Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 AM   #21
LSTD Mob Cappo
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Originally Posted by 06fairedfz1 View Post
i would be willing to look at it but i have my own bike back now and have got to start tearing it apart tomorrow, i can swing by and help you line everything back up but not going to promise that it will work. normally cranking it without the tensioner in means bent valves IF it is an interference motor. if it's not then you should be able to line it back up and go on about your merry ways. hit me up in the morning and i'll try to make some time to help you out.
Most all motorcycle engines are interference engines. Doesn't mean they'll always hit, but chances are good that they will.

I'm still curious though, was there anything wrong with the tensioner you took off (to the OP)?
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting the shaft with my pay..Tax related cuong-nutz Off Topic 9 06-08-2013 12:40 PM
There is No Law Requiring You to Pay Income Tax Petro Off Topic 33 06-05-2013 01:10 PM
I pay more tax so I matter more.. MudBug Off Topic 46 12-10-2008 11:51 PM
LOOKING FOR MECHANIC FOR A HOME JOB - PAY CASH!!!! badman Off Topic 2 04-10-2006 12:27 PM
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM   #22
rslts may vary
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

2004 raven r1
2009 sportsman 500

yeah, most of them are but sometimes you can get lucky. that's why i did not promise him anything, just that i would simply look at it and direct him through the process of lining it back up, the crank is the easy part, it's just getting the cams lined up. but it's not that hard to do.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
06fairedfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #23
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

2006 kawasaki zx-6r

ok bro... I didn't read all the pages so excuse me if it's already been said.. But both cam gears on the head should have a notch on each one. What you want to do is line then up towards eachother (inside). Simply put the chain back on with those two gears being the first the chain goes on.

It's what I've been doing for about a year now on cars so I don't think it would be much different on bikes.
mikes-si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #24
The Chosen One
Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Originally Posted by WhoDoIThinkIAm View Post
And you call yourself a .
yes i do.
Bringing back the old school.
Azylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
It's not that hard to do.

There's some inaccurate advice being bandied about here too.

When you're setting the crank/ cams at TDC, there is NO tension on the chain and the cams should be out. AFTER you get the proper marks lined up on the crank (crank TDC), then you line up the cam gears, you set the chain, THEN release the chain tensioner spring to put tension on the chain.

There's no way I can help you out to get to wherever you're going tomorrow, but I know for a fact that if you put the bike in the back of a truck or trailer and take it to Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited, it'll be worth your time/ long drive up there.

, if he's not too swamped, he may be able to hook you up same day- barring the fact that there IS probably something else wrong with your engine. Most of the time, a bad tensioner will not cause a knock, it will usually almost always tap and get louder and louder.

Like Clay mentioned, a knock is almost always bearings.

Chances are too that if you cranked the engine with the tensioner off/ loose, that you bent some valves too.

Good luck dude.

Let me know if I can help, but I think you should get it to Motorcycles Unlimited as quickly as possible.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #26
Motorcycles Unlimited
Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

If you can bring the bike by I can check it out and let you know what I think.
Depending on what you've done, it my not cost much more than your $100.00 mark, but you'd need to bring it by it's not something I can probably fix over the phone.
Leave it apart as well, so that way I won't need to disassemble and reassemble.
Call or PM for the BEST PRICES in Houston for PARTS and ACCESSORIES.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #27
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
03 600 RR

how you get it worked out