MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
roja
Roger

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 CBR F4i
SV650 (Track)

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to roja
Oak Hill track questions

I'm thinking of registering for my first track day here in TX..the LSTD at Oak Hill in Feb.
I've read a little about the track, but is there anything else I should know...facilities, track, parking, camping...etc.
My experience so far has only been JenningsGP in Jennings FL, which was a 2 mile, technical track, but was flat. These TX tracks look...a little intimidating with the inclines and declines.
If there is already a thread about this...just link me to it....thanks again.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oak hill mekrew Taking it to the Track 23 01-02-2010 10:25 PM
anybody leaving for oak hill? houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 4 06-12-2008 03:11 PM
Oak Hill Track Days Swift E Taking it to the Track 63 04-26-2007 10:37 PM
Oak Hill Moody Taking it to the Track 57 04-02-2007 10:22 AM
LSTD/Oak Hill track day... thanks guys...!!! jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 5 02-20-2006 10:43 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

That SV, will be great there. The facilities are minumal, that is to say there are none. No electricity, no showers, port-o-potties FTW. You will need a pop-up, generator, you are allowed to camp, but that weekend tends to be a chilly one. So take that into consideration. Other than that, you will have fun, I'm sure of that.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

^+1 Be careful though race weekends DO NOT have beginner levels.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
SCRC John

Member Garage

Yea, I would have mentioned that, but it says he has 9 trackdays under his belt, and Jennings is no cake walk by no means. I think you would be fine in the "street" group to start out.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Oak Hill is a great little track. Little is the key word- it's about 2 miles long, but not very wide. Incredibly grippy even when wet and cold- except in a couple of spots where the sealer is a bit slippery. Just stay off that line when it's too cold.

Very technical, but also a ton of fun. Take it slow until lunch, then gradually pick up the pace. Get with some LSTD instructors to show you around and get some lines down.

There is limited facilities, RV hookups if you get there early enough and pay a little bit (I think $30/ weekend?), you can camp there, there is not much water but it is there (running water from a garden type spigot), and there is a little electricity.

It's best to bring your own drinking water (though there will be a vendor there with food/ drink), bring your own power, bring some carpeting or something to put down on the ground to work on your bikes because the major majority is NOT paved in the paddock.

You'll either love it or hate it. Even the ones who "hate" it secretly love it though...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
That SV, will be great there. The facilities are minumal, that is to say there are none. No electricity, no showers, port-o-potties FTW. You will need a pop-up, generator, you are allowed to camp, but that weekend tends to be a chilly one. So take that into consideration. Other than that, you will have fun, I'm sure of that.
I thought Arron told me they had electricity... Though he said he installed it!

Maybe he installed it just for owner use...
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I thought Arron told me they had electricity... Though he said he installed it!

Maybe he installed it just for owner use...
There is, just not throughout the whole paddock. Read my post, it's got a little more info there.

The OP should be fine in the street or novice race group fo sho.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Yea, I would have mentioned that, but it says he has 9 trackdays under his belt, and Jennings is no cake walk by no means. I think you would be fine in the "street" group to start out.
I didn't see he had listed how many track days he had under his belt only that he had been to an event in FL before.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I didn't see he had listed how many track days he had under his belt only that he had been to an event in FL before.
Under his U/N. He listed experience and bikes.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

my badz.....
Old 01-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
SCRC John

Member Garage

The power they have are 30 amp RV hookups. If you have a RV, get there EARLY! Other than that, bring a generator. Carpet or a piece of plywood works great to pit on. Bike stands do not like dirt & grass much.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

i LOVE me some oak hill!

probably my favorite track!, its a hairy one but it will help you progress your speed at other bigger tracks.

the biggest thing that got me shaving seconds off my time at oakhill was braking, its very technical, and braking is key there!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
thecrow

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2003 R6

Roja,

As people have said Oak Hill is very technical. The elevation changes you read on their track map IS NOT exaggerated. The two hair pin turns are at the bottom of the downgrade and both have drop offs on the outside of the turn. I went last year to the February track day and it was absolutly freezing. I remember it didn't get above 40 degrees. With the cold weather you really have to be careful the you warm up your tyres. After the turn 1 and up the hill the first left turn is extreamely patchy pavement. As Tom said earlier the track does have its slick spots. Just avoid the slick line and you will be fine.

If I had to say one sentence about Oak Hill it would be "If you respect it's technicality it will give you one awesome trackday."

And even though it was freezing and devil's drop claimed my bike I still love that track.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
Roja,

As people have said Oak Hill is very technical. The elevation changes you read on their track map IS NOT exaggerated. The two hair pin turns are at the bottom of the downgrade and both have drop offs on the outside of the turn. I went last year to the February track day and it was absolutly freezing. I remember it didn't get above 40 degrees. With the cold weather you really have to be careful the you warm up your tyres. After the turn 1 and up the hill the first left turn is extreamely patchy pavement. As Tom said earlier the track does have its slick spots. Just avoid the slick line and you will be fine.

If I had to say one sentence about Oak Hill it would be "If you respect it's technicality it will give you one awesome trackday."

And even though it was freezing and devil's drop claimed my bike I still love that track.
IIRC, two years ago it was 21* for our first practice/ trackday for the Friday CMRA event. Gabe McLendon was railing on his RS125 on SLICKS in the wet! Everyone was shocked at the traction available, and some folks even got down to the mid-20's lap times in that weather. It's freakishly grippy in the wet/ cold.

It was so cold that year that my bike's coolant froze IN the trailer over night! The next race at Cresson, my bike popped a freeze plug in the head (no doubt from the freeze it too the month before) and spoiled the track for the rest of the afternoon in the "Rattlesnake" at Cresson Not to mention it eff'd up my bodywork with the resultant crash. Got it all on vid though
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #15
roja
Roger

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR F4i
SV650 (Track)

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to roja
Awesome information guys! Just what I was looking for. I'm still weighing whether or not to go...I'm looking for a small trailer and a new pop-up.
Yeah I've had about 9 or so track days, but all at Jennings...you tend to get used to that one track, which why I'm so glad to see so many here, you can change it up. Oak Hill did appear a little tight just from the pics...JGP was technical but wide, so it was forgiving...sometimes
I would take it slow for sure, it's been awhile since my last track day.
Anyway, thanks again...great info!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roja View Post
Awesome information guys! Just what I was looking for. I'm still weighing whether or not to go...I'm looking for a small trailer and a new pop-up.
Yeah I've had about 9 or so track days, but all at Jennings...you tend to get used to that one track, which why I'm so glad to see so many here, you can change it up. Oak Hill did appear a little tight just from the pics...JGP was technical but wide, so it was forgiving...sometimes
I would take it slow for sure, it's been awhile since my last track day.
Anyway, thanks again...great info!
Take it slow at first, ask any one of us for help, and enjoy the day. Don't be the guy that pushes too hard on the first track day of the season only to toss the bike down the track

You'll love it if you liked Jennings.

The other two tracks on our schedule you'll love is Cresson and Eagle's Canyon.

Hit me up if you have more questions and look for me at the track
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Don't be the guy that pushes too hard on the first track day of the season only to toss the bike down the track
Naw, that guy will probably be me :p
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #18
kawasakijockey
Crotchrocket Scientist

Bike(s):
2007 zx14
2002 cbr954
1977 kz1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
IIRC, two years ago it was 21* for our first practice/ trackday for the Friday CMRA event. Gabe McLendon was railing on his RS125 on SLICKS in the wet! Everyone was shocked at the traction available, and some folks even got down to the mid-20's lap times in that weather. It's freakishly grippy in the wet/ cold.

It was so cold that year that my bike's coolant froze IN the trailer over night! The next race at Cresson, my bike popped a freeze plug in the head (no doubt from the freeze it too the month before) and spoiled the track for the rest of the afternoon in the "Rattlesnake" at Cresson Not to mention it eff'd up my bodywork with the resultant crash. Got it all on vid though

I was there, got down to 1:29 laps and was spinning sideways out of turn 3 and 5 every lap. Last session of the day and first lap at turn 3, went down and broke my collarbone. Maybe you remember. My favorite track by far and not for beginners at all. BTW, I 'm new here.
kawasakijockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakijockey View Post
I was there, got down to 1:29 laps and was spinning sideways out of turn 3 and 5 every lap. Last session of the day and first lap at turn 3, went down and broke my collarbone. Maybe you remember. My favorite track by far and not for beginners at all. BTW, I 'm new here.
I think you were the only one that day too! Not because everyone was riding at a safer pace, but mostly because everyone was so cold they came in after 3 or 5 laps because their hands were so cold!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
To the OP: Welcome to Texas. Hope to see you out on the track this year. If you like Jennings, you're going to really like Texas tracks.

I rode Jennings for the first time just 2 months ago and it was a fun track! I will definitely go back next time I'm in Flroida. But Texas tracks are better Have fun.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement