MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i need a mentor to help me wrench on my bike

ive always wanted to be able to work on my bike, and really understand whats going on inside. when i bought my current bike, i knew there would be thing i would have the "opportunity" to fix/learn about.

ive got a job i need to do on it, which doesnt seem that hard, and i think i can do it, but im a little scared to try without having someone with experiance there. plus i dont have any tools yet...

is anyone on here good at wrenchin? that would be willing to help guide me through a couple things, give me tips, etc...if so i would totally appreciate it! i would bring beer, buy lunch or dinner or whatever, and return the favor any other way i could (im really good with computers, if you need any help there)

as for the first major fix i need to do, i think the clutch plates are worn. if i *really* twist my throttle (as in like trying to wheelie, or trying to beat someone off a red light) the bike slips out of gear. this can happen in any gear if i accelerate too fast. which i heard is a good thing. a bike mechanic freind of mine out of town said if it was just one gear, id be screwed...engine rebuild. but since it happens to all gears, its actually not the gears, but the clutch, and most likely the clutch plates are just worn and need replaced. 15 year old bike...sounds about right.

i have the haynes manual for this bike, and the process doesnt look that hard. remove the cover, take out the plates and the doo-dads, and replace everything. it can all be done with the engine in the frame (thank )

here is the fiche of the assembly, im hoping its just the #4 and/or #5 parts that need replaced. it actually looks pretty simple in the haynes, but im a noob so if i actually know.

partimage

so any takers? like i said, ill sport the brew and a meal, , i would appreciate having a mentor so much i'll even detail your bike! :notworthy i do want to save money over taking it to a shop, but the major reason i want to do it myself is so i can see it done, and understand the bike more.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a mods mentor. silverslug00 Performance and Modifications 15 03-03-2015 06:50 PM
In need of a mentor... ralphg2180 Stunters Lounge 13 12-12-2010 09:23 PM
new to the fiddy game need a mentor! venezuelan12 Stunters Lounge 12 05-30-2009 07:07 AM
Veterans memorial and mentor ride Ft. Hood. you da man General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-08-2008 08:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

I don't think it is your clutch...I am very mechanical and have seen your issue come up time and time again. I think that your shift forks, shift drum or the castle gears are hosed up. The forks can bend and make the drum not fully engauge the gears. Which causes the gears to get worn on the edges. You can salvage the gears by undercutting them. But either way, you would need to split the cases to fix your problem. I have done it in the past and it isn't something that you want to do if you are not mechanicly inclined to do. Besides that, you would need a lot of tools. I wouldn't waste money on a new clutch. When a clutch is worn, it slips and makes it difficult to get into gear. Hope I helped ya out.

P.S. Here is a website about gearboxes to help you understand.
http://www.dansmc.com/gearbox.htm

Last edited by bdmpastx; 01-09-2006 at 01:58 PM.
bdmpastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
tschreck
It is what it is..

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR-750
C1400
YZ-80

Send a message via Yahoo to tschreck
+1, He's correct....Take the bike over to Patrick or Metric- Andy! Don't waste you time and money.
tschreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:21 PM   #4
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

heeeey. bryans here.............! welcome!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
i sort of understand...kind of...ummm...ok, no not really, lol. allright, just a little bit. that link was pretty good though. i started scratching my head partway through, but the more i looked at it, the more it makes sense (a little) im the kind of person that needs to see it and point to the actual stuff and see the peices fit together and move to understand.

ya, i definatly dont want to tackle this on my own, thats why im asking for help!
i might be able to invest in some tools, depending on price of the parts...

so you think shift forks, shift drum or the castle gears? are those more or less expensive? harder or easier to change out? does it require taking the engine out? , im so lost. this feels just like learning about computers for the first time....haha.
is there different names for those, cause i cant find em in the fiche. i can get all the part numbers off of the yamaha site, but they dont have prices anymore. can someone point me to a site where i can look up parts by number, and get a price?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:36 PM   #6
Hainess
Biggest Poser

It could possibly be the Detent spring or Flux capacitator!
Hainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschreck
+1, He's correct....Take the bike over to Patrick or Metric- Andy! Don't waste you time and money.
i hear what your saying, but ive got the time...the main point is that i want to learn, i dont see that as a waste of time at all! as for money, ive got some, but im not made of it, if you know what i mean. i could afford a couple hundred bucks now and then, but thats really going to add up! i know this bike needs alot of work.

i took my bike to patrick for some electrical work, and a couple other things while it was there. i did not even want to mess with the electrics! they did an awesome job, class act! prices were good too! they are awesome.

the only thing is im not learning anything about the bike if i do that, if i just drop it off and come back a couple hours later, i leave having no idea what was wrong or why or how, you know....

i wouldnt mind taking it in to a shop, but i would want to be right there and watch the whole thing, i dont know if anyone lets you do that...i would probably bug the out of the mechanic though asking questions and wanting to get my hands dirty, and i would be slowing them down, when they probably have other projects to work on also..

if you want to learn you got to start somewhere, right?
Old 01-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainess
GREAT SCOTT!

c lloyd

flux capacitor, lol...whats the part number for one of those?!?! :laughing6
Old 01-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #9
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

over at some shops i've seen a sign that says

$25/hr for labor
$45/hr if you watch
$85/hr if you watch and help.......lol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 01-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

which shops? cause im not even kidding!
Old 01-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

it's joke.........read into the sign, not the sign itself........lol

plus most bike shops are in the $60-70+/hr range.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Old 01-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
it's joke.........read into the sign, not the sign itself........lol

plus most bike shops are in the $60-70+/hr range.
ya, i know...lol. but that $60-70+ is what'll kill me in the long run. i could afford alot more in parts if i did some work myself.

so who's got tools and a dirty bike? or even just a dirty bike, cause i may invest in the tools. i got one person said they might help, but they live wayyy out of town, so im hoping for someone closer...

Old 01-09-2006, 05:00 PM   #13
train460
speed junky

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
88 v-max
05 Honda Goldwing
85 V-max (wifes)
05 Vtx 1300 (wifes)

if u are gonna order yamaha parts call either k & N motorsports in OK they are a yamaha dealer
http://www.knmotorcycles.com/

ask for zack in parts.
tell him u are with the v-max group and looking for parts on your other bike
you will get OEM stock yammi parts at about 40% less than your local yammi stealer.

If your bike is slipping out of gear back down a gear then sounds like either the shift drum, shift forks, etc.
major work, engine comes out and split it in half.
gonna cost u close to a grand. you can save some big bucks if u get the engine out of the frame and take it too them.
you can also do it yourself but it's a BIG job.
Michael
train460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:24 PM   #14
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

thanks for the tip on parts!

ill have to take the bike out and test the slipping, and see exactly what its doing. i dont *think* it was going down a gear. i think it was staying in gear, just slipping until i eased off the throttle for a second or two. i could be wrong. i was so busy with paying attention to the road and cages etc, i wasnt really counting gears.

hey thanks for the help everyone, i am appreciating it! even just some helpful words can go a long ways, you guys are the best!

oh, and as for getting the engine out of the frame...yeah...about that. there is a rusted bolt broke off in the frame that holds the engine on... :BangHead:
joy of joys!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #15
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):
01 Yamaha R6, 125 BBB mini

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hainess
uh oh.. here we go again...

ok..my turn....

check the blinker fluid

www.myspace.com/motohouston
dotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #16
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

Send a message via AIM to dotcom Send a message via MSN to dotcom Send a message via Yahoo to dotcom
I will be taking my bike to Patrick soon to get a a tune-up because I have never had one before.. and I know that Patrick is honest.... and not sitting there money hungry like a few shops in town which i'm not gonig to mention

Old 01-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #17
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

yo, this is Josh with the long busa, big bottle hangin off the side. If your clutchs are worn then the bike will rev rpm like if you are holding the clutch half way. The poping out of gear is a worn out trans. how many miles on the fizzer?
josh302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
dotcom
*** PUBLIC RELATIONS ***

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
yo, this is Josh with the long busa, big bottle hangin off the side. If your clutchs are worn then the bike will rev rpm like if you are holding the clutch half way. The poping out of gear is a worn out trans. how many miles on the fizzer?
big bottle hanging off the side? what does that mean? post pics.. i wanna see

Old 01-09-2006, 05:35 PM   #19
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

ya, like i said they did awesome work when i took my bike in. im just not sure if/when i could afford a G for an engine rebuild. depends how the next few weeks go, i dont know...i might be able to swing it, but id sure like to save $ + learn some either way.

i dont plan on having this bike forever, im going to sell it and trade up after a few months, but with this slipping problem i cant even do what the bike can do in the meantime, ya know.

ive never done wheelies before, but the other night i think i may have been rolling on enough to get it up, but it would just slip. kind of discouraging.

my bike needs , it cant get it up!
Old 01-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #20
Chris24
Thread Savior

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302
did i meet you at pp1 the other night?

okay, lets say i roll on like a from a dead stop. its fine till about 8 grand, then i hear a loud FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....(maybe thats why we call em fizzers, lol?) and the rpm goes up a few grand more. the bike actually slows down / loses power when this happens. i ease off the throttle, and it goes back to normal. i can get the rpms over 8 grand, i just cant do it too quickly, or this happens. also, this doesnt just happen from a stop. i could be doing 100 mph and roll-on in whatever gear and this same thing happens. this has happened to me in most if not all the gears. the odometer shows 27k+.

what do yall think? does that describe it better?

Last edited by Chris24; 01-09-2006 at 05:44 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement