Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Race brake pads ok for the street? also other ?'s

Are HH rated pads ok for the street?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SV650 Track Day/Aggressive Street EBC Brake Pads Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 0 11-09-2013 04:10 PM
Brake pads?? What to buy for street? Supa Dave General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 04-24-2010 12:16 PM
brake pads DB8 Taking it to the Track 27 04-21-2009 07:17 PM
Brake pads? Pre-K Taking it to the Track 18 01-28-2008 10:44 PM
brake pads rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 03-18-2006 01:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
maxgs

Member Garage

DDG, I've been running a variety of race pads on the street since the bike was new and I've not had an issue. I've had some of the more conservative folks expressed concern about not having the pads in the optimal temperature range. Perhaps the fact that I'm a big guy, a heavy braker, and on a faster bike has contributed to not experiencing an issue.

So I've had EBC HH, Vesrah RJL, and Vesrah SRJL-XX pads. No issues. Now I do consciously heat up the pads when I first get on the bike but I'm not sure that they just don't cool down between stops.

The race pads may have a tendency to squeak on the street. When it happens, I'm not bothered by it.

-Curt
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

HH pads are not race pads and will work fine for street use.
Depending upon the brand, race compound pads work very well for street use, but will typically wear out faster, and are more expensive.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
maxgs

Member Garage

Patrick, why would a race pad with a higher friction level wear out faster on the street? That's counter intuitive.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

Last edited by maxgs; 01-11-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
maxgs

Member Garage

Patrick, the Extreme Pro EBC race pads still carry the HH designation on the model number.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

I apologize in this but the pads I ordered were described as extremely aggressive, and they are the extreme pro pad. Also curt wouldn't the higher friction cause the pad to wear faster due to the higher friction, same as a engine or basic item were moving objects have higher friction thus causing more wear? Also wouldn't they be more detrimental to your rotors? I am not at all saying im right just speaking hypothetically.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #8
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
I apologize in this but the pads I ordered were described as extremely aggressive, and they are the extreme pro pad. Also curt wouldn't the higher friction cause the pad to wear faster due to the higher friction, same as a engine or basic item were moving objects have higher friction thus causing more wear? Also wouldn't they be more detrimental to your rotors? I am not at all saying im right just speaking hypothetically.
That's what I figured, hence my comment to patrick about the Extreme Pro pad having the HH in the model (set) number.

Perhaps you are correct about the wear. I think of a pad with a higher friction level offering more stopping power with less brake pressure and fewer rotations of the wheel in braking situations, hence shorter stopping distances. Race pads can be harder on rotors, but I never thought of them wearing more quickly than a street pad. I would not expect a street pad to outlast a race pad on the track either.

There is probably something i don't understand that Patrick or a racer could explain.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:45 AM   #9
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

yeah i agree, hey what oil do you use?

Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
maxgs

Member Garage

Motul synthetic now. I went through a case of regular motul first, however.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Run EBC HH street and track. Never had any issues.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #12
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Patrick, why would a race pad with a higher friction level wear out faster on the street? That's counter intuitive.
Just a thought, and may not make any sense, but do you think it has anything to do with heat cycles. Like race tires, you know? Just a wild guess based on nothing. Didn't know if the track would get them up to temp and keep them there for a longer period of time, but street would have a lot of different cycles and may be more detrimental on the metal?
Old 01-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

i think imma try some EBC pads on the bike in time for my first trackday and see how they work out.
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Hey will switching to synthetic cause any issues? I was a car mechanic for a year and you wouldn't believe what I have heard about different oils I understand yes it should be fine but with a wet clutch and such high compression motors just want a thumbs on switching oil.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:34 AM   #15
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I was trying to figure out how to do Stopies, never did.
Anyhow it was on a 1200 Bandit S, with the stock brakes I could just get the rear tire up a little now and then. Then I put a set of EBC HH rated Brakes on it (Front Only) Then all I achieve was locking up the front tire. I am sure it was my lack of skill on the manuver.

Point is HH do grab harder faster.

The Brake Fluid is a good point.
Since brakes basically change the forward motion of the bike (Kinetic Energy) into Heat. Brakes that stop you faster transfer more heat quicker, so the overall brake temp may rise, or at least intermittanly hit higher temps than before.

If they squeak and you are certain you installed them correctly, to include any shims, I have found that removing the disc and giving it a brisk sanding with about 100 grit via electric drill on a flat surface (basically) removing heat colored spots. stopped the squeaking. (note had a squeaking issue only once and it was a rear brake)

Good Luck
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #16
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Hey will switching to synthetic cause any issues? I was a car mechanic for a year and you wouldn't believe what I have heard about different oils I understand yes it should be fine but with a wet clutch and such high compression motors just want a thumbs on switching oil.
if its a synthetic motorcycle oil you are fine. The compression ratio is high but not out of the world high, and even then assuming higher heat levels synthetic should hold up better.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #17
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetkillr View Post
i think imma try some EBC pads on the bike in time for my first trackday and see how they work out.
You might consider the Vesrah RJL pads instead of the EBC HH. The wear rate is amazing as is the initial bite. Between January and June, I went through three sets of EBC pads. Between June and November, ONE set of Vesrah RJLs.

Good stuff. And the Vesrah SRJL's are even better and seem to be the preferred Vesrah pad for the track.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
It's an interesting question. I've had people talk about the pros and cons of synthetic. If I'm remembering correctly, mineral based oil is preferred for break in and the first few thousand miles and then a switch to synthetic. Something about the way rings seat, and with synthetic the rings don't seat properly. Also there seems to be opinions about synthetic and the impact on the clutch.

I have no first hand or solid researched knowledge on the topic. My first oil change was to a synthetic and then I was warned off of it. I went back and ran a case of mineral based Motul. Was it necessary? Who knows.

I'd love to see the opinion of some hard core engine builders who have seen the results with synth versus non-synth.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #19
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Hey whats everybody switching from at the track(coolant) I remember some guys bragging aboutit, is it just basic water wetter or what?

Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #20
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Hey whats everybody switching from at the track(coolant) I remember some guys bragging aboutit, is it just basic water wetter or what?
I think it's a good thing to do for track and spirited back road riding not only for yourself but the people you ride around. I seem to recall one of the track day schools requiring it for the advanced run group. Fundamentally, glycol based coolant is slippery. It's pretty easy to get a hole in the radiator riding the back roads in a spirited group. The Fayetteville run seems to be particularly notorious for it. Spilling glycol based coolant is a problem not only for the rider, but the people around him.

Water wetter or the Motul equivalent gives you good protection from overheating, better than antifreeze, but you'll sacrifice protection from freezing. Of course Houston, that is not a major concern for us particularly if you park your bike in a garage.

If you end up with a coolant leak, at least it won't be slippery glycol that may cause you or one of your riding/racing buddies to go down.

Advertisement