Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #21
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post
ive never had any clutch problems what so ever and i run castrol gtx in almost everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowblack05 View Post
i have owned over 30 bikes, in everyone i have always used basic castrol gtx 10 40 with zero issues, no clutch problems, and those that know me know i ride a bike to its complete limits
Maybe this auto motor oil has less friction modifiers than the "energy conserving" auto oils on the market. I just wanted to make sure he doesn't just buy some cheap auto oil that is not good for a wet clutch. I changed my stock clutch fibers out at 45,000 miles and they still looked pretty nice.

With owning over 30 bikes, did you have enough time to put enough miles on any of the bikes to actually give you problems?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where to find oil weight for bike bioGuru General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 04-14-2014 11:30 AM
what is the weight in oz of the weight on the right urbanXJ Off Topic 5 06-02-2011 11:35 AM
OIL WEIGHT? Pre-K General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 06-29-2008 09:53 PM
fork oil weight and quantity recommendation for GSXR 750? andrave How To's and Q & A's 18 05-31-2008 04:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #22
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
What do yall experts think about 20 50?
I really don't think you have to go that heavy on a motorcycle. There really is no need to.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #23
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
I really don't think you have to go that heavy on a motorcycle. There really is no need to.
What about stunting? I used to ride in parking lots. I will again once I am ready. I herd that it makes your bike run cooler.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:32 PM   #24
Dreamer!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
What about stunting? I used to ride in parking lots. I will again once I am ready. I herd that it makes your bike run cooler.
that heavy...?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #25
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
It maybe good where stunting is concerned. I wouldn't know without more study. The oil pump is going to have a harder time pumping it initially. The fact that you are moving at slower speeds and not drawing sufficient cooling air over your radiator is going to result in a hotter running engine which will result in your oil breaking down sooner. So you probably want your oil change intervals closer regardless of what weight oil you run. But the 20w50 will not break down as fast as a 10w40.

Here's an interesting piece of info.

In 1994, Dr. John Woolum tested the viscosity of several 10w-40 oils in his motorcycle. He found that all of the petroleum oils had lost highly significant amounts of viscosity within 1500 miles. Only Mobil-1 held up in his test. I have personally tested Delvac-1 synthetic in my ST1300. It was 5w-40 when I put it in, and 5w-25 9,200 miles later. By 1500 miles, the petroleum oils Dr. Woolum tested were at 10w-25 equivalent. By contrast, Dr. Woolum tested a petroleum oil in his Honda Accord. After 3600 miles, the 10w-40 oil was 10w-37 equivalent. Motorcycles are indeed significantly harder on their oils than cars. Based on this result and the VI (viscosity index) numbers above, it would seem that 10w-40, 5w-20, and 5w-30 oils cannot be safely used in motorcycles for more than 1,000 to 1,500 miles.

So from that we at least know what not to use.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #26
slowblack05
please

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
Maybe this auto motor oil has less friction modifiers than the "energy conserving" auto oils on the market. I just wanted to make sure he doesn't just buy some cheap auto oil that is not good for a wet clutch. I changed my stock clutch fibers out at 45,000 miles and they still looked pretty nice.

With owning over 30 bikes, did you have enough time to put enough miles on any of the bikes to actually give you problems?

i have a lot of miles under my belt, my zx10 i put 15k on it, bought it with 800 miles, and put over 30k miles on multiple gixxers combined, so yes i would say so.

although i have owned bikes for less than 1000 miles, but the majority i have owned have all been ridden more than 4k miles.

the only one i had to replace a clutch in was my zx10, right at about 13k it needed a new one, put a new one in it and it was good to go.

i know there is some oils out there that will ruin your bike, i know castrol wont, and i also know that a lot of the super duper moto oils out there are a market point.

i know a guy that puts mobil one (same as i put in my vette) in his 06 r1 with 10k on it, never had a problem either, and we all know how r1's have their clutch problems.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #27
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Oils which are labeled "energy conserving" are bad for any vehicle with a wet clutch, meaning most motorcycles. Essentially all 0w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30 oils are energy conserving and should not be used in your bike.

Advertisement