MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #81
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
SV650

Send a message via AIM to Starkiller Send a message via Yahoo to Starkiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
i dunno but it caught my eye when i was lookin through the job listings at the recruiting station.

O_O You actually want to carry around a SAW Machine gun? I wanted the same thing, and i got my wish... That thing is a pain in the to lug around on patrols, and a bigger pain in the to clean. 240B and 249B are basically the same thing (SAWs), except the 249 is more compact... still both are a pain in the ... I would rather sling the M4 anyday of the month. But other then that, the SAW does do some damage, no one wants to be caught in a firefight on the other half when you have that weapon in your arsenal. A 50 cal Beret is heavy aswell... but that " Gun" rips people inhalf, I would love to be the operator of that bad boy.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP FOR MY SOLDIER sonsofnece Stolen Bike Reports 19 08-18-2011 07:36 AM
Help out a soldier FieroReinke General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-05-2009 09:17 PM
If Azylum Were A Soldier FastLine Off Topic 10 05-22-2009 03:36 PM
soldier talking Javi Off Topic 1 05-29-2007 05:14 PM
the soldier and the nun bentgixxer Off Topic 2 05-08-2006 04:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #82
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Quote:
i dunno but it caught my eye when i was lookin through the job listings at the recruiting station.
I spent 8 months in the regular Marine Corps Infantry before moving to the dark side.

Shoot me any questions you have if youre curious how a regular Line Company operates in regards to weapons assignments, living arrangments, daily operational life, etc...

A 249, depending on the modification, can be an awkward weapon to manuever with. Especially in a CQB environment. Its an impressive weapon to utilize but its a pain to maintain and it has a nasty tendency to jam.

And being in regular Line Company you will do what they call 'hump'....which means you will get all geared up, pack your kit to weigh 80 or so pounds. Get in a line, and march for a set amount of distance...7 to 12 miles. Over hills, mountaind, all over your particular base. And humping that friggin weapon is a PAIN.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 PM   #83
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper1 View Post
And humping that friggin weapon is a PAIN.
You ain't lying
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #84
chrisd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'07 750

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to chrisd
Quote:
I spent 8 months in the regular Marine Corps Infantry before moving to the dark side.

Shoot me any questions you have if youre curious how a regular Line Company operates in regards to weapons assignments, living arrangments, daily operational life, etc...

A 249, depending on the modification, can be an awkward weapon to manuever with. Especially in a CQB environment. Its an impressive weapon to utilize but its a pain to maintain and it has a nasty tendency to jam.

And being in regular Line Company you will do what they call 'hump'....which means you will get all geared up, pack your kit to weigh 80 or so pounds. Get in a line, and march for a set amount of distance...7 to 12 miles. Over hills, mountaind, all over your particular base. And humping that friggin weapon is a PAIN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
You ain't lying

Y'all aint lying. I hated lugging that thing around all the time, especially around the "base" and to the DFAC. But when it came time to hit Hwy 1, I loved her to death.

Never had her jam on me though. And that fact that I was assigned 1600 rounds for her was cool until I had to carry that plus the extra barrel that we were assigned
chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #85
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
Y'all aint lying. I hated lugging that thing around all the time, especially around the "base" and to the DFAC. But when it came time to hit Hwy 1, I loved her to death.

Never had her jam on me though. And that fact that I was assigned 1600 rounds for her was cool until I had to carry that plus the extra barrel that we were assigned
It's just not a fun weapon to carry or clean... but other then that, I love having it in a fire fight.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #86
Speedfreak
Bleed Green

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha R6
'05 Kawi ZX10 (RIP)
'05 Kawi ZX10 the current mistress

what are the requirments or whatever to become a sniper? like do you have to score something or do they just pick and choose basically everything?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #87
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
what are the requirments or whatever to become a sniper? like do you have to score something or do they just pick and choose basically everything?
you have to have good eyesight and shoot about 35/40 targets down to qualify on your marksmanship test i think. other then that, i don't think basic infantry or w/e gets a sniper. go for the combat shotgun! those things look boss.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #88
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Quote:
Requirements? Score at least 110 on your GT score....20/20 vision....First Class PFT score...Expert Rifle Score (though some will allow a Sharpshooter Score)...recomendations from your chain of command, etc., etc..

You can be either an Infantry Battalion Sniper or a Reconnassaince Sniper. All attend the same Basic Sniper Course, just apply it in different fashions within the two units.

Every Unit is different in how they handle Selection. You can try out when they hold tryouts, or you can be asked. I was in a Recon Battalion and my Team needed a Sniper, and being as how I was a 3rd Award Expert. I got chosen to go.

Regular Infantry Battalions have Sniper Platoons that run Indocs every 6 months or so...

2 weeks of running, swimming, crawling, tests, shooting, more tests, running, multiple interviews.....basically thrashing you to the point of no return. Seeing how far you can take it. 4 hours of sleep a night for 2 weeks straight. Out of 20 that tried out...4 will probably make it. All just to see if they can get into the Sniper Platoon itself.

Once in, youre the cherry...you spend all your free time cleaning rifles, taking tests, training, running, swmming. No free time. Hoping for a slot at Sniper School.

You get two tries for Sniper School. Fail twice and youre gone back to your original unit.

Last edited by Sniper1; 01-11-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Sniper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #89
Speedfreak
Bleed Green

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'07 Yamaha R6
'05 Kawi ZX10 (RIP)
'05 Kawi ZX10 the current mistress

combat shotgun huh?? that sounds bad . i know i would rather shoot my 12 gauge with a slug over my .308 any day.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:53 AM   #90
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Speedfreak, remember the Army does things differently than the Corps does.

In a regular Line Infantry Company, not every Marine carries a shotgun. Naval Corpsman carry the Binelli and if youre a LCpl and above you can carry it as a breaching weapon used to bust locks and what not. Not as a Combat Weapon.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:58 AM   #91
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Speedfreak, remember the Army does things differently than the Corps does.

In a regular Line Infantry Company, not every Marine carries a shotgun. Naval Corpsman carry the Binelli and if youre a LCpl and above you can carry it as a breaching weapon used to bust locks and what not. Not as a Combat Weapon.

Yea thats true i guess. we had a request list for what we wanted between 249,240,m4,w/e a combat shotgun is... i think those are the only 4, And officers got pistols. now the SF has a wider array of weapons, you should try it
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #92
Sniper1
Long Range Diplomat

Bike(s):
Suzuki RM250

Quote:
now the SF has a wider array of weapons, you should try it
Are you speaking to me?

Ive been to quite a few Army schools. Ranger, Sere and SOTIC just to name a few. Im well aware of Special Operations and the weapons they utilize.

My military career was ended when a Muj Sniper decided I was worth his time.

The weapons the Army Infantry use is the same as the Marine Corps. we just have a different set of orginization as to what goes where.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #93
Starkiller
Relentlessaurus Rex

Bike(s):
SV650

Quote:
Are you speaking to me?

Ive been to quite a few Army schools. Ranger, Sere and SOTIC just to name a few. Im well aware of Special Operations and the weapons they utilize.

My military career was ended when a Muj Sniper decided I was worth his time.

The weapons the Army Infantry use is the same as the Marine Corps. we just have a different set of orginization as to what goes where.
Haha, I was bragging on the weapons you guys use. I saw the armsroom here and was amazed at all the different kinds of weapons you are able to use, not to mention SF generally gets to choose their weapon of choice.

You were sniped? ughhh that has to blow, but atleast ure in good shape
Old 01-15-2009, 12:22 AM   #94
miraculous dan
Quality tuna fish.

Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
Honda VFR

Quote:
, I hated MEPS. Horrible food and every swinging E-5 and below in the building fancies his or herself as a Drill Instructor, yelling at everyone.

Place blows. Plus they make you sleep overnight in that hotel, with no contact with anyone.
Going to be at MEPS all day tomorrow. It'll be the fourth and hopefully last time I'll have to go up there. Application is submitted and goes before the selection board in February...
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 AM   #95
Urban Ninja
Phuc Dat

Bike(s):
Yamaha FZR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraculous dan View Post
Going to be at MEPS all day tomorrow. It'll be the fourth and hopefully last time I'll have to go up there. Application is submitted and goes before the selection board in February...

Any idea which branch?
Urban Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 AM   #96
miraculous dan
Quality tuna fish.

Bike(s):
Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
Any idea which branch?
I'm applying for Air Force OTS. I started the application process last JUNE.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #97
miraculous dan
Quality tuna fish.

Bike(s):
Honda VFR

And I counted wrong, this will be the 5th time I've gone to MEPS.

Advertisement