MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #1
SRADkneedragger

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Land Speed Racing

Hi all!
My names Marie and I'm from West Texas. I'm heading to the Texas Mile in March to make another attempt at getting closer to 200MPH. I know one or two of the racers there last year were from the Houston area. So anyone one else planning on going in March?
Texas Mile link
http://texasmile.net/index.php?optio...d=15&Itemid=30

There were four Women this year and it would be nice to see more Female riders getting involved. There are classes for just about anything you want to run and the Tech stuff is pretty simple basically good tires safety wired drain and filler good brakes and chain. Leathers, gloves , boots and a SNELL or better Helmet.
We went in March and had a blast there are some pics here.
Link to my Website detailing mods and prep for the Texas Mile
http://heavybusracing.com/

There really are quite a few "streetBikes" that run also.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
SRADkneedragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TopGear Lawnmower Land Speed Record D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-27-2014 02:51 PM
Land Speed Racing. . .I want to visit the salt flats! jetcycles Car Forum 13 04-28-2011 10:17 PM
A new Land Speed race venue in Florida... ZXALAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-10-2009 11:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
RojerLockless
member of NO MA`AM

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
Honda CB919

Member Garage

Sweet, thats one of my goals in life is to hit 200 on 2 wheels and get a cool 200MPH club hat =p

RojerLockless@Motohouston.com
BRING BACK GIXXERBILL!!!
CRBsig 2
RojerLockless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I went last year. It was interesting and entertaining. Maybe I'll go again.

(I'm trying to bust the ton on my leg-powered Huffy.)
Old 01-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #4
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Hey Marie, I met you and your husband at the Oct. shootout.... I was running a 1000 that day and running right around your speeds. I will be back in March with the busa shooting for 220mph... Like in October, I was pitted with the TFAs, Johnny Cheese, Jen Roberson etc....

March is gonna be a blast, see you then...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
Wideout

Bike(s):
'08 busa

Welcome to the site, Marie.

I also met your husband, but not you. I've been following your build threads on suzukihayabusa.org for quite some time.

Been running out there for a couple years but only spectated last October. Hope to have things in order for March. Like Alan, I also normally pit with TFA.

Look forward to seeing y'all out there again.

Matt
Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #6
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

I'm really excited about going back to the Mile. It's a totally different atmosphere than most of the Racing I have been around in the past. Everyone is like one big family just a bunch of fun and really a relaxed vibe. No stress no pressure and everyone helps each other! I was surprised at how helpful everyone was to me being a total noob to LSR.
We didn't get close to 200MPH which is my goal, as a matter fact due to a fueling mistake we ran 6mph SLOWER than I had been testing
But after we got home and they posted the results at 181MPH I still outran about 60% of the bikes there! I guess I was so busy looking at the big numbers and the fast guys(and Girls Like Leslie Jen Brea) that I thought I was going to be at the bottom of the results!
There was even a GSXR powered semi- streamliner bike that I outran! I saw it the night before and it's like the length of a pickup truck and low and all aero'ed out and I was thinking to myself "IF this is the kind of stuff thats running here I better go home!".
I really can't say enough about the Texas Mile if you haven't been you should go either to spectate or to run($200 for 2 days of runs).
As for the build threads I'll be starting again pretty soon I'm getting ready to do a thread about balancing the WHEELS not tires BEFORE the tires go on. You wouldn't believe how much stock wheels can be out of balance.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Yeah I wouldn't look for 187mph in the Mile from a stock motored gen 1 busa....(your 181+6 for your fuel problem).... Maybe 183-184mph but..... There are guys out there on Gen 2s making 185rwhp going 188-189mph..... You are pretty light but still, you need power....lots more power. It takes AT LEAST 200rwhp to hit 200mph in the standing mile with an average weight rider.... gearing setup is critical. I am gonna run mine conservatively at around 300-320hp and I HOPE if I gear it right and the wind isn't too bad, I can go 220..... atleast 215....

I look forward to seeing yall out there....

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
spring r1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 r1
04gsxr600 track
ttr90

how fast would a stock o7 r1 run in a mile geared -1 in the front? do u have to have a cut off switch? wheres the texas mile located
spring r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring r1 View Post
how fast would a stock o7 r1 run in a mile geared -1 in the front? do u have to have a cut off switch? wheres the texas mile located

Well you probably won't be able to run with that -1 up front, you will top out 6th within 3/4 mile..... You should probably go back to stock gearing. How fast you run is hard to guess, depends on how quick you can get on the gas hard(use as much of the front half of the track as you can), your size/weight etc..... If you aren't too heavy, have a decent tuck and the bike is tuned well, I would guess 175-180 mph... Its a lot harder then it looks..... Consider stock gen 1 hayabusas usually run 175-182....the R1 will accelerate harder to about 150mph, after that, the busa will be a lot stronger, even with less HP......aerodynamics......

My 1000 is quicker then most stock or even piped busas until about 155mph, then I stop pulling them... My 1000 went 178mph at the Mile and I was 185lbs suited, correctly geared etc.....

Lots of factors contribute to the speed.....wind is a big deal down there....

Come to my MH Superbike showdown and you will get an idea of what its like to run that fast.....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Got-Busa?

Glad to see you on here Marie! I was just looking at an old thread the other day and wondering if you had done any upgrades for the March meet yet? Hopefully I'll have more time to talk to everyone at the next race so I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again. Maybe we'll ALL improve our max speeds...

See you soon,

Josh
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
JOEBUSA

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

I'm looking forward to March, first trip to the Mile. Not sure yet if I'll be running the Busa yet
JOEBUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Hey Josh!
Look for some upcoming Howto's.
The first thing I am going to do maybe this week is a how to on Wheel balancing. I had no idea that most motorcycle wheels are not round! They are precision cast then the "center" machined. Once the "center" is located then the tire mounting/seating area is machined. And while the wheel center and the wheel rim are true and even with each other often times there is quite a big difference in the rest of the wheel!
So the idea is to balance the wheel THEN balance the wheel and tire combo.
When we Put the Pilots on the HeavyBus I run a "R" medium compound in the rear and a street Pilot on the front. THe rear was pretty much spot on from the mount the front however was a whole different story we went through 3 different fronts looking for one that didn't require a ton of lead(Thanks to FamilyPowerSports.com for tire Sponsorship). Even the best tire was still difficult to balance and I believe a good part of that was the wheel. So I'm building a wheel balancer for under $20 and balancing everything!
I'll post on the usual boards and if there's enough interest I'll post here also.
Foe those who don't know here's a few pics that I did on install to help others.
Pair Valve block offs
P101003deleted
Heat Wrap on Brock Ultra light Pipe
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/ns50r/200MPH
/P1010040.jpg[/IMG]
Small Airbox mod
Land Speed Racing
better Ram Air tube seals
P1010039 1
GenMar bar Risers
Land Speed Racing

I thought there would be some interest for new Riders or women or maybe those without major skills and tools about how difficult some mods would be so I just did a step by step on most of our Race Prep but alot of this stuff applies to street bikes also.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #14
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEBUSA View Post
I'm looking forward to March, first trip to the Mile. Not sure yet if I'll be running the Busa yet
JoeBusa

It's kind of slow to start but if you go here

http://www.extremebusa.com/extreme/s...ad.php?t=14619

This thread shows what we did step by step to get ready for the Texas Mile.
Also if you look here
http://www.texasmile.net/
This will give you an idea of what to expect.
Bike Tech Rules
Safety Requirements for

MOTORCYCLE DIVISION

Safety is Paramount

TechSheetMotorcycles2008.doc

-New rules effective 2008-

1. Engine kill switch. Riders must have a lanyard style kill switch that kills all power in the event of a rider falling off. Tip over switches will NOT be a suitable replacement for a kill switch.

2. Tires will be ZR rated D.O.T. tires, front and rear

3. Front axels must be safety wired. Rear axels must have the nut pinned, clipped, or safety wired,

4. Oil drain plugs will be safety wired and it is encouraged to safety wire the filter but is not required at this time.

5. Drive chains must have the master link safety wired or siliconed (preferably colored silicone)

6. Crankcase breather hoses must be run into a catch tank or in to the air box.

7. Leather racing suits must be worn and zipped at all times while in the hot pits or racing lane. Two piece suits must zip together.

8. Kevlar T panels can only be used for expansion flexibility (arms and legs) and not to replace other large areas of leather.

9. Leather gloves with no holes or other openings other than breathing pinholes.

10. Leather boots or racing boots with no holes and covering the ankles.

11. Helmets must be certified by Snell Memorial Foundation and bearing M2000 or M2005 approval stickers. All helmets must be in sound condition, including shell, liner, and strap. All helmets must be approved by the tech inspector.MUST HAVE CURRENT DATES ON HELMET. NO EXCEPTIONS

12. Shields must be shatterproof in nature and have clear visibility.

13. Visor tear-offs are not allowed.

14. The Texas Mile prohibits hydration devices such as camel backs during racing events.

15. Steering Damper for speeds greater than 140.

16. A metal chain guard is required

17. Both front and rear brakes must be funcional.

If you have any questions about the above rules, please contact the Mile staff before coming to the event.

I love RoadRacing and have raced with the TMGP guys over in the mini forums alot but the Texas Mile is 2 solid days of bring it! and the cost is reasonable it's $200. We have to drive almost 7 hors to get there and two days in a Hotel plus fuel and it's still one of the best racing values in my mind.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Would would assume it would have been a better turn out for the Mile if they went along with the planning of the TX2K9 event in March. A good number of people from around the nation looking to make both events in the same weekend that will now only make one or the other if that.

Good luck to everyone who decides to go out and run their bike or car at the Texas Mile though!
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 PM   #16
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

You know I was surprised to discover Riders from as far as Canada New Jersey and Florida turn out!
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
JOEBUSA

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRADkneedragger View Post
JoeBusa

It's kind of slow to start but if you go here

http://www.extremebusa.com/extreme/s...ad.php?t=14619

This thread shows what we did step by step to get ready for the Texas Mile.
Also if you look here
http://www.texasmile.net/
This will give you an idea of what to expect.
Bike Tech Rules
Safety Requirements for

MOTORCYCLE DIVISION

Safety is Paramount

TechSheetMotorcycles2008.doc

-New rules effective 2008-

1. Engine kill switch. Riders must have a lanyard style kill switch that kills all power in the event of a rider falling off. Tip over switches will NOT be a suitable replacement for a kill switch.

2. Tires will be ZR rated D.O.T. tires, front and rear

3. Front axels must be safety wired. Rear axels must have the nut pinned, clipped, or safety wired,

4. Oil drain plugs will be safety wired and it is encouraged to safety wire the filter but is not required at this time.

5. Drive chains must have the master link safety wired or siliconed (preferably colored silicone)

6. Crankcase breather hoses must be run into a catch tank or in to the air box.

7. Leather racing suits must be worn and zipped at all times while in the hot pits or racing lane. Two piece suits must zip together.

8. Kevlar T panels can only be used for expansion flexibility (arms and legs) and not to replace other large areas of leather.

9. Leather gloves with no holes or other openings other than breathing pinholes.

10. Leather boots or racing boots with no holes and covering the ankles.

11. Helmets must be certified by Snell Memorial Foundation and bearing M2000 or M2005 approval stickers. All helmets must be in sound condition, including shell, liner, and strap. All helmets must be approved by the tech inspector.MUST HAVE CURRENT DATES ON HELMET. NO EXCEPTIONS

12. Shields must be shatterproof in nature and have clear visibility.

13. Visor tear-offs are not allowed.

14. The Texas Mile prohibits hydration devices such as camel backs during racing events.

15. Steering Damper for speeds greater than 140.

16. A metal chain guard is required

17. Both front and rear brakes must be funcional.

If you have any questions about the above rules, please contact the Mile staff before coming to the event.

I love RoadRacing and have raced with the TMGP guys over in the mini forums alot but the Texas Mile is 2 solid days of bring it! and the cost is reasonable it's $200. We have to drive almost 7 hors to get there and two days in a Hotel plus fuel and it's still one of the best racing values in my mind.
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Thanks, I have that link already. I was going to go in Oct but it didnt work out. Also I've seen your thread on ExtremBusa On Extrem i log in under MakersMarkBusa

Hope to see you out there

Last edited by JOEBUSA; 01-14-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Come by our pit and introduce yourself say hi and hagh a "Race Sammich"
Just look for our trailer
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #19
JOEBUSA

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

Thanks, I'll be with ZXAlan or abouts around there
Old 01-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #20
JOEBUSA

Bike(s):
'08 Busa 186 HP
'07 Raptor 700 (quad)
'09 CRF450R

Member Garage

MH Superbike showdown...part Deux...big bikes wanted..

Check this thread out,

Advertisement