MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Riding in the forest???

Ok guys well i went out to the national forest the other day to find out what it will be required to ride up there. She went through her little routine on telling me everything. I understand buying the registration sticker for the bike , getting a parking pass, keeping it on the trails. But then she said we had to take an atv safety course?!?!? so in turn ask her about riding a dirtbike up there because we don't have four wheelers. Well again she says we need the safety course so i asked her where do we take a safety course for dirtbikes?? She didn't know and gave me the number to the main office and all the literature on the rules and what not. So i call the office and the guy doesn't know either. So while reading everything it states the class is needed for 3-4 wheeled off road vehicles.

So in short do i need to take a class to ride a dirtbike up there or can i just buy the registration and go ride??
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone riding the forest and 3090 sun.? Swoop Events, Meets and Rides 2 07-01-2012 12:07 PM
riding the forest tomorrow 12.27.10 Azylum Events, Meets and Rides 13 12-27-2010 05:47 PM
Forest Riding Kbuffington Events, Meets and Rides 24 05-05-2009 09:42 PM
before riding the forest brisingr23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-15-2009 10:26 AM
Anyone riding the forest and/or 3090 Sunday A.M?? PSYCHO1000 Events, Meets and Rides 56 03-05-2006 08:10 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Dam do they want blood and a urine sample also?
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
zorn
$5 scratch off winner

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Honda 954
2003 Rc51

here is the site
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/recrea...g_dc_sab.shtml
but to answer your question yes you do,

State law requires that off-road users on Public Lands:

Display an annual Registration Sticker on all off-road vehicles, available through Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Take an ATV Safety Rider Course and carry your certificate (call 1-800-887-2887 for information).

Wear a D.O.T. approved helmet and eye protection.

ATV’s cannot be operated on any public road way or right-of-way (or ditchline).

Do not carry passengers.

When crossing roads: (a) have head and tail light on, (b) stop completely, (c) cross perpendicular to road.

Operators under 14 years of age must be under direct supervision of parent or guardian.
zorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
zorn
$5 scratch off winner

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Honda 954
2003 Rc51

http://www.atvsafety.org/
left this out, I have been told by the forest service police when stopped that even on two wheels you need this, even tho atv is classified as 3 or 4 wheels. i was told by the officer if it has a saddle and motor you need the safety course
zorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
KTM Tommy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 KTM SXC 625
Kona King Kikapu
2005 Trek 2300 triple/ten

You do need an ATV safety course to ride an off road vehicle in the national forest on designated trails only. You will also need a registration sticker from a county clerk on your bike for a fee of about $13 if I remember right. If you have a plated enduro or dual sport and have a valid M on your license then you are good to go where ever you please.

I had all my paperwork to ride my quad and I was riding with a friend on his dual sport. We had been out for hours, running on reserve and it was getting dark. He had a trail map but it was useless since they were revising the trails. We saw a road and bushwhacked to it in an attempt to get back to where we parked. With my luck a park ranger was just finishing ticketing some other guys for riding on the road and I was next in line. He wrote me a warning because I was on the forest road on my quad. My friend was free and clear on his dual sport.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
KTM Tommy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2003 KTM SXC 625
Kona King Kikapu
2005 Trek 2300 triple/ten

I forgot some stuff. The ATV course is only required if you are on a 3 or 4 wheeler because of the class action law suits, starting with Honda, in the 80s because of the introduction of the 3 wheeler. If you are riding on two wheels then I think all you need is the registration sticker.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Tommy View Post
I forgot some stuff. The ATV course is only required if you are on a 3 or 4 wheeler because of the class action law suits, starting with Honda, in the 80s because of the introduction of the 3 wheeler. If you are riding on two wheels then I think all you need is the registration sticker.
and that's what i was thinking as well. because in ALL their literature and laws it states only that 3-4 wheeled ATV's are required to take the safety course. so i guess i will just get all my stickers and run and see what happens
Old 02-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #8
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
and that's what i was thinking as well. because in ALL their literature and laws it states only that 3-4 wheeled ATV's are required to take the safety course. so i guess i will just get all my stickers and run and see what happens

Well, what happened?
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
first time hearing of any safety course.
Just get the annual bike sticker from Honda or Houston or the dealer in Conroe and then pay $5 each time you go riding. Theres a drop box at the trail head where you fill out a form and stick the money in an envelope and keep the stub while your riding.
Aside from having a spark arrestor, you should be good to go.
If you don't want to pay each time, you can get the annual permit by calling the office in austin and paying by credit card.
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #10
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I called out there and the recording said the trails are closed. Sucks...
I have never been and wanted to go see.
I guess I will watch for the roll call in the dirt section and post up on the next one. I want to ride with somebody that knows the deal before I go out on my own.
I wonder what the hours are for the office?

Advertisement