MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Kodak
Riding Solo Now

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600

Power Comander Help!

ok so im getting a power comander mapped tomorrow. anyone know of any good places to get it tuned at? dont like 2 wheel toys or stubbs (sorry just my thing) but i need to know of a Good place to get it tunded for a good price. about 250. thanks for everyones help.
Kodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new Power Commander V. with turbo and power shifter Gixxer Geezer Health and Fitness 24 08-11-2011 01:52 PM
pilot power vs pilot power 2ct setup Chubby Racer Taking it to the Track 18 07-01-2009 10:59 AM
power comander joeburt1 Performance and Modifications 8 10-11-2008 11:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

sunny's? i don't know the number but the dude seems like he knows his stuff...

i've been to his shop on spencer, inside the belt, but he said his other shop has a dyno...never been there, don't know where it is...
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

www.johnnycheese.com

Or Metric Cycles(Andy)

Only two I would use.

Very last option would be Tejas Motorsports(Billy), he is a decent tuner but they won't use the load brake to tune with which is just stupid.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

yea, i've heard real good things about Andy @ metric cycles.
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

http://www.metricmotorcycles.com/

Appointment Only

Andy Mercer
713-334-8030

620 West 27th St.
Houston, TX 77008

Andy did my map. His price may be a bit more than what you want to spend, but he is a perfectionist.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Member Garage

I'll know more in a couple of days, and will post the results, but Andy now has the ability to tune stock ECU's for all 8 injectors, possibly for each gear as well.

I think he's tuning mine on Saturday.

No more PCIII's for me if it works !
Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I'll know more in a couple of days, and will post the results, but Andy now has the ability to tune stock ECU's for all 8 injectors, possibly for each gear as well.

If you in the hood give me a buzz man
Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #8
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:

Is he using "ECU Editor" or "RomRaider" software, then just reflashing the ECU? That will be the future of tuning....I have been tinkering with it myself but it is a PITA to get it all right. I actually went back to a PCIIIusb for simplicity... I also started getting some pops and cut outs that I didn't have before I started flashing the ECU. I went back to a stock ECU and its fine....

Old 01-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:

That is awesome! Definitely keep us posted.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #11
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
Is he using "ECU Editor" or "RomRaider" software, then just reflashing the ECU? That will be the future of tuning....I have been tinkering with it myself but it is a PITA to get it all right. I actually went back to a PCIIIusb for simplicity... I also started getting some pops and cut outs that I didn't have before I started flashing the ECU. I went back to a stock ECU and its fine....
I'll have to ask him what it was.

He got it so that he could tune/ access the BMW, Ducati, Triumph, etc as well since you can't get in to those without an act of Congress.

My bike will be a mule for the 'Zook tuning, he's got the other brands covered (Honda, Kawi, Yami, Duc, BMW, Triumph) and I'm sure he'll have those rolling too. Yall know how meticulous the man is.

I can't wait, I've been jealous of all the on gixxer.com in the UK that have been able to do this type of tuning for a while, while we're stuck with buying PCIII's and Bazazz units.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #13
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
Clause only charges $200 and does great work. I just got some parts from him yesterday. Go by and check out the Busa he is building. CF gas tank. Ohlins front end, and lots of other nastyness.

Klaus is good on tuning carbuerated bikes but technology/computers is not his friend. I would not let him tune a fuel injected bike.....Plus he is about half crazy......

Some of his theories are so far out in left field, its not even funny....
Poor guy..... I think he sees aliens.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
i need my 04-05 gixxer 6 ECU tuned but the engines on a quad. think he could do it?
I doubt it, his dyno is set up for a bike (one wheel). You can ask though.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #15
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
I'll have to ask him what it was.

He got it so that he could tune/ access the BMW, Ducati, Triumph, etc as well since you can't get in to those without an act of Congress.

My bike will be a mule for the 'Zook tuning, he's got the other brands covered (Honda, Kawi, Yami, Duc, BMW, Triumph) and I'm sure he'll have those rolling too. Yall know how meticulous the man is.

I can't wait, I've been jealous of all the on gixxer.com in the UK that have been able to do this type of tuning for a while, while we're stuck with buying PCIII's and Bazazz units.

Ok, that sounds like he must have some other sort of programming/flashing device. That will be kick if it works out well. I recently went through all of this on my busa...converted the ECU from 16bit to 32 bit and started programming and flashing....its real cool in theory but for some reason, some of the changes you make, don't really change. I went back to the ole 16 bit and PCIII just so I could quickly get it running right again. I had high hopes for the ECU flashing. I may mess with it again in the future but for now, I just want to ride.

More info here on ECU programming and flashing:

www.boostbysmith.com

Old 01-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Ok, that sounds like he must have some other sort of programming/flashing device. That will be kick if it works out well. I recently went through all of this on my busa...converted the ECU from 16bit to 32 bit and started programming and flashing....its real cool in theory but for some reason, some of the changes you make, don't really change. I went back to the ole 16 bit and PCIII just so I could quickly get it running right again. I had high hopes for the ECU flashing. I may mess with it again in the future but for now, I just want to ride.

More info here on ECU programming and flashing:

www.boostbysmith.com
I was actually doing a lot of research and was going to contact you when you posted a few weeks ago about this. Andy's been researching a whole lot too. As mentioned, he's very meticulous, and he's not buying anything that doesn't do exactly what he wants.

Truth be told, he really got this equipment so that he could better service the Ducati/ BMW/ Triumph folks and use the diagnostic aspects of the machine. The tuning thing is just turning out to be an added benefit.

I'll let yall know, but I'm looking forward to NOT spending money on a PCIII (though I have one at my beck and call if needed... ).
Old 01-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #17
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
I was actually doing a lot of research and was going to contact you when you posted a few weeks ago about this. Andy's been researching a whole lot too. As mentioned, he's very meticulous, and he's not buying anything that doesn't do exactly what he wants.

Truth be told, he really got this equipment so that he could better service the Ducati/ BMW/ Triumph folks and use the diagnostic aspects of the machine. The tuning thing is just turning out to be an added benefit.

I'll let yall know, but I'm looking forward to NOT spending money on a PCIII (though I have one at my beck and call if needed... ).

Yeah, PM me and let me know how it goes. I know BMW uses MoDeTec for its diagnostics/tuning....pretty much ANYTHING for BMW you have to use it, even the antilock brakes. On the Triumphs, Triumph dealers have a "Game Boy" that you can diagnose and adjust the fuel trims with but it won't adjust the map by individual cells, it just trims the whole map up or down in fuel %.....

I am curious to see this thing that Andy is getting. I wonder if it will allow him to flash changes to the rev limiter/speed limiter like the ECU editor?

Hit me up after you're done and let me know how it goes.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Yeah, PM me and let me know how it goes. I know BMW uses MoDeTec for its diagnostics/tuning....pretty much ANYTHING for BMW you have to use it, even the antilock brakes. On the Triumphs, Triumph dealers have a "Game Boy" that you can diagnose and adjust the fuel trims with but it won't adjust the map by individual cells, it just trims the whole map up or down in fuel %.....

I am curious to see this thing that Andy is getting. I wonder if it will allow him to flash changes to the rev limiter/speed limiter like the ECU editor?

Hit me up after you're done and let me know how it goes.
I will hit you up about it.

He's got it at his shop now, he just hasn't done any dyno work with it (mine's first I think). He's used it for diagnostic work with a Beemer, Aprilia and Ducati he has there for service now.

He has a Triumph module and has had it for a while so he can dyno tune them- the Triumph folks love his shop since he's one of, if not the only one, in this area that can work with those bikes unless they go to the local Triumph shops (which they all seem to hate for some reason...). I think that's all he could do in the past like you mentioned too- just trim the whole map up and down not each cell.

He's always been able to do that with the stock 'Zook ECU's too (like the Triumph), which is why I'm excited and hoping for the best with this new machine.

What's really exciting is if he'll be able to do the same with Honda/ Kawi/ Yami as it's likely he will.

If you go by there, I'm sure he'd love to talk about it and show it to you if he's not swamped (which is rare these days).

Last edited by tomLSTD; 01-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #19
Kodak
Riding Solo Now

Bike(s):
06 CBR 600

ok well look. i have a slip on M4 and im taking that off and putting an 07 Akrapovic on. while cutting the cat. so im not getthing the full system im putting an 07 pipe on my 08 GSXR. adding the power comander. i want someone who can do the job right the 1st time. and i dont want any problems. who do i go to? i have no idea about power comanders other than it is highly reccommend for me to have one. (from everyone i talk to)
Kodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
ok well look. i have a slip on M4 and im taking that off and putting an 07 Akrapovic on. while cutting the cat. so im not getthing the full system im putting an 07 pipe on my 08 GSXR. adding the power comander. i want someone who can do the job right the 1st time. and i dont want any problems. who do i go to? i have no idea about power comanders other than it is highly reccommend for me to have one. (from everyone i talk to)

I would probably let Metric do it locally. If you care to drive to Round Rock(3hrs) Johnny Cheese is the best tuner around IMOP. He uses the load brake and that helps a lot for part throttle tuning. He gets $300 for a full map but will spend a lot of time on it. Andy at Metric also uses the brake. For your level of mods, I am sure Andy will do a great job on it. Prolly cost a little more then $250 though.....

I really doubt dyno tuning will be necessary for a slip on though....you really don't need to retune for a slip on unless it developes a hesitation or glitch somewhere..... but on the other hand, its always best to fine tune your own bike to get the most out of it.

Advertisement