MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
I think you were the only one that day too! Not because everyone was riding at a safer pace, but mostly because everyone was so cold they came in after 3 or 5 laps because their hands were so cold!
You might be right. I know I was not cold because of my insulated race suit but the right side of my visor kept freezing because my breath guard was missing. Couldnt see going into the 2 righthanders. Somewhere I picked up coolant on the front tire as it was on the bike's front tire and inside the fairing and on my jacket but did not leak from my bike. When I was in the ambulance I told them to check the entrance around 3 for antifreeze but there was none found. Could have very well picked it up driving through the grass after someone dumped it. I got out of the ambulance,loaded the truck, and drove back (2.75hrs) and went to our hospital to find the collarbone broken in 4 places. I miss going to Oakhill. It is just something about the morning scenery and the same at sunset when you leave to go home. It is nothing like any other track anywhere.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oak hill mekrew Taking it to the Track 23 01-02-2010 10:25 PM
anybody leaving for oak hill? houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 4 06-12-2008 03:11 PM
Oak Hill Track Days Swift E Taking it to the Track 63 04-26-2007 10:37 PM
Oak Hill Moody Taking it to the Track 57 04-02-2007 10:22 AM
LSTD/Oak Hill track day... thanks guys...!!! jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 5 02-20-2006 10:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
You might be right. I know I was not cold because of my insulated race suit but the right side of my visor kept freezing because my breath guard was missing. Couldnt see going into the 2 righthanders. Somewhere I picked up coolant on the front tire as it was on the bike's front tire and inside the fairing and on my jacket but did not leak from my bike. When I was in the ambulance I told them to check the entrance around 3 for antifreeze but there was none found. Could have very well picked it up driving through the grass after someone dumped it. I got out of the ambulance,loaded the truck, and drove back (2.75hrs) and went to our hospital to find the collarbone broken in 4 places. I miss going to Oakhill. It is just something about the morning scenery and the same at sunset when you leave to go home. It is nothing like any other track anywhere.
+1, it feels like home for me...
Old 01-08-2009, 12:43 AM   #23
roja
Roger

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR F4i
SV650 (Track)

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to roja
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Take it slow at first, ask any one of us for help, and enjoy the day. Don't be the guy that pushes too hard on the first track day of the season only to toss the bike down the track

You'll love it if you liked Jennings.

The other two tracks on our schedule you'll love is Cresson and Eagle's Canyon.

Hit me up if you have more questions and look for me at the track
Awesome! Will do! Looking forward to hitting all the tracks.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #24
roja
Roger

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR F4i
SV650 (Track)

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to roja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Steptoe View Post
To the OP: Welcome to Texas. Hope to see you out on the track this year. If you like Jennings, you're going to really like Texas tracks.

I rode Jennings for the first time just 2 months ago and it was a fun track! I will definitely go back next time I'm in Flroida. But Texas tracks are better Have fun.
Thanks....let me know when you head to Jennings Wouldn't mind visiting again.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #25
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
Roja,

As people have said Oak Hill is very technical. The elevation changes you read on their track map IS NOT exaggerated. The two hair pin turns are at the bottom of the downgrade and both have drop offs on the outside of the turn. I went last year to the February track day and it was absolutly freezing. I remember it didn't get above 40 degrees. With the cold weather you really have to be careful the you warm up your tyres. After the turn 1 and up the hill the first left turn is extreamely patchy pavement. As Tom said earlier the track does have its slick spots. Just avoid the slick line and you will be fine.

If I had to say one sentence about Oak Hill it would be "If you respect it's technicality it will give you one awesome trackday."

And even though it was freezing and devil's drop claimed my bike I still love that track.
Cold and foggy as I remember. BRRRRRRRR

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #26
thecrow

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2003 R6

Yeah Burrrrr is right. Our generator ran out of gas in the middle of the night and we were freezing our a$$ off in our TENT.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #27
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

sounds awesome everyone I can't wait to start my memories this year
Old 01-09-2009, 10:11 PM   #28
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
i LOVE me some oak hill!

probably my favorite track!, its a hairy one but it will help you progress your speed at other bigger tracks.

the biggest thing that got me shaving seconds off my time at oakhill was braking, its very technical, and braking is key there!
whats your laptimes there?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 AM   #29
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

well i was runnning mid 30s before my POS laptimer took a on me. i will have to go back with my new one and see what i can pull off.

i know it really doesn't count, but the buddy that i went with out there has run a 30 flat and i was tappin his tail a good bit later in the day, i imagine he still has a couple seconds on me though.

i will get some in the pavement GOOD lap times when i make it out there again

Last edited by slowblack05; 01-10-2009 at 02:54 AM.
slowblack05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #30
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

well you got about 2 or three more seconds to go if you wanna out run sv's. unless you like being slower than a sv?
Old 01-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

oh dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind being on that track with an sv, as tight as it is, i am sure they perform great out there, and it was my first time out there EVER, so i consider that a pretty successful day for me. thanks to carlos and dane for giving me awesome pointers.

i am still trying to get into track mode, i am still way more compfortable on the street, but once i get going next season, i think things will change for me more.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #32
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
oh dont get me wrong, i wouldnt mind being on that track with an sv, as tight as it is, i am sure they perform great out there, and it was my first time out there EVER, so i consider that a pretty successful day for me. thanks to carlos and dane for giving me awesome pointers.

i am still trying to get into track mode, i am still way more compfortable on the street, but once i get going next season, i think things will change for me more.
Nothing wrong with running 30's at OHR, very respectable
Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #33
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

yea im sure with a little more time you'll be alot faster

Advertisement