MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #21
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
How about an FZ1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
come on man, you gots to look da part!!!
my VFR looks the part is a fair commuter
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 gsxr 1000 with a 07 gsxer 1000 motor in it??? mrjohnican General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-22-2015 08:07 AM
Honda cbr1000 or Yamaha r1 wHo PeTE General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 06-01-2013 08:27 PM
'06 GSXR 1000 Rear Seat on '07 GSXR 600? Triple T General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-18-2011 03:07 PM
05 GSXR 1000 gauge mount fit 06 GSXR 600? moose2590 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-11-2011 10:43 AM
R1 vs GSX1000 vs CBR1000 vs ZX10 Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 10-15-2008 01:57 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #22
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
For a commuter bike, why would anybody ride a GSXR, CBR, or R1? Definitely better choices for commuting.
I totally agree. I have an 06 FZ6 with 36000 miles on it that i commute on and I love it. You have a FZ6 too, why give up the comfortable ride of it for the ride of any of those you are considering? Just a thought.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
get a super duke, like maxgs said, why get any of those for just commuting. Now if your mind is still set to any of those get the new R1, sounds awesome plus for the type of riding you will be doing and maintenance, any of them will be ok.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #24
Got-Busa?

What is your primary function of the bike and what other plans do you have for it....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBritt04R6 View Post
I've sat on an 08 R1, and an 08 CBR. Haven't sat on a Gixxer yet. I guess I should have mentioned that I won't be getting a 2009 - I'll stick to the 08's so I can have the bargaining room.

Britt
If you shop around, you can get an 09 for maybe $200 more than an 08. That's a no brain-er if you are willing to travel...

ALL are great bikes, I would get the one that FITS you the best and you feel the most comfortable on. I haven't ridden one of the new GSXR1K's but loved my CBR and R1 that I had. I would recommend any of the three...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

The 1000 cc engine will give you more versatility, and make it easier to scoot out of sticky situations quicker than on a smaller machine, without having to downshift a few times. My biggest about a 600 or smaller was having to rev the snot out of it to stay where you had any real power.

I absolutely love my 06, and put 22,000 miles on my 05 Gixxer 1K in 18 months. It is comfy, has a short reach to the bars, and I can flatfoot the bike with BOTH feet. It wouldn’t be my 1st choice for a commuter bike though. However, out of the three you listed, I’d go with the Gixxer.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #26
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm not trying to "look" like anything, I just like nice equipment. Why buy a 52" LCD when a smaller size will do the same job?

Regarding the Kawi suggestion - I've always heard they have headshake probs?

i'm a huge honda fan and i love the way the new cbr1000 look.. yamahas are also great bikes.. since you said your more of a commutor, ergonomics and fit i would think are a big consideration.. make sure you sit on all the bikes. Hondas and yamahas generally have the highest re-sale value.. and good choice staying away from the buell. ..My buddy complains of headshake on his kawi.. it's also a few years old though. i havn't ridden one personally though..

i suggest ride honda though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:18 PM   #27
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Britt, you are welcome to come ride my 07'R1 if it will help you make a decision. I enjoy it, but I'm sure the others in this list are excellent as well. I do like the slipper clutch for trackwork, and the variable velocity stacks along with other Patrick-related goodies make this much more of a tracktool than I am capable of pushing to the edge.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #28
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
he asked a specific question & doesn't care about outside the box.

he wasn't looking at 750s so your reply is not helpful in anyway, shape, or form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txferrari View Post
ZX10R

outside the box? yes or no?

where your post berrating him?
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #29
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
Britt, you are welcome to come ride my 07'R1 if it will help you make a decision. I enjoy it, but I'm sure the others in this list are excellent as well. I do like the slipper clutch for trackwork, and the variable velocity stacks along with other Patrick-related goodies make this much more of a tracktool than I am capable of pushing to the edge.
Man! I appreciate the offer! I can't get any of the dealerships to let me test ride, ( except for Buell, but that option is out ).

I'll holler at you, maybe Saturday afternoon.

B
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #30
Polo1000RR

Bike(s):
2007 CBR 1000 RR
2003 600 RR

Whats wrong with buell? imo a buell or something with that type of geometry is alot better for commuting. I commuted on my 1000 RR for a while and in traffic it sucks. The way you sit on any sportbike is not good for commuting. A cross would be better. Busas are really comfortable. just my .02
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

the fz1 is near the top of my list for next bike, not only for the comfort aspect, but also the insurance is about 1/2 that of an r1.

and i figure for the difference in price (of the ones i'm looking at) i might as get a slightly used fz1 and mod it to my tastes.

but the CBR for sexiness...
Old 01-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #32
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Bandit?
VFR?
Z1000?
FZ1?
As far as I know, these are big commuter bikes.
I tried commuting on a 600 and life can be a lot easier in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of the SB's but if I had to pick one, it would either be the 1125R or the GSX-R1000.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #33
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #34
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I have an '08 gsxr 1k and I like it. I've had an '08 R1 and an '06 CBR 1K in my garage while we were all performing routine maintenance. Both the R1 and CBR are a pain in the to work with in comparison to the gsxr. Taking the plastics on and off appeared to be the equivalent of working on a chinese puzzle, while you can removed the plastics on a gixxer with 4 screws per side.

I was also surprised to find that the R1 and CBR didn't have adjustable rear sets. That fine tuning is nice to have, although now I'm running vortex. The only area where the gsxr isn't up to snuff is the front master cylinder. While fine for the street, I think it leaves something to be desired for the track. The R1 with the stock brembo mc has a great feel.
I know he said he wasn't going with the 09, but:
The 09 R1 has adjustable rearsets. It is supposed to finally have some low end power now, which will come in useful for street riding. I would not recommend an 08 or lower R1 because all of the power is way up high in the rev's and is better suited for track.

I am not sure about the plastics on the new R1, but mine are very easy to remove and put on. All of the screws come stock 1/4 turn. I can change my spark plugs by removing 2 screws.

The CBR plastics, and working on the CBR's in general, seems to be more of a pain in the to me. You can even crack the plastics by over tightening the screws because the plastics screw together.

If you are going to go all out and not do track days, have you considered a busa or zx14? They are pretty comfortable bikes. They are a bit heavy so I am not sure about commuting with them. Maybe some of the owners can chime in.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #35
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
he asked a specific question & doesn't care about outside the box.

he wasn't looking at 750s so your reply is not helpful in anyway, shape, or form.
wooooooooooooooo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
outside the box? yes or no?

where your post berrating him?
come on man, you're like the black guy in a room with 5 white guys interviewing for a job before the EEOC. you already know you're gonna get singled out.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #36
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Some of the replies on this thread are just dumb.

Just man up and buy which ever 1000 you like the best when you sit on it.....They all haul , they all handle well and they all stop well. Get which one you are the most comfortable on and the one you like the looks of the best. Some do have better power bands then others but coming from R6, even the weak low end on a R1 will feel like a monster truck to you.

Also consider buying out of state, it will save you a ton of money. Local dealers are crooks. Check the dealers in Missouri, they often have killer deals on Zukes and Yamis.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:01 PM   #37
lonnief2
Kind of a troll now

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
totally totaled

Send a message via AIM to lonnief2 Send a message via Yahoo to lonnief2 Send a message via Skype™ to lonnief2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post

Just man up and buy which ever 1000 you like the best when you sit on it.....They all haul , they all handle well and they all stop well. Get which one you are the most comfortable on and the one you like the looks of the best. Some do have better power bands then others but coming from R6, even the weak low end on a R1 will feel like a monster truck to you.

Also consider buying out of state, it will save you a ton of money. Local dealers are crooks. Check the dealers in Missouri, they often have killer deals on Zukes and Yamis.
thats some of the best advice i've seen on this thread, most ppl have already said go with whats more comfy for YOU, what looks and feels the best to YOU but also looking out of state, even i ran across the border to Louisiana and saved over 2,000 bucks for the EXACT same bike
lonnief2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #38
shsu1k

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 750

R1
shsu1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #39
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post

Wow, I hadn't even considered that. Why is Texas higher than other states?

I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #40
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't even considered that. Why is Texas higher than other states?

I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Britt
I don't know....they just seem to discount more then other dealers here. Most dealers here sell for MSRP or right under it. Get a Cycle Trader mag, then look at the color, 1 pg adds, usually those are various dealers in Tx, sometimes you can find some good deals there. I can't remember the name of the dealer in Missouri, maybe it was Mississippi, my buddy has bought 2 bikes from the same dealer. You still pay for the dealer prep, then when you get to Texas, you have to pay the TTL. You still come out quite a bit cheaper, even paying for the gas to go get it. My buddy bought an 04 R1 from them new back then and it was $9100 with the dealer prep and ext warranty included....came back to Tx and paid the TTL which was like $850. He got out for $10k OTD. At the time, MSRP was like $11,299 + TTL here....

Just shop around is all I'm saying...most of the dealers here are selling at MSRP but you can get cheaper.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement