MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #1
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
recall

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=35357

American Suzuki has launched a voluntary safety recall on 2005 and 2006 model year GSX-R1000s.

This week American Suzuki sent out letters to registered owners of the affected models, informing them that:

“Suzuki has received reports of cracking or breakage of the motorcycle frame in certain extreme situations where unusually high stress is placed on the frame, such as collisions involving the front wheel/fork assembly.

“Suzuki has also received reports of cracking or breakage of the frame behind and below the steering neck when the motorcycle is subjected to repeated hard landings from hazardous maneuvers such as extreme or extended wheelies or other stunts...If the frame becomes broken during this type of extreme use, a crash could occur.

“While ordinary operation of the motorcycle does not create a risk of cracking or breakage of the frame, Suzuki has decided voluntarily to conduct this Safety Recall to minimize the potential for frame cracking or breakage in the circumstances described above.”

The recall notice goes on to state that owners of these GSX-R1000s should contact their local Suzuki dealer and schedule an appointment to have their frame inspected. If the frame is not cracked, an aluminum reinforcement brace weighing less than two pounds will be fitted with bolts and epoxy adhesive below the frame spar and below and behind the steering head. The service takes three hours to do, but the bike must remain at the dealership overnight for the epoxy to set completely.

If the frame is found to be cracked it will be replaced with a new frame already fitted with the reinforcing brace.

“To reassure your confidence in your Suzuki GSX-R1000, Suzuki will provide a five-year warranty on your frame and the frame reinforcement brace beginning on the date of the installation by your dealer,” read the notice. “If your motorcycle is included in the Safety Recall and you have paid for the repair or replacement of the frame due to cracking or breakage of the frame in the relevant area, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement.”

“We’re recognizing that in spite of unwarranted behavior or use that is not designed into this motorcycle this, in very rare instances, has occurred,” Glenn Hansen, American Suzuki Motor Corporation (ASMC), Communications Manager, Motorcycle/ATV Division, told Roadracingworld.com Friday.

Hansen said approximately “half of one percent” of 2005-2006 GSX-R1000s shipped worldwide have been affected by this problem.

“We just want to make sure people are aware of what can happen, and we’re taking the necessary precautions to continue to provide a safe product,” Hansen added.

Asked if an owner was eligible if their frame was cracked or broken in a crash during a sanctioned race or track day event, Hansen said, “It’s still eligible.”

Owners are advised to contact their local Suzuki dealer first but if they need further assistance they can call ASMC Customer Service Department at (714) 572-1490.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohlins Recall hacxor How To's and Q & A's 1 03-31-2015 07:56 PM
recall notice witchdoctor575 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 02-10-2008 09:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Bump
Old 01-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Hey Chris there is also 2 recalls on the 1098, U just got one of those didnt U? 1 is for the rear cushdrive I believe, and 2 is the charging system problems
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Repost!

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...r+frame+recall

Although it's about damned time Suzuki owned up to the problem.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
nice to know. no more suzuki 4 me!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #6
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Hey Chris there is also 2 recalls on the 1098, U just got one of those didnt U? 1 is for the rear cushdrive I believe, and 2 is the charging system problems
Yep as soon as it's done I'm gonna take it to the dealer
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #7
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

how close are you to finishing it dude?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

They owe Gixxerbill biggggggggggggggggg!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
FireMalt
Recovering track addict

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
(This original, copyrighted material may not be copied, cut and pasted, published or otherwise reproduced in any way in any medium, which means, don’t post this on another website or BBS. If you want somebody else to see this, send them a link or post a link to this page.)
LAW BREAKER!!!! lol

That sucks for SOOOO many previous owners that have already wrecked their gixxers, cracked or broken the frame at the steering stem, and then sold the bike for pennies on the money

I wonder how much this recall is costing Suzuki? With the way the economy is going, this has got to sting the ol pocket book s little more than usual!?!? Wonder if it even comes close to making them fold?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #10
Scotsman

Doubt it. Especially since their merger with Kawasaki Heavy Industries a few years back, they're in very good health financially.
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

I don't get why everyone is on Suzuki for this........
First of all, I have NO brand loyalties to ANY manufacturers.....I get a good laugh when someone says Kawi is better cuz of this, Honda blah blah blah, but I take none of it seriously. For the most part, they are all great bikes. Just depends on your personal riding style and all of that.....so don't go jumping down my back talking chit about Suzuki because I am defending them.....
That having been said..........read the article again people.......
Half of 1%.....that is one in every 1,000.......is affected by this. Suzuki even states that some of these reported problems have ocured "when the motorcycle is subjected to repeated hard landings from hazardous maneuvers such as extreme or extended wheelies or other stunts" and they are still hooking these guys up.
Nothing against you stunt guys, but that is WAY out of the whole warranty perameter..........if you buy a STREETbike and slam it up and down all day long and it brakes on you, sucks to be you.
I think I am going to buy a Civic and enter it in a redneck crash-derby thingy and then complain to Honda that the car broke!!!!!
The fact that Suzuki found a weakness in something and is placing a recall NO QUESTIONS ASKED is very honorable, IMO........

just my $0.02

Advertisement