MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Buying and Selling Motorcycles

There are often threads posted about people getting having difficulties rising from the purchase of a used bike. I thought I might offer a little advice...

1) Don't buy from individuals on the internet. It is OK to locate a bike from an internet ad, but you should meet the seller in person, look at the bike and feel out the situation. It is also OK to make a purchase from a reputable DEALER on the net, but really you can usually find what you want locally.( I know that people have had success with Craigslist and Ebay type purchases, but if you want to avoid hassles don't do it).

2) Titles are actually important. This may get a little long but, it is critical.
When you get a title from the state, in your name, it means that they have researched and found no liens, aka claims against ownership and that the vehicle is not stolen or that your ownership is not otherwise compromised.
It means it is yours and you can prove it.(some people will say that you don't need one for a track bike, others will say that a "Bill of Sale" is just as good. They are wrong).
It is also important to transfer the title to your name as soon as possible, this helps protect you because it gives the seller less time to evaporate (if there are problems you may still be able to find them).
If there are snags like the current owner never got around to transferring to their name, etc. walk away or tell them to fix the problems first.
If you want to avoid hassles get a clear title signed by the person you are purchasing it from only.

3) Pay at the time of the sale. (that means either save up or arrange financing in advance. DO NOT enter into a "take over payments" deal.) They can work but if you want to avoid hassles, don't go there.

4) Pre-arrange insurance. (at least talk to an agent before the sale, so you know what you are getting into, sometimes that chit is expensive!).

5) Take your time, don't let influence your decisions. There are plenty of bikes for sale and if you don't get one, you will find another.
If the situation doesn't feel right for any reason, walk away.

Feel free to add other stuff I didn't think of...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote