MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Introduction Forum
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 AM   #1
int23

Feedback Rating: (0)

Thumbs up Fresh meat

First off, hello to all of MH. It's great to find a forum with a lot of useful information (and tons of other useless bits to entertain yourself with). I'm here to make friends and influence people (or at least find some riding buddies).

Some background on me: I'm 31, male, I am starting my own business (so yes, tons of free time), and wanting to do something for me. I've tinkered around on 250/500/600s (ninjas) and enjoyed them but never really stuck with it. Recently I had the treat of straddling a 600RR and my heart leapt out of my chest like a hamster on meth. -eating grin and adrenaline pump later, I decided this is what I want to do.

I'm in the Westchase/Galleria area, sorta new to the area so I don't have a lot of friends. I drive up to Starbucks (another addiction) often and I'm in awe how many happy folks there are riding and just hanging out. What I really thought was cool about everything was that everyone was "friends". Guys, gals, all 1 or 2 up. The fact was, it was like a big family (until the Busas rode up.. lol jk). I used to have that same group when I was into import cars, but that scene and my for it died long ago.

So I'm ready to schedule my MSF/BRC and unlearn some bad habits and practice my skills. I'm really hoping to find someone local who I can ride with and will be patient with me while I'm gaining confidence and improving my skill set.

I'm going to buy used (duh) and I've had the chance to ride the following 3 bikes and here's where I'm at with them:

GSXR600: Twitchy, Twitchy, Twitchy. Seems like the powerband is not as predictable, not crazy about the ride position

R6: Seems like I'm riding up high, maybe it's the ride position? But the COG seems off to me. Perhaps it's just not being used to the bike?

600RR: Smoother throttle response (IMO), better ride position, I really like this one the best.

I wanted to get some opinions from some seasoned riders as to whether or not my perception of these bikes are commonplace or is it just my response?

I'm going to do my homework and choose carefully before investing any money into it and of course GEAR FIRST.

Anyways, I've written a book.... so I'll sign off for now... but thanks for having me here.. and keep a look out for me!
int23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
been gone awhile, but finally back and look at all the new fresh meat!! Scatter Off Topic 21 07-07-2009 09:36 AM
Did His Meat Go Bad? Racer997 Off Topic 17 06-04-2009 09:53 AM
anyone else done with meat?? paniro187 Health and Fitness 58 04-03-2009 02:40 PM
Got Meat? bigcomfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 10-27-2005 02:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
LivInG lYfE
Blessed!!!

Bike(s):
None

Welcome!!!
LivInG lYfE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
gsxr005
Rocky

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Yamaha YZF450 Dirtbike

Send a message via AIM to gsxr005 Send a message via Yahoo to gsxr005
Wassup man! welcome 2 MH, you’ll find lots of good peep’s here. And willing to help out in perfecting your riding skill check out the sponsors.

I ride because I want too, I ride because I need too, enough talk lets ride! Till our seats catches on fire! The faster the better! Ride it to your Limits. "I live my life quarter mile at a time and in those 10sec I'm free and nothing else matter" No BS, No hassle, No worries just me and my bike.

Last edited by gsxr005; 01-10-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Add-on
gsxr005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:58 AM   #4
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Welcome to MH.
Check out the upcoming rides and meets in the Events thread.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

That was quite an intro! Whew.

PP1 (poser point one) is the Starbucks on Westheimer just west of loop 610- maybe that's where you landed on your outing. There are ALWAYS bikes and bikers hanging out (posing) there. You won't have any trouble finding ppl to ride with- quite regulary. Just keep your eyes on the Meet and Greet forum.

Welcome to MH!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Go with the Honda RR! You will not be dissappointed. Get on 07-08 if you can they are better than the earlier models. Although I love my 04 as well as my 07.

So Hi and welcome to MH!
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Welcome man, what is this new business you are starting?

As far as MSF look for the sponsor's section, I took mine with Awsome cycles, is a little far from the area but ir well worth it.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

welcome to the fam! Hope you enjoy your stay!

amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Scatter

Experience: 4-8 months

welcome
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
spring r1

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 r1
04gsxr600 track
ttr90

welcome....
Old 01-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

welcomes
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
Champ DP

Bike(s):
07 CBR 600rr

Welcome... I too was torn between the gixxer and 600rr... I decided on an 07 600rr I got about a month ago and put about 800 miles in three weeks. You will not be disappointed... though the gixxer had a more comfortable riding position the rr handles better, more predictable power band, overall better bike... fairly new to riding scene too... hit me up if you want to ride.
Champ DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
int23

Thanks for the warm welcome. And yes Starbucks gives you PPs lol. It just happens to be close and I'm hopelessly hooked on that mud-water... lol

I'm an IT Consultant trying to keep afloat in this "horrible" market... We'll see if I end up eating or not.

And yup, I'm really feeling the CBR found a few on CL that would be good practice bikes without killing the bank. But again going to take my time in the decision making process. Right now I'm researching helmets and what will fit the best.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #15
Champ DP

Bike(s):
07 CBR 600rr

I agree... I started off riding a 93 CBR F2 just to get my feet wet and it was def worth it...gives you time to get used to the sport bike, and if you drop it no big deal....I want to buy a new helmet too, but don't want to break the bank. I have the HJC cl-sp which is DOT and snell approved for about 125...good place to start and eventually nicer
Champ DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #16
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

whatup......
Old 01-10-2009, 06:15 PM   #17
bioGuru
Aut inveniam viam aut fac

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

welcome...

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Stacy
One day at a time!

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Welcome man, what is this new business you are starting?

As far as MSF look for the sponsor's section, I took mine with Awsome cycles, is a little far from the area but ir well worth it.
Took mine with Awesome Cycles and recommend them to EVERYONE
Old 01-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #19
int23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy View Post
Welcome

Took mine with Awesome Cycles and recommend them to EVERYONE
Thanks... I hope to hit them up this weekend and take the class. One of their instructors happens to be my apartment manager
Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #20
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Welcome to MH

As far as the bikes listed, just pick your favorite. I've owned them all and regardless of which you purchase you're going to be happy, especially being that it is your first sport bike. They will each have their pros and cons but they are so evenly matched that unless you're going to be doing some serious riding and need one to fit you exactly they will all leave a eating grin on your face. of an intro BTW.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."

Last edited by a forum moderator; 01-12-2009 at 01:29 AM.
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote