MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Stay with regular oil or go synthetic?
You don't need no stinkin synthetic! 14 26.42%
Synthetic is the CHIT! 34 64.15%
I really don't know and have no business even answering this poll. 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #21
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

A study that was posted on another forum (ZX Forums)

I was looking into running the Royal Purple Max Cycle when I found this information.

http://www.ezlubes.com/product_info/g2156.pdf

This is a pretty thorough study of oil performance. It is based on the following criteria:

1. An oilís ability to meet the required viscosity grade of an application.
2. An oilís ability to maintain a constant viscosity when exposed to changes in temperature.
3. An oilís ability to retain its viscosity during use.
4. An oilís ability to resist shearing forces and maintain its viscosity at elevated temperatures.
5. An oilís zinc content.
6. An oilís ability to minimize general wear.
7. An oilís ability to minimize gear wear.
8. An oilís ability to minimize deterioration when exposed to elevated temperatures.
9. An oilís ability to resist volatilization when exposed to elevated temperatures.
10. An oilís ability to maintain engine cleanliness and control acid corrosion.
11. An oilís ability to resist foaming.
12. An oilís ability to control rust corrosion.

Frankly, I have been a big Royal Purple fan. Many swear by it at the drag strip, and although I'll continue to use it in my cage, I was disappointed in some of the individual test results such as sheer stability, volatility test and wear performance of the RP Max Cycle.

Overall, I think Royal Purple is still a high quality oil, but the test results speak for themselves - for the same money (.25 per ounce) the Amsoil scored higher in most categories, especially the important ones.

Just thought I would share what I had found since I was searching specifically on RP.

On another note - for those who think "oil is oil" - page 3 and 4 are of particular note - showing why motorcycles (particularly high revving models) have specific requirements of their lubrication.

Finally, there has been some discussion as to whether one brand is worth an extra 3 or 4 dollars per quart compared to another. The study put this into good perspective on page 25. Quote - "The results suggest a relationship between the cost of an oil and its level of performance. Generally, higher priced oils tend to perform better, although price alone is not a guarantee of performance. Motul 300V Competition was the most costly oil tested, yet lower priced oils showed better performance. Price must be put into perspective. The cost of oil compared to the cost of a motorcycle is minimal. The cost difference between the average price for motorcycle oils and the most expensive oils is about $10 per oil change. If the performance of an oil can support an extended oil change interval, that cost is reduced. The consumer must consider the performance and benefits offered by an oil and how those benefits affect their motorcycle investment to determine the oilís value."

Although I realize this study was produced by Amsoil, the results seem to be professional and worth some consideration. For what it's worth.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote