MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #61
Dwyatt

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

Question

Are there tracks that I can use to test bike set-up and get general practice in the Houston area? I'm building a track bike for vintage class racing and need some track time to sort the jetting and suspension before hitting track days.
Dwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting Track Racing. Eddy.T Taking it to the Track 31 01-19-2011 10:23 AM
Racing Harleys at the Track! morvegil Taking it to the Track 9 09-29-2010 07:36 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Taking it to the Track 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Motorcycle Articles 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 PM   #62
amber|alexis

Experience: 4 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Dude, seriously, the last thing you need is more power on a liter bike. Trust me, for your first several, if not MANY track days, you are going to get your handed to you all day long by 600's. With your body weight, your suspension will be just fine if you get a setup done by motorcycles unlimited for $25.00 or one of the other local shops. Motorcycles Unlimited does mine, however.

My recommendation, in order, is

0. Get your suspension set up done immediately.

1. Good brake pads - Vesrah SRJL is my #1 choice, RJL's 2nd. Many guys run the top end EBC pads and are happy with them as well.

2. A front stainless steel brake line and very good fluid. Motul 600 is pretty popular. I use some more obscure stuff called Castrol SRF... expensive but highly non hygroscopic.

These things will get you through your first couple of track days. Buy gauntlet gloves and good boots. You can buy or rent leathers.

With track days under your belt, next I'd consider...

3. Lap timer

4. Stickier tires. Bridgestone 002 Ride Smart is a combination street and track tire. Quite sticky and nice. Other guys will tell you about a Pirelli equivalent. Just choose. John at South Central Race Center now carries them both.

5. Convert from antifreeze to water wetter or the motul equivalent

* this is a good time to by race stands for your bike.

And then 3, 4, 5 more track days or until you are running at the front of intermediate.

Then... and only then...

6. Race tires like the BT-003 or Pirelli equivalent. You'll also need tire warmers when you buy race tires.
7. -1 on the front sprocket or -2 on the rear.
8. Full race exhaust ... together with #9 & 10
9. Power Commander / with quick shifter
10. Dyno tune of the bike

And finally when you are getting quite fast and running in advanced

11. Fork cartridges and rear shock.... both together. At your body weight, this just isn't as big a problem as guys 200 lbs or higher or those guys 130 lbs or lighter. Now if Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited or another principal tells you there is a problem with your suspension for some reason, then I'd upgrade suspension earlier. However, it's highly unlikely that you will have an issue.

Other items to consider, although many will argue that these are just "bling" for the bike... these can be added whenever

12. Rear Sets
13. Racing levers
14. Stainless rear lines

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on the order, but this is the way I would do it.

awesome info Curt. That will help novices as well as some more-seasoned vets. definitely copying and pasting that to keep on my puter.

amber|alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #63
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwyatt View Post
Are there tracks that I can use to test bike set-up and get general practice in the Houston area? I'm building a track bike for vintage class racing and need some track time to sort the jetting and suspension before hitting track days.
What kind of bike? If it's a small two-smoker, you can go to Katy for a nominal annual fee.

Otherwise, you can piggyback on someone that you know that has a membership to either Grand Sport Speedway (South Houston) or Mercedes Benz Sugar Land Road Course (Angleton). Usually costs $250 in guest fees in Angleton, I don't know about guest fees at GSS.

Personally, I'd just get the jetting close (let's face it, that's going to change day by day anyway) and hit a track day. It cost much less.

Of course, if you have a racing license, you can hit up Oak Hill in Henderson. 3.5 hour drive from Houston, but costs $125/ day if you have a license outside of CMRA (like WERA, CCS), $75/day if you have a CMRA license.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 AM   #64
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

dang 75$ a day with cmra... thats good but not enough to save for that drive no local places with perks for cmra?

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #65
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
dang 75$ a day with cmra... thats good but not enough to save for that drive no local places with perks for cmra?
The CMRA has an affiliation with that track almost to an ownership standpoint. Long story and not usual with any other race org I know of.

The only way you're going to ride the local tracks is:

Get a membership which costs a ton

Have a friend that has a membership and pay $250/ day to ride with him (unless he's generous and "gives" you one of his free passes)

Go to a track day there
Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #66
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

OK, sounds like track days will be my best choice. I should be close on jetting and suspension now, and can adjust between sessions and probably also pick-up some advice from others there. I plan to hit a couple of the schools and later get my CMRA license, so I'll have more options then. See you at the track late summer - I'll be the slow guy on the heavily modified Yamaha 650 twin painted in Kenny Roberts colors.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #67
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Dudes, hit the track and never look back!!! It is all so well worth it. Just be prepared to be completely addicted.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #68
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Ridesmart will have their first trackday on feb 14th at Grand Sport Speedway..
that's what i'm talking about!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #69
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Dude, seriously, the last thing you need is more power on a liter bike. Trust me, for your first several, if not MANY track days, you are going to get your handed to you all day long by 600's. With your body weight, your suspension will be just fine if you get a setup done by motorcycles unlimited for $25.00 or one of the other local shops. Motorcycles Unlimited does mine, however.

My recommendation, in order, is

0. Get your suspension set up done immediately.

1. Good brake pads - Vesrah SRJL is my #1 choice, RJL's 2nd. Many guys run the top end EBC pads and are happy with them as well.

2. A front stainless steel brake line and very good fluid. Motul 600 is pretty popular. I use some more obscure stuff called Castrol SRF... expensive but highly non hygroscopic.

These things will get you through your first couple of track days. Buy gauntlet gloves and good boots. You can buy or rent leathers.

With track days under your belt, next I'd consider...

3. Lap timer

4. Stickier tires. Bridgestone 002 Ride Smart is a combination street and track tire. Quite sticky and nice. Other guys will tell you about a Pirelli equivalent. Just choose. John at South Central Race Center now carries them both.

5. Convert from antifreeze to water wetter or the motul equivalent

* this is a good time to by race stands for your bike.

And then 3, 4, 5 more track days or until you are running at the front of intermediate.

Then... and only then...

6. Race tires like the BT-003 or Pirelli equivalent. You'll also need tire warmers when you buy race tires.
7. -1 on the front sprocket or -2 on the rear.
8. Full race exhaust ... together with #9 & 10
9. Power Commander / with quick shifter
10. Dyno tune of the bike

And finally when you are getting quite fast and running in advanced

11. Fork cartridges and rear shock.... both together. At your body weight, this just isn't as big a problem as guys 200 lbs or higher or those guys 130 lbs or lighter. Now if Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited or another principal tells you there is a problem with your suspension for some reason, then I'd upgrade suspension earlier. However, it's highly unlikely that you will have an issue.

Other items to consider, although many will argue that these are just "bling" for the bike... these can be added whenever

12. Rear Sets
13. Racing levers
14. Stainless rear lines

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on the order, but this is the way I would do it.
Good list, Curt

I believe he meant +2 on the rear, though.

The R1's run great with -1 front and +2 on the rear (and if you do it, might as well go to a 520 size). The front tire likes to come up once you get in the high rev's, but it really helps on the corner exits because our yamahas don't have much power down low.

Remember to change your oil before and after each track day.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #70
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
I'll be the slow guy on the heavily modified Yamaha 650 twin painted in Kenny Roberts colors.
What are you worried about jetting for then? Isn't that a 4 stroke machine? Take it to your favorite competent dyno guy and you'll be fine.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #71
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
Good list, Curt

I believe he meant +2 on the rear, though.

The R1's run great with -1 front and +2 on the rear (and if you do it, might as well go to a 520 size). The front tire likes to come up once you get in the high rev's, but it really helps on the corner exits because our yamahas don't have much power down low.

Remember to change your oil before and after each track day.
Ha ha ha. Good catch. -1 on the front or +2 on the rear.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #72
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

Dyno tuning is in the plan. Any idea how much this will cost if I have the bike in the ball park before I go? This baby will need evrything right to hit 70 hp, should stiil be enough to stain my shorts. I just hate to waste track day time making adjustments, but probably enough time between sessions do handle it all.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #73
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Dyno tuning is in the plan. Any idea how much this will cost if I have the bike in the ball park before I go? This baby will need evrything right to hit 70 hp, should stiil be enough to stain my shorts. I just hate to waste track day time making adjustments, but probably enough time between sessions do handle it all.
Get your baseline by reading the plugs (ala "old school" tuning) and then take it to Andy at Metric Motorcycles in the Heights. In-house dyno, and a brilliant tuner. Fantastic shop.

Cost? Well, quality costs money. You can get a cheap tune anywhere. Getting one that works well... cost money. The best thing is though, you won't be disappointed and he guarantees his work.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #74
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

Not looking to go cheap, I'll have $7k+ in this '83 vintage scooter by the time I get it running, just haven't had a dyno tune and want to know the ball park damage.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2009, 07:53 AM   #75
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Unfortunately, it depends on how much tuning they have to do- aka jetting changes cost time = $$$.

When I ran a 1st gen SV, it took quite a while to jet it because it was way off. Not normal jetting, but jetting to optimize the performance/ hp and usable range. Obviously, I was really impressed with the outcome.

Depending on what you want the results to be, it could cost up to $500 depending of course on how many times the carbs have to be pulled and jets changed ya know. It may not be that much though if it's already close- hence the reason I suggest trying to get it as close as you can before taking it to them.

Cool looking bike, got any bigger pics or can you host it on photobucket (free to do that) so we can see it a little better?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #76
05cbreezy636
lean with it

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
05 636 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
that R1 has more power than you know what to do with. believe that. do NOT listen to the guys at starbucks, they will get you killed.

use the money you have set aside for tires, tire warmers, stands, leathers, etc. there are some mods you can do for better handling and braking, but power is NOT something you need to be looking into, lol. good luck mang, track riding is a friggin blast.
+1
05cbreezy636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #77
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Ridesmart will have their first trackday on feb 14th at Grand Sport Speedway..
I talked the Ridesmart Dave yesterday and they are hosting 6 trackdays at MSRH this year.

$120 for a track day! FTW

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #78
Dwyatt

Bike(s):
2000 HD Superglide
1983 Yamaha XS-700 RR
1978 Maico 440 Magnum
1956 Blonde TX Gal

Member Garage

I will have basic jetting pretty close before I go to the dyno, just waiting for ported head, new pistons and cam to come in. SAme as you, I want dyno tune to optimize the engine, anything less than $500 is OK by me. I have better pictures in my gallery on another site, 650rider.com. It's a Yamaha 650cult page, have a look. You shouldn't have any trouble picking me out on track days this summer, only dinosaur out there wailing away.