MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
alaska_rider
Enjoying the HEAT!!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Red 07 R1

Send a message via Yahoo to alaska_rider
TRACK RACING.... CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

Iím 33 have been riding since Iíve been 19 but it has only been street riding; need some guidance in all areas of track riding. I want to learn so I am a sponge, wanting to learn from someone who has experience in this area. Thanks
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting Track Racing. Eddy.T Taking it to the Track 31 01-19-2011 10:23 AM
Racing Harleys at the Track! morvegil Taking it to the Track 9 09-29-2010 07:36 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Taking it to the Track 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Good article about Dirt-track Racing vs Road Racing Zapata Motorcycle Articles 1 04-28-2005 05:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 AM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Well, I think you have moved to one of the best cities in the US for track riding... Weve got alot of track day organizations around and alot of tracks within a relatively short distance from houston.

Check the sponsor sections for a list of all the trackday organizers and what they are about!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Track days are really going to get rolling in the early spring. There might even be one event in February. The track day companies that I've ridden with are:

RideSmart - great instruction & people, lots of participants, comparatively inexpensive. Offers video of riders, which is pretty darn cool. Tracks include Texas World Speedway, Motorsports Ranch in Cresson texas, MSR - Houston, Eagles Canyon, and maybe even others.

Texas Track Days - great instruction, great people, moderate numbers of riders, a bit higher prices. Tracks include Texas World Speedway, Motorsports Ranch in Cresson texas, MSR - Houston, Eagles Canyon, and maybe even others.

Longhorn Motorcycle School - very high level instruction, most instructors are racers, small number of riders, moderately priced. Huge amount of track time with 30 minute sessions. Not sure of all the tracks, but definitely MSR Houston. LMS seems to have a greater percentage of more experience riders.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #4
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska_rider View Post
Iím 33 have been riding since Iíve been 19 but it has only been street riding; need some guidance in all areas of track riding. I want to learn so I am a sponge, wanting to learn from someone who has experience in this area. Thanks
Just one place can help you, www.lstd.com . That is all.

Seriously though, you'll find quite a few opportunities to get your track on, with 4 tracks in Texas that the CMRA races at, and 2 tracks locally that are good for practice, you can't go wrong.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:29 AM   #5
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Track days are really going to get rolling in the early spring. There might even be one event in February. The track day companies that I've ridden with are:

RideSmart - great instruction & people, lots of participants, comparatively inexpensive. Offers video of riders, which is pretty darn cool. Tracks include Texas World Speedway, Motorsports Ranch in Cresson texas, MSR - Houston, Eagles Canyon, and maybe even others.

Texas Track Days - great instruction, great people, moderate numbers of riders, a bit higher prices. Tracks include Texas World Speedway, Motorsports Ranch in Cresson texas, MSR - Houston, Eagles Canyon, and maybe even others.

Longhorn Motorcycle School - very high level instruction, most instructors are racers, small number of riders, moderately priced. Huge amount of track time with 30 minute sessions. Not sure of all the tracks, but definitely MSR Houston. LMS seems to have a greater percentage of more experience riders.

Lonestar trackday
Elite trackday
private trackday
fixed
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:31 AM   #6
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Just one place can help you, www.lstd.com . That is all.

Seriously though, you'll find quite a few opportunities to get your track on, with 4 tracks in Texas that the CMRA races at, and 2 tracks locally that are good for practice, you can't go wrong.
Maybe this year I'll have a chance to ride with you guys, Tom. Woo hoo!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 AM   #7
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Ridesmart will have their first trackday on feb 14th at Grand Sport Speedway..
Old 12-31-2008, 01:35 AM   #8
alaska_rider
Enjoying the HEAT!!!

Bike(s):
Red 07 R1

Hey Maxgs,, Is it ok to run my stock R1 or should I concider doing things to to give some more power, I remember what was told to me at starbucks but just wanted to ask again.. I have about 3000 set aside for these modifaction I want to do, but before I start I want to do it right.. and learn from the people who have been throught it already
Old 12-31-2008, 01:36 AM   #9
1FastMF
Banned

User is banned

1FastMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:38 AM   #10
alaska_rider
Enjoying the HEAT!!!

Bike(s):
Red 07 R1

that is not what im into, but if u dont like DONT LOOK
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Hey Maxgs,, Is it ok to run my stock R1 or should I concider doing things to to give some more power, I remember what was told to me at starbucks but just wanted to ask again.. I have about 3000 set aside for these modifaction I want to do, but before I start I want to do it right.. and learn from the people who have been throught it already
that R1 has more power than you know what to do with. believe that. do NOT listen to the guys at starbucks, they will get you killed.

use the money you have set aside for tires, tire warmers, stands, leathers, etc. there are some mods you can do for better handling and braking, but power is NOT something you need to be looking into, lol. good luck mang, track riding is a friggin blast.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #12
alaska_rider
Enjoying the HEAT!!!

Bike(s):
Red 07 R1

thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastMF View Post
Don't listen to Solracer...he is still a noob And put some clothes on man.....y u wanna show urself to a bunch of dudes....unless maybe thats what ur into ???
Quote:
that is not what im into, but if u dont like DONT LOOK
dont mind that guy, alaska. hes in the closet and wants to come out so badly, just doesnt know how to express his homosexual tendencies.

plus i think hes a wee bit jealous.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:41 AM   #14
1FastMF
Banned

User is banned

Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
1FastMF
Banned

User is banned

Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 AM   #16
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastMF View Post
And don't listen to this fool as he has never even seen a track..he loops his bike at red lites !!!!!
first off, its spelled "light".

secondly, ive done a track day, and i guarantee my little six hunnerd could run circles around your liter any day.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 AM   #17
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
I don't think lack of power will be your biggest concern the first time on the track .
Old 12-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #18
alaska_rider
Enjoying the HEAT!!!

Bike(s):
Red 07 R1

I agree
Old 12-31-2008, 01:44 AM   #19
1FastMF
Banned