MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #21
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

willie, i might be requiring your services. that's an offer i cant say no to. my dad has helped me out a lot, but he's in the dark even more than i am.
and yeah, if you wind up in county, it's good to have a friend in the picket. i just helped an old boss of mine get a pretty desirable trustee job. he's in jail for some crazy stuff, but he's a good dude.

seriously though. sucks to ride around town and then next time i go to start the bike up, no bueno.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fbi wont charge st louis cop pester Off Topic 0 01-21-2015 09:06 PM
Bike wont start? Fastola How To's and Q & A's 11 09-23-2012 03:20 PM
Battery wont charge on 2007 gsx r 600 ? peytonspoppop How To's and Q & A's 4 02-08-2012 12:44 PM
NEED HELP PLEASE BIKE WONT START gsxrboi General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 04-29-2007 11:42 PM
Bike wont start.... Red_Rocket Taking it to the Track 19 02-19-2006 02:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #22
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
At the the shop our voltmeter can do draw also....
An amp clamp (or commonly called amprobe) works different. On a meter you have to disconnect the wire and put the meter in line to measure current. On the clamp, you just clamp it around the wire you want to check. You never break the insulation or disconnect anything. Very handy.

311C130EZSL SL500 AA280
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #23
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

the shop i used to work at we had a solis and a modis. and some other but they spared no expense. my boss also had the Snap on Mr. Big tool box. basically the biggest box you can order from snap on. like 6 or 7 bank tool box with side cabinets. crazy : /
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #24
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Motorcycles will not run with the battery removed. Every circuit on the bike's electrical system pulls directly off the battery. The stator, reg/rect merely put current back into the battery.

SV650s are known to have charging problems. Do as mentioned above, fully charge the battery first, make sure it holds atleast 12.5v when sitting. Then start the bike and check the voltage at the terminals again at 4-5k rpms, if its not 13.5-14.5v, then the system is not working.

If the system is not charging, find the regulator/rectifier, its usually on the LH side in the tail section and check the wires going into the plug on it. I bet the wires or the plug itself is melted. If they are, just cut the wires, remove the plug all together and solder/heat shrink the wires directly with no plug. IT should charge great then. Also check all of your ground connections and cable connections for corrosion.

Once you get it charging fine, if the battery dies after sitting, then the battery is bad.

Google SV650 charging problems, you will find tons of info.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:15 PM   #25
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
An amp clamp (or commonly called amprobe) works different. On a meter you have to disconnect the wire and put the meter in line to measure current. On the clamp, you just clamp it around the wire you want to check. You never break the insulation or disconnect anything. Very handy.

311C130EZSL SL500 AA280
Dude why am I not included in these fantastic advancements in technology! LMAO

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #26
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Dam my little world only goes as far as my shop...

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #27
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
(lots of good stuff here)
very informative post, i thankee kindly sir!
i hope i can make it over to your place tomorrow, willie. our 3 year old has been hella work for my wife lately and she might need a break tomorrow. if sunday doesnt work out, how about monday?
what kind of beer shall i bring?
Old 01-04-2009, 12:11 AM   #28
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
very informative post, i thankee kindly sir!
i hope i can make it over to your place tomorrow, willie. our 3 year old has been hella work for my wife lately and she might need a break tomorrow. if sunday doesnt work out, how about monday?
what kind of beer shall i bring?
lol bring what you want to drink, I am a non drinker (I make exceptions for my wifes birthday and anniversary though). any day is good this is my last week before HFD fire academy so i have nothing but time. If its easier I can bring a few things and ride over to your place as well, time is all mine!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #29
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

my bike is gay. i cant wait to get my income tax refund. my new kid should help me pretty well in getting a new (to me) bike. anyone with a good running cosmetically decent mid 90's sportbike under 1000cc's wanna sell it to me later this spring? a vfr would be cool. or a fzr 400. im not too picky

my bike is gay though, and i think it needs a new starter related thing... which will have to wait until the next paycheck. being forced to take 2 extra wheels and an additional 1500 or so pounds with me to work just isnt fun.

edit: oh yeah, never made it out to value's house. anyone with young kids can probably relate.
edit 2: oh, and if you are looking for a 1st gen sv hit me up! i think i might be about ready to sell this . i love this bike, but , i like to ride once in a while, too.

Last edited by loosenoose; 01-07-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: more stuff
Old 01-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #30
Captain
The Beast

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
GSX-R 1000

Member Garage

Ride the thing more often...lol!!!!!
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:36 AM   #31
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

it's my daily ride to work and then usually at least 1 pleasure ride on my weekends
i have jumped the bike before work a couple of times fully aware i would need a jump to get it going when i left work. im tired of all that work. i want to fix it and get a different bike. the sv was great to learn on. i'd like a new toy now.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #32
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Did you try any of the simple stuff we told you to check? Do you have a cheap voltmeter? Its probably gonna be something stupid, you just have to find it. Fix it right and ride/enjoy it. You will end up having to work on a mid 90s sportbike also....you have to work on all of em at some point.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
Bean
you like apples?

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
K3 GSXR 600

werd
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #34
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i dont have a volt meter. i was going to take it to value's place, but when i tried the bike wouldnt start. there is a very rapid clicking coming from a green box on the right side under the seat. the starter (or whatever will sometimes turn very begrudgingly and then stop but singe the last time it did run, i got it to fire once, and i mean like *POP* and thats it. not like the engine just blew up, or anything catastrophic.

i know if i fix this issue, i will have a good bike again. with this bike though it seems like there's always something keeping me from riding it. and besides that, i want to play the field... when i get that check in the spring, thats my ticket to a new (to me) bike

edit: and i hope i dont get hyped up too much over getting another bike because whenever i do, things tend to suck.

Last edited by loosenoose; 01-07-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: the glass is half empty
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #35
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
i dont have a volt meter. i was going to take it to value's place, but when i tried the bike wouldnt start. there is a very rapid clicking coming from a green box on the right side under the seat. the starter (or whatever will sometimes turn very begrudgingly and then stop but singe the last time it did run, i got it to fire once, and i mean like *POP* and thats it. not like the engine just blew up, or anything catastrophic.

i know if i fix this issue, i will have a good bike again. with this bike though it seems like there's always something keeping me from riding it. and besides that, i want to play the field... when i get that check in the spring, thats my ticket to a new (to me) bike

edit: and i hope i dont get hyped up too much over getting another bike because whenever i do, things tend to suck.

Go to OReilys and get a voltmeter, they sell them for $19.99. Harbor Freight has them for like $6.99 but I would stick with the Actron from Oreilys. You need to pull the battery out and put it on a trickle charger and fully charge it. Jumping it and push starting it is not charging the battery up, its only fully draining it trying to run the bike with no charging system.

Its not that complicated to nail down charging problems. Google SV650 charging problems and start reading. You will find out where the regulator/rectifier is, where the plug connectors are etc. Then its just testing and process of elimination. Takes a little time though.

I chased a charging system problem on my busa for months, and that was AFTER replacing the stator, the battery and the reg/rec.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #36
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

well, i guess it was the battery after all!
the charger i had is probably nearly as old as me. so when i came out of the house and heard it hissing and popping, i unplugged it from the extension cord and took it off the bike with my shoes. i have a bit of a thing for electricity. rip van charger is now in the trash.
somewhere in the course of getting my bike working again, the lowbeam on my headlight went out. suckage.
the good side of this is that my bike now starts so easily and it is just such a pleasure to mess with now that i dont have to mess with it.
this also means that i'm going to cycle gear in a couple of days YEEEEEE!
time for a new bulb, charger, and winter gloves!

Advertisement