MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

-1/+2 to much for TWS (Texas World Speedway)??

Guys, recieved the new track hoe yeterday from the delivery dock. Im starting to put parts together to get her ready for the season. Im down to sprocket and chain, and trying to figure out the best "general" setup for the track we ride (i dont want to change for different tacks, just keep it simple).

I'd like to go -1/+2, but im worried she'll run out of legs at TWS (Texas World Speedway) with that setup. Is my thinking correct, or do some of you run that setup there and just let it eat in sixth on the bank?

Bike is a 08 GSX-R 750

Thanks for any input, hope to see you guys at the tracks soon
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What others do at TWS (Texas World Speedway) Bald 'n Gimpy Taking it to the Track 11 09-24-2012 11:37 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) 9/5 dinosaur Ridesmart Motorcycle School 2 09-08-2011 08:22 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Thanks!!! Dr. Gonzo Taking it to the Track 4 05-02-2010 04:35 PM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) Tango1300 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 05-26-2007 12:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
I run -1/+2 at TWS (Texas World Speedway).
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Not sure what your experience is, but the '08 GSXR 750 is the last bike you need to worry about "running out of" anything. They pull like freight trains and have tons of top end.

If you're relatively new to riding the track, stock gearing/ chain works juuuuust fine. If you're racing, you'll have to experiment with gearing to find out what works best for you- each rider is different.

Personally, since you're on a new bike, I'd start off with stock gearing and experiment with gearing after some laps.

Get a couple of rear sprockets; one +2, one -2, same with the front sprocket; one +1, one -1. Those, along with stock gearing, will likely cover you up for all of the tracks to get you started on gearing.

As far as myself, I've been running close to or with stock gearing on my track day bike and our endurance race bike.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
MadMax143

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

I'd leave it stock for now...maybe go to a 520 conversion. If anything...go +1 OR -2 for TWS (Texas World Speedway).

-1/+2...I'm guessing you'll be on the rev-limiter by the time you hit the Start/Finish line. Which is fine by me if you are in my class! I like passing 750s on the straights with my 600. I think you are going the wrong direction. This (to me) is more like Oak Hill gearing.

Just my worthless opinion.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Thanks for all input folks. Yeah, im just a trackday monkey in intermediate group, just doing this for the enjoyment of it. Might just do the simplest thing and do as i did for my 07 750 street bike, maybe just go -1 and call it a day. Cant get much simpler than that i guess
Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
DustinJ

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Bike(s):
'09 R6
'08 R6

Send a message via MSN to DustinJ
-1/+2 is fine... I ran that on an '06 750, and an '07 600 with a built motor. I run -2/+2 at Oak Hill... this is what a few of my buddies that run mid-40's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) run as well...
CMRA Expert #979
Sponsored by: AAA Lift Trucks Racing, Sunny Motorsports, RaceWorx / Jim Cambora
DustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Thanks for all input folks. Yeah, im just a trackday monkey in intermediate group, just doing this for the enjoyment of it. Might just do the simplest thing and do as i did for my 07 750 street bike, maybe just go -1 and call it a day. Cant get much simpler than that i guess
Man, gearing is one of those things that folks worry and worry about. If you're searching for that extra second or tenth of a second in a race, that's one thing. Getting gearing information from someone running mid-40's or 50's when you're only running 2:00+ isn't going to help in the least unfortunately.

For example, I can run my pace on totally different gearing with similar bikes than someone else- it's just the way I ride.

If you just have to change your gearing, I wouldn't start with the front sprocket, I'd start with the rear.

Seat time is going to be the biggest determining factor for what gearing works for you.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

I completely agree with what Tom just said.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
I completely agree with what Tom just said.
Off topic here:
Are you and Tom going to have a team this year?

Back on topic:

Ask Kieth Hertell (ROADandTRACK on here) what gearing he recommends

No, don't ask him, you seem like a nice guy and I don't want you to be scarred.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Just buy some friggin sprockets in 520.

3 fronts and 4 rears and use them all till you like what you get. And dwnld a ratio chart and tape it to your toolbox. Spend a day only messing w/ sprockets. You will learn what they do and will have a huge advantage over the guys that have to ask what sprockets to use. And more importantly, the guys who try to tell you what to use.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM   #11
diggler

Stock gearing at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Maybe +1 on the rear if there is a head wind. You want to gear for hitting the rev limiter just as your dropping into Turn 1.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Sorry but thats not right, why would you want to hit the RL?

Plus depending on the bike, rider, wind, temp etc, you are still on the gas all the way past the tranny. Even on a 1000. So why make yourself do slower LT's by gearing to hit RL before the tranny. Seems to me that would ADD a second or 2 to ur LT's.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #13
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggler View Post
Stock gearing at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Maybe +1 on the rear if there is a head wind. You want to gear for hitting the rev limiter just as your dropping into Turn 1.
diggler, seriously, you can hit the rev limiter going into 1 on a stock geared bike? Regardless of the bike 600/750/liter... You must be coming out of 15 hella fast.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
since you are an intermediate guy....-1/+2 will be okay for any track. , stock gearing will be good for any of the tracks as well.

gearing is the last thing you should be worried about, unless you are stretching for that extra second. just leave the gears that's on the bike now, and ride it like you stole it.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
diggler, seriously, you can hit the rev limiter going into 1 on a stock geared bike? Regardless of the bike 600/750/liter... You must be coming out of 15 hella fast.
I do too on my GSXR600 and the SV. If I get a really good drive out of 15 it'll bounce off the limiter. Nothing unusual about that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
since you are an intermediate guy....-1/+2 will be okay for any track. , stock gearing will be good for any of the tracks as well.

gearing is the last thing you should be worried about, unless you are stretching for that extra second. just leave the gears that's on the bike now, and ride it like you stole it.
There's an echo in here...
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I do too on my GSXR600 and the SV. If I get a really good drive out of 15 it'll bounce off the limiter. Nothing unusual about that at all.

There's an echo in here...
I could see it on the SV. After all, it's an SV. Stock geared 600 surprises me a little. A stock geared 750 or liter would shock me.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I could see it on the SV. After all, it's an SV. Stock geared 600 surprises me a little. A stock geared 750 or liter would shock me.
Actually, you have to gear the SV for that, stock gearing usually won't do it unless you're on a 1:50- 1:52 pace. Not that I've done those times on the SV with stock gearing, but I've hit the limiter running 56's with stock gearing if I got a really good drive out of the chicane.

What Dirk said was accurate, most folks get a great ballpark gearing if they "gear" for touching the rev limiter at turn in to turn 1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Using that as a rule of thumb, that gearing gets you around the rest of the track where you're not in between gears or run out of gears on the back straight etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #18
slowblack05
please

i run -1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and -1 + 2 at oak hill and msr
Old 01-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #19
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

Using that as a rule of thumb, that gearing gets you around the rest of the track where you're not in between gears or run out of gears on the back straight etc.

Can turn better LT's w/ taller gearing. If you are hitting the RL, your gonna slow down. And you DONT want slow down till PAST the tranny at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Especially on an SV. So Tom, you could gear a little taller, keep the throttle on, and drop your times by about a second.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Can turn better LT's w/ taller gearing. If you are hitting the RL, your gonna slow down. And you DONT want slow down till PAST the tranny at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Especially on an SV. So Tom, you could gear a little taller, keep the throttle on, and drop your times by about a second.
Just so im clear here, when your saying "tranny" ive got to think you guys are meaning the transition, as in off the banking an entering turn 1?

And if so, holy brass thats not my game there ill tell ya that! LOL