Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #81
nemesis

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
no there was no gap insurance through state farm but i do remember signing papers to have it. ( probably through the dealership or finance company). But i just got off the phone with an agent and they said they would pay me back for the amount it was purchased at. Not for the total amount with TTL i'm financing it for.

But i guess that's where the gap insurance will come in handy.

And i actually switched from allstate to state farm a few months ago and im' glad i did because they were trying to rape me monthly for my coverage on my truck. I switched from them to state farm because state farm got me the same coverage on my truck and full coverage on my bike for LESS than what i was paying originally for just my truck and allstate!!!

So far i suppose no problems dealing with state farm.. I'm waiting on an inspection form to come in the mail now..
Your agent does not pay claims they write policies and may not know what all will be paid for. It's between you and the adjuster and it's up to you to know what to ask for.

But what you can have the agent do is go over your policy to make sure you paid for theft coverage, what limit and deductible. It is listed as D1 or D3 on declarations page as OTHER THAN COLLISION and at bottom of page under Exceptions & Endorsements: Limit of liability Part D - OTC ($$$$$). Thats the most you can get. Page 15 of your auto policy form 9843R.4 ST.

Gap insurance is mostly for new vehicles that depreciate soon as you drive off the lot. Used don't depreciate as fast. But if you got it and need it, good.

Nada guides is better as to value, its what the dealers use. But a two month old hard copy of a receipt from a dealer is even better.
http://nadaguides.com

The adjuster will call you in a couple days. It may take a week to get an offer, the police report takes a week and they have at least 15 business days to do so. See if they offer TT&L before asking that way you know if he's trying to screw you. Remember you don't have to accept the offer unless you like it. They'll offer on the phone then submit it in writing. And they must pay you that at least amount while you ask for the rest.

It's a total loss so they'll pay TT&L. I just settled a claim with them under collision, a total loss. They paid TT&L although they didn't offer it at first, verbally or in writing, I had to ask for it. They also paid for full gear but I had to ask for it and I had receipts. I also got the bike back as salvage.

Should take about 30 days like someone said. They'll pay.

Check out the department of insurance website.
You can read the statutes in the law or get complaint forms etc.
You can call them to ask questions.

http://tdi.state.tx.us

Good luck
nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
They stole my bike green 636 superkat Stolen Bike Reports 15 08-19-2011 10:48 PM
Someone stole my bike yesterday little kid Stunters Lounge 36 09-13-2009 05:06 PM
wife stole my bike witchdoctor575 Off Topic 58 06-02-2008 05:17 PM
bike stole in clear lake..... Mr. Unassailable General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 04-23-2007 02:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #82
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
Your agent does not pay claims they write policies and may not know what all will be paid for. It's between you and the adjuster and it's up to you to know what to ask for.

But what you can have the agent do is go over your policy to make sure you paid for theft coverage, what limit and deductible. It is listed as D1 or D3 on declarations page as OTHER THAN COLLISION and at bottom of page under Exceptions & Endorsements: Limit of liability Part D - OTC ($$$$$). Thats the most you can get. Page 15 of your auto policy form 9843R.4 ST.

Gap insurance is mostly for new vehicles that depreciate soon as you drive off the lot. Used don't depreciate as fast. But if you got it and need it, good.

Nada guides is better as to value, its what the dealers use. But a two month old hard copy of a receipt from a dealer is even better.
http://nadaguides.com

The adjuster will call you in a couple days. It may take a week to get an offer, the police report takes a week and they have at least 15 business days to do so. See if they offer TT&L before asking that way you know if he's trying to screw you. Remember you don't have to accept the offer unless you like it. They'll offer on the phone then submit it in writing. And they must pay you that at least amount while you ask for the rest.

It's a total loss so they'll pay TT&L. I just settled a claim with them under collision, a total loss. They paid TT&L although they didn't offer it at first, verbally or in writing, I had to ask for it. They also paid for full gear but I had to ask for it and I had receipts. I also got the bike back as salvage.

Should take about 30 days like someone said. They'll pay.

Check out the department of insurance website.
You can read the statutes in the law or get complaint forms etc.
You can call them to ask questions.

http://tdi.state.tx.us

Good luck

i really appreciate all of your help with this info. The lady i talked to on the phone yesterday had said that they will only cover the buying price of the bike which is obviously significantly less than what i still owe on the bike. She didn't mention anything about TTL though.

But basically what your saying is that i don't have to settle for their low-ball offer? Even if i have gap insurance as a backup right? I told the lady that there were aftermarket upgrades on the bike even though i didn't think it would make a difference.

Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #83
Candy
The Most Intolerable bish

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
'06 GSXR 1000
'02 GSXR 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Candy
Quote:
i really appreciate all of your help with this info. The lady i talked to on the phone yesterday had said that they will only cover the buying price of the bike which is obviously significantly less than what i still owe on the bike. She didn't mention anything about TTL though.

But basically what your saying is that i don't have to settle for their low-ball offer? Even if i have gap insurance as a backup right? I told the lady that there were aftermarket upgrades on the bike even though i didn't think it would make a difference.

Thanks again
Most aftermarkets on our bikes are simply a replacement of an existing OEM part and won't add much if ANYTHING to the value of the bike. PLUS, IF they will allow for the aftermarkets you will need proof they existed on the bike (receipts, pics, ur agent's inspection report)
Old 01-15-2009, 11:13 AM   #84
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRADkneedragger View Post
Remember the Round keys disc lock scenario? It hit the internet and overnight 1000's of locks became useless! Marie
Are these the round hollow keys that can be found on a cheap gun safe?

I read that they can be picked with a Bic pen.

Is this really true?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #85
SRADkneedragger

Bike(s):
07 GSXR-750
RZ-350
86 GSXR-750 Limited
916SPS
RC-51

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
Are these the round hollow keys that can be found on a cheap gun safe?

I read that they can be picked with a Bic pen.

Is this really true?
TRUE! the older ones. There are a ton of ways to deafeat locks that you wouldn't believe! Just a few years ago a "New" technique came out for picking locks it was all over the internet in a matter of days! Alarms are pretty simple to defeat. I was amazed the first few years I was married to SRAD it was like being married to a Magician. I mean lock mean nothing to him alarms a minor annoyance He even found a cheap way to beat Fords RFID chip keys!
Like he said in the article if the RepoMan wants your vehicle sooner or later he's going to get it there almost no way to beat them! A thief on the other hand want either ANY vehicle or any one of a specific type so if yours is too much trouble to get he will go in search of easier prey. SRAD sold our Repo/Bail Enforcement Company just short of 2 years ago and has talked several times about writing and selling what he thinks would be a best seller

"How to Beat the RepoMan and keep your ride"
hahahah
Marie
HeavyBusRacing.com
SRADkneedragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #86
MR.SMITTY
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

MR.SMITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:15 AM   #87
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

^ you know all about that dontcha? No you per se, but your homies.

Cuz a fukwad ***** will take your in the night, but they wont dare come the house and get thier knocked the out or maybe killed.

I got more respect for someone that will jack my than I do a sissified asswipe that does it in the night, for fear of confrontation.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #88
MR.SMITTY
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

User is banned

MR.SMITTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #89
nemesis

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000

Quote:

But basically what your saying is that i don't have to settle for their low-ball offer? Even if i have gap insurance as a backup right? I told the lady that there were after market upgrades on the bike even though i didn't think it would make a difference.

Thanks again
The buying price is with TT&L. You should have that breakdown with your paperwork, if not then go to the dealer and get it. Fax that receipt with everything you paid for at time of purchase to them. Then they will tell you what they won't pay for and must tell you why. If bluebook value is higher then ask for that but that is not as exact as receipts. If you can produce receipts for the after market parts then fax those also. Put your claim # on anything you fax. Like Candy said, after market won't add much value unless you can prove they were on.

The lady you spoke to probably is not the adjuster but part of an office team. You can get basic information from them and check to see if your faxes got there but you usually have to leave a message for the adjuster and they'll call you back. You negotiate with the adjuster. At some point after a week they will say something like we are prepared to offer $$$$$. If the offer is low then you don't have to accept it right there. You can ask if that includes TT&L. They'll send you a letter with the offer, or you can say that sounds low and ask to have it sent to you so you can review it. Also ask how they came up with it.

The gap ins should cover the rest. But I would make sure you paid for it and it was in effect. You should have copies of anything you signed. Go back to the dealer and get the contact info. You will also need the payoff on the loan at the time of loss from the finance co. Do a Google search to get the reviews on it. Looks like it may even pay your deductible. I would try to get as much as you can from the regular ins first.
nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #90
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #91
lightlord
Street ninjas four father

Bike(s):
two fiddie (sold)
79' cb650 (4-sale)
2005 636 titanium

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to lightlord Send a message via Yahoo to lightlord
man since someone tried to take off with my neigbors bike i have been up of an on through the night constantly checking on them.. i keep running pickup trucks off in the middle of the night im just gonna start calling the leo's and have these people cited or something.. it is just getting to coincidental. i think it might be people coming back to finish the job or something
Soldier 8 years
Firefighter 10 years
Streetninja for life
lightlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #92
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Ive never seen a chain(well, one that you can carry with you) that can't be beat by a pair of harbor freight cheapo 40" bolt cutters. The Krypto chains cut like any other kind of chain. Put your sh*t inside; best method to keep your bike.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:02 PM   #93
JBIRD5363

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

Alarms are only as good as the installer if you have a run of the mill installer it takes just a few seconds 10 at most but if your installer is bada$$ they will never find the wires or brain to disable it .
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #94
JBIRD5363

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

Is there any update on the bike or ins. I hope all works out well in the end getting your stuff jacked sucks
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #95
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #96
Gringo3825

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

You know I don't understand why with all the new apartments being built with optional garages why you guys don't get one with a garage. It might be a money thing I don't know but if it was a money thing i don't care what the wife/girlfriend says the bike would be in the living room. I'm too about leaving my bike anywhere. Or at least 10 wraps of chain around it and a $100 dollar siren alarm. Sorry about your loss hope things work out for the best. As far as karma lately it seems all the bad people get all the breaks and good people are getting screwed. You got some a$$&!le riding around on your bike having the time of his life while a 15yr old girl has stage 4 cancer and is terminal.
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #97
JMAC

Bike(s):
Ninja

I lock mine up in the garage, better safe than sorry
JMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #98
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Before I got my bike, I got a storage unit.
It really gives me a certain peace of mind, although $hit happens just about anywhere.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:09 PM   #99
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIRD5363 View Post
Is there any update on the bike or ins. I hope all works out well in the end getting your stuff jacked sucks
the only update i have is that i'm just past that 15 day waiting period to see if they find my bike..it aint coming back

so i will be calling the insurance company on monday AM to follow up with everything.. in the meantime i've been browsing at other bikes for sale around houston and trying to not think about how nice of weather we have been having since by bike got jacked...

But until i get things settled i'm keeping my eye out for another 600rr.. possibly an F4i in good condition.

and to answer another guys question above.. yes it would be worth renting a garage in your apt.. but i've been in this apartment for a while now and havve had no openings for a garage.. and my apartment will not fit a bike in it due to the floor plan and entrance into my apartment.

i've had a street bike parked in that same spot for over 7 months and never regretted having little protection from thieves. Mainly because getting home from work and going on a long ride and going out on the weekends with buddies was well worth the risk anyday.. Yes it sucks and me off to no end.. BUT you have what you have to work with and to me it was well worth it..

This weekend i'll be out of that place and into a house with a garage to house my next baby so i'll feel alot more comfortable this time around
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #100
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Best wisihes in finding your next bike man .
Also congrats on finding a house with a garage.

Advertisement