MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Thoughts of a Born Again British Biker

Quote:
On returning to biking after many years, I was amazed at the switches and gadgets that adorn the handlebars of the modern motorcycle, but I must say I'm very disappointed with the quality of these modern Japanese bikes.

I only picked up my Honda 1800 a week ago from *************** Motor Cycles and already I have found so many things wrong with it. Take yesterday for instance, a scooter rider cut me up at a junction, so I hit the switch marked "Kill" on the handlebars and nothing happened, he just rode off into the distance.

Unfortunately, my bike seemed to run out of petrol at this point and I had to push it six miles to the nearest petrol station. As a result, I am not happy with the bike.

Also, coming to a turn last week, I flicked the switch marked "Turn" on the handlebars and yet the bike went straight on into a stream of traffic nearly causing a nasty accident. Luckily, the hazard flashers came on automatically at this point, well, half of them anyway, so that's another thing that needs fixing.

The gear lever only moves downward and locks the back wheel, while the rear brake lever clicks up and down but the linkage to the rear drum seems to have become detached.
Another gripe, instead of a substantial oil tank on the side of the frame with several pints of oil circulating like my trusty old 1958 Gold Flash, my Honda has a pathetic little oil tank mounted on the handlebars next to the twist grip. I've filled it with Duckhams 20w50 but to be honest, I wouldn't like to trust an engine only working with only that small amount of oil for very long.

There is a similarity with my old Gold Flash, the front brake is diabolical.

There is another similarity with my old Gold Flash, the kick start lever has fallen off but the dealer should be able to fix that under warranty. If this is the quality of the Japanese bikes then I don't think the British motorcycle industry has anything to worry about. It may be clever to build engines that rev to ultrasonic limits and have the mpg of a Volvo Estate, but if they can't get the rest of the bike sorted then it's going to be curtains for them very soon, you mark my words.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote