun track to race with plenty of places to make clean passes.

cons: has a couple of areas for concern with run-off and crashes and air fence is used, is a 10 hour (or more) drive from Houston. Sealer can be slick when wet.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #8
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

awesome thread. THX
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
996Pilot
Aerobatics Junkie

Bike(s):

I've only recently been bumped up to the fast group so I am one of the slower riders in this group at this time, so my opion may mean squat. I like them all just because I am eager to learn and get faster so the more variety I see the better for me. I will say this though, For me Cresson has been a big pain. I just cannot seem to get that layout to flow for me. (not matter which direction) When I do, I guess it'll be a big accomplishement (and maybe not be in the way of the really fast guys )
996Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
whooops, didn't see your thread tom.

just tryin to get people back to what the forum is about.....motorcycle related.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
Eagles's Canyon WAS slick as in anything but 127degree heat... but they re-paved a good portion of it, so maybe its good now?
thats all i usually hear from the trackday crowd, but when i ask seasoned racers they tell me the traction is fine. its the run-off that sux.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #12
BKLYNBULLET
OFF!

msr houston

pros: awesome track

cons: WE'RE NOT RACING THERE NEXT YEAR!!!
Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
just tryin to get people back to what the forum is about.....motorcycle related.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I've only been to MSRH in my short tenure as a trackdayer. So I'll just add my .02, and echo what most have already said.

MSRH
Pro: Tight and technical with some room to stretch your legs. Great facilities! Close to home (30-40 minute drive). Never once had a searious problem with grip (granted that I'm only in the low 1:50's, so grip is rarely a problem at those speeds for most ) Three trackday organizations to choose from, TTD, LMS and LSTD.

Con: Seems like you could have more fast line options if the pavement was in a little better condition. Could use a little remodeling in the run off room department, but it sure as beats running off into trees/off or into a mountain/into an 18 wheeler etc . Memebership is fawking $$$$$$$$$$$. CCS and CMRA have decided not to race there this season.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
whooops, didn't see your thread tom.

Ah , it' all good, I think this is a good thread- I was just throwing attention to some of the stuff that I'd put out there, it's been a long time since I wrote those and some of it needs updating anyway. I've also got some more information to get out there with other "media", so that will be added soon.

Nice to see what others think are good and not-so-good about each track
Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Awesome thread!! Sticky?
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
thats all i usually hear from the trackday crowd, but when i ask seasoned racers they tell me the traction is fine. its the run-off that sux.
+1
i've been there several times and never felt it go slideways.
not any more than the typical morning "moment" anyways.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #18
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
@ TWS (Texas World Speedway) dont forget free wireless for your fine honeys getting bored on top of good food at a decent price.
when did this go into effect?
Old 01-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
when did this go into effect?
They don't always have it up, but will put it up if you want. It's been there for at least the last year.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

wow...pretty cool.

I hear they have wifi and GSS now....