MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 AM   #21
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stock steering damper beto_rjr General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 07-02-2011 10:39 AM
steering damper? agentorange General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 10-02-2009 11:54 PM
Need help with steering damper ChuckR1 Taking it to the Track 24 02-19-2009 09:51 PM
steering damper jrock Performance and Modifications 13 04-04-2006 04:56 PM
Need a steering damper! ends big egos General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 02-22-2006 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Do you ride hard on the streets? Like very hard? Do you or are you intending on doing track days on this bike? What was your reasoning for buying a dampner? I didnt buy a dampner until my 6th or 7th track day. MY street bike still has the HESD stock dampner, and setting down wheelies, at an angle, because of the wind, is really the only time I have gotten head shake or lil slappers worth noting.

Just curious.

several reasons.....

1. Got tired of being blown all over the road with heavy winds.

2. out of the 6k miles i have on this bike, 4k of them are on 149, 3090, an similar roads...last group ride I went on I was hanging with guys who had much faster bikes then me and had been riding much longer. Already been told I should be riding on better tires than the bt021 tires on the bike right now.

3. I intend on doing track days this spring.

and the biggest reason!!

4. I found a great deal on the damper and went for it!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #23
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Has your suspension been set for you? Ideally, the damper should be run on it's lowest setting and should be more or less invisible.

A damper is not the cure for being blown around on windy days.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #24
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
Has your suspension been set for you? Ideally, the damper should be run on it's lowest setting and should be more or less invisible.

A damper is not the cure for being blown around on windy days.
nope, but it sure helps when you get hit by a crosswind that is 25+ mph, which happens a lot more often I would think.

I have not had suspension set at Motorcycles Unlimited...but there is only so much you can do with a suspension designed for a 160 lb rider and you put 240 lbs of geared up rider on there. I have gone through and played with it, read a lot of settings others have used, and followed one fairly well written guide on setting it. I do know that since I did that my speeds and control improved a LOT in the turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i've been told about getting better tires by people slower than me
I was told that buy guys who are faster than me, though I am a long way from fast i have had both the front and and back end step out more than once, and about half the time I can easily point to or suspect rider error, but other times I can only guess that having hard tires on a colder road, tires that are designed for high mileage on a touring bike, is not going to be the best plan for harder riding...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #25
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

no offense, but you ride an f4i, one of the MOST STABLE bikes on the road.

I havent met a guy yet thats needed a damper for one... lol

if something is shaky, id say check suspension. and air pressures/ tires...
Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
no offense, but you ride an f4i, one of the MOST STABLE bikes on the road.

I havent met a guy yet thats needed a damper for one... lol

if something is shaky, id say check suspension. and air pressures/ tires...
No one says you need one... no one NEEDS most of the bikes we ride or the parts we put on them...

air pressure is good, i check it every 2-3 weeks, bike has 7k miles on it and BEFORE the damper was fine except the loose steering (which was similar to otehr f4 and f3's I have ridden, much looser than yamahas, suzukis and kawis), and will have race tech parts for the suspension all brand new very soon.

Wear patterns on the tire do not indicate low pressure, uneven suspension damping, or worn suspension. Tire wear is even and well centered.

I have even had a technician with more experience than me (he had been at the dealer for 5ish years and been through every kawi/victory certification there is) ride the bike pre damper and there were no problems then....adding the damper changed things a lot.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #27
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

low oil in the damper...

one of the o-rings was allowing oil to seep out, and this is leading to choppy damping.

Looks like one o-ring to be replaced and getting it filled with oil, and the oil looks a LOT like fork oil I have used before.

If anyone knows what oil it takes as well as if there is a procedure for refilling let me know!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 AM   #28
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

http://gprstabilizer.com/downloads/G...edingInstr.pdf

good info for anyone with a GPR damper. looks like 5wt fork oil on this and it will take me about half an hour, already found a nice o-ring in my old car ac parts kit.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #29
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
i have used sport touring tires for every trackday so far and have not had a single problem. granted i'm not on a high horspower bike... i will say on the street i have had the tires slip in a corner but i have to consider that the street is not a race track. i will be getting a different front tire for the track in a month or two though lol starting to get a little faster and want to be able to give total trust to the rubber under me

anyways best of luck figuring out what is going on and getting the issue fixed
mucho gracias. by this time tomorrow it will be all good.

I am really looking at getting a second set of wheels, putting something like a bt016 on it for weekends and track use, and keep the bt021s since I may end up commuting 500 miles a week for the next nine months...I cannot say I am displeased with the tires, but I think I would have more confidence with stickier rubber. Nothing to worry about though, I can keep getting better regardless!

Advertisement