MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #21
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Yeah...they are referring to the transition between the banking and the infield.

It is scary fast at full race pace...guessing we hit the transition at 140?

Our last race there, we were geared too short...I was bouncing of the limiter all the way down the hill toward the transition. I understand gearing changes affect speedo accuracy (not that they are accurate to begin with)...but I glanced down as late as I dared one time and saw 174 on a 600RR (which I've been told is the max an RR dash will show).

Either way...it's very fast and I nearly blew T1 by looking at the stupid speedo. That 1/2sec it took to re-focus nearly cost me big.

The good news for you...if you are doing trackdays you can take your time and ride at your pace. There will always be folks to help ya. It takes some time before you can 'attack' T1 properly.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What others do at TWS (Texas World Speedway) Bald 'n Gimpy Taking it to the Track 11 09-24-2012 11:37 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) 9/5 dinosaur Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 09-08-2011 08:22 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Thanks!!! Dr. Gonzo Taking it to the Track 4 05-02-2010 04:35 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Tango1300 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-26-2007 12:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Can turn better LT's w/ taller gearing. If you are hitting the RL, your gonna slow down. And you DONT want slow down till PAST the tranny at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Especially on an SV. So Tom, you could gear a little taller, keep the throttle on, and drop your times by about a second.
I'll try it, but I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding. It's not like David is describing where the bike is bouncing off the limiter, it's more the shift point. The SV (like some other bikes) have a very short window of "power" or "powerband" if you will, and if you hold a gear too long, the power drops off. This is well before the rev limiter on the bike, so the ignition isn't cutting off/ out, although that has happened before on the front straight.

Now with my GSXR, before I re-geared, it would bounce off the rev limiter with stock gearing.

In short, with the i4 bikes, the engine may briefly hit the rev limiter- briefly, but with the SV, it's geared to optimize the hp range.

As far as the SV goes, I don't think it'll be carrying my fat azz any faster than it does already. The fastest I've gone on our endurance bike was 1:56 at TWS (Texas World Speedway), and I can't see how Romeo, Spradling, Falt, etc take those things around that track flirting with high 40's other than they're about 100 lbs lighter than I am! No matter what the gearing is...
Old 01-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #23
ROADandTRACK

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Too many to list

ChErgle is about 80#'s lighter than me and I go just as fast as he does, even on the Ninja 250. So you can do it too, Tom. Give it a try, you shouldn't be bangin' the RL there, unless getting a HUGE draft.

Plus the SV will pull to where ever you make it pull, for the most part. There are ways to do that that are almost free.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Lots of responses to this have been 600cc bikes. The 750 gearing is completely different. I've been advised by a couple of the fastest experts, that have won on 750's, that TWS (Texas World Speedway) is 16/43 or 16/44 depending on wind direction (as if wind matters to my slow ). I'm still in the 1:54-1:56 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my 06 750
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #25
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
Lots of responses to this have been 600cc bikes. The 750 gearing is completely different. I've been advised by a couple of the fastest experts, that have won on 750's, that TWS (Texas World Speedway) is 16/43 or 16/44 depending on wind direction (as if wind matters to my slow ). I'm still in the 1:54-1:56 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on my 06 750
Getting the gearing that Ty Howard, Dustin Dominguez, Dane Westby, etc, etc, etc, isn't going to help the 2:00 new rider at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Old 01-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #26
you da man

Experience: 7 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Getting the gearing that Ty Howard, Dustin Dominguez, Dane Westby, etc, etc, etc, isn't going to help the 2:00 new rider at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Very true. I've used -1/+2 on trackdays and it's still effective.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote