Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Forum Updates & Feedback
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

For Sale section

Once again, as some people on here would tell me.... I may be talking out of my , BUT I see more and more, people jump into For Sale threads to point out where someone can find the item the seller is selling for cheaper. Or to give the seller a hard time, with no intention of buying the item, etc.... This happened to me, to Robopath, and to others. It is very discouraging. If you know where you can find the Whizzbang 2800Deluxe for $30 cheaper than the seller is selling it, keep it to yourself. In the age of information, especially with the ability to shop and research with the internet, let the buyers do the shopping. Don't jump in and immediately kill the sellers ability to move his product. If someone comes along and is willing to pay the asked price, then both the seller and the buyer are happy. If the product does not move, then the seller may get the message and reduce his price, or not.

I propose a set of rules, something along these lines. (Slight pilferage from other boards)

Stay out of For Sale threads unless you are asking a question, or posting an offer to buy.

Sellers, there will be no multiple "bumping" within a single day.

There shall be NO WTB threads in this section period. Threads will be moved to the correct section.

Do not simply put a link to another site's for sale section. If you want to sell on MotoHouston that's fine, just take the time to either type it out here, or cut and paste from wherever else you are posting it. There are two exceptions...
1) an EBay auction
2) Link to pictures...only for pictures. Not for description and price.

You must at least attempt to put a description in the title. If it's a bunch of stuff (5 or more items) ...it's fine to say something like "Lots of stuff" or "garage sale" etc...

No multiple threads running for the same item. One is good enough, anyone interested won't be impressed by three or four of the same thing.

This is not an auction site, we aren't going to let you 'take bids'.
You MUST list a price for your item, no if's, and's or but's...

Failure to abide by these rules will result in your ad being removed.

Otherwise, all things sold in here are AS IS and the Site www.motohouston.com holds NO responsiblity for anything sold or said in this section.

I don't know, just another idea to make the site a friendlier place.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
KalmarJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Section: Split it? DvlRacer Forum Updates & Feedback 29 01-17-2009 08:38 PM
question about for sale section Azylum Forum Updates & Feedback 5 09-30-2008 12:08 AM
The For Sale Section PETE Forum Updates & Feedback 20 04-08-2008 11:30 PM
For Sale Section Suggestion mojo Forum Updates & Feedback 13 01-25-2008 01:25 PM
For Sale Section. Can We Not?.... Mr. Unassailable Forum Updates & Feedback 31 05-23-2007 04:02 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2005, 04:21 AM   #2
linjy2

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2
good write up. this is what most board follows anyways. just need a mod to check that section more often i guess.
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

Totaly agree and i 100% voluntere for the postion

morefun00800033mr[/IMG][/
!!If it aint its !!
B.S. Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.S. Motorsports
Totaly agree and i 100% voluntere for the postion

i think kalmar joe wants to be a mod there, thats why he took his time to create rules for his forum.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalmarJoe
If you know where you can find the Whizzbang 2800Deluxe for $30 cheaper than the seller is selling it, keep it to yourself.
Someone is selling a Whizzbang 2800 Deluxe?!! ... I hope it's still for sale. :icon_bigg
Old 12-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
linjy2

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
02 SV650S
08 WR250X
08 CBR600RR

Send a message via AIM to linjy2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
Someone is selling a Whizzbang 2800 Deluxe?!! ... I hope it's still for sale. :icon_bigg
i kno where you can find the 3000 version for the same price... :icon_bigg
linjy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:35 PM   #7
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

rofl

not a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #8
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

damnit lol i want to mod something!!! This is a out rage!!!

!!If it aint its !!
Old 12-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
SE_Ryder122

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Champions Edition (Sold)

i see this becoming a sticky in the for sale section.
SE_Ryder122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:22 PM   #10
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

i like when people say where you can get it cheaper. i dont like to get screwed out of my money.

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #11
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

The whole world can't babysit everybody for their whole life. It's the buyer's responsibility to shop around, if you found it elsewhere for cheaper..... shoot the guy a lower offer in a PM, and tell him where you found it elsewhere. Or go elsewhere and buy it cheaper.

If both parties agree to the lower price..... Cool
If not, then the seller still has the ability to make a deal with someonelse, or he might sit on the item for a while, which can be motivation to do some research and lower the price because noone is biting.

I am sure someone here has worked sales, you're right in the middle of selling a customer.... and bam, here comes another customer (or just a browser) and starts spouting nonsense, and/or tells the customer that BigBoxMart down the street sells the same thing for $3.72 cheaper. Sometimes you still get a sale, BUT sometimes the customer walks.

This is the same thing but worse, because instead of a conversation between one customer and another, where you lose only one potential customer. Now every single shopper is going to see the same thing, and the seller has greatly reduced ability to sell his product.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
Old 01-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #12
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

i nominate b.s. as mod for the "for sale" section

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #13
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
The whole world can't babysit everybody for their whole life. It's the buyer's responsibility to shop around, if you found it elsewhere for cheaper..... shoot the guy a lower offer in a PM, and tell him where you found it elsewhere. Or go elsewhere and buy it cheaper.

If both parties agree to the lower price..... Cool
If not, then the seller still has the ability to make a deal with someonelse, or he might sit on the item for a while, which can be motivation to do some research and lower the price because noone is biting.

I am sure someone here has worked sales, you're right in the middle of selling a customer.... and bam, here comes another customer (or just a browser) and starts spouting nonsense, and/or tells the customer that BigBoxMart down the street sells the same thing for $3.72 cheaper. Sometimes you still get a sale, BUT sometimes the customer walks.

This is the same thing but worse, because instead of a conversation between one customer and another, where you lose only one potential customer. Now every single shopper is going to see the same thing, and the seller has greatly reduced ability to sell his product.

you have a point but when you have somebody trying to sell something on the side, and not in a store, for more than what its worth at MSRP, then people have the right to add their .02 cents and stop price gauging.

me personaly, i could care less since i dont really need anything new and exciting when it first comes out.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
B.S. Motorsports
non agent jake

Bike(s):
20th ann. gsxr 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
i nominate b.s. as mod for the "for sale" section
LOL thankx man but kalmarjoe seems to be way smarter than i. I can not compete with him.

!!If it aint its !!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:57 AM   #15
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
you have a point but when you have somebody trying to sell something on the side, and not in a store, for more than what its worth at MSRP, then people have the right to add their .02 cents and stop price gauging.

me personaly, i could care less since i dont really need anything new and exciting when it first comes out.

I'll have to agree to disagree with you there.

p.s. Gouging, not gauging.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
Old 01-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #16
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

Quote:
I'll have to agree to disagree with you there.

p.s. Gouging, not gauging.
oh ok, i guess you can srew people over then
Old 01-02-2006, 04:26 AM   #17
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

You're off on some other wavelength. :BangHead:

The point was, it is a for sale forum. If you are not selling, or not buying. Keep your nose out of there.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
Old 01-02-2006, 04:39 AM   #18
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

It all goes back to one important phrase, "Caveat emptor" in Latin "Let the buyer beware"

And just so everybody knows. I kept one of the XBox 360's, and I sold the other one locally for cost ($324.74). :icon_bigg Good deal for them.

After the warm welcome I received :confused1 when I tried to sell the first one, I decided I would sell it to a stranger before I went through the hassle of selling it here. So, I made no money on the deal , big freaking deal.

If the seller puts a gun to someone's head and says buy this empty IPod box for $500, or if the seller misrepresents what they are selling then that is people out of there money. Asking for more money, on an item that is hard to find, that is capitalism. Time is money, and people spent their time waiting in line for an XBox360. The people that wanted to buy them, didn't.

Again, we'll have to agree to disagree. Or we can sit here and argue on the internet.
argue
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner
Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
Ramius
Rocket Surgeon

Bike(s):
The Purple People Eater

Send a message via AIM to Ramius
You know, to deny competition is to deny the American way, if someone has a product for sale why should another person not be able to sell the same/similar product at a lower price? If your product is such a good deal it will be able to stand up to the competition and if it does not, then perhaps you should reconsider your buying strategy.

If it weren't for 'competition' in an ad for something I recently sold on this very site I never would have known at what cost the particular product could actually be bought for, as a result of this information I am working on a bulk buying source that will enable me to sell said product brand new, fully assembled and ready to go for lets say $375 instead of the normal msrp I have been hearing about of around $450.

Competition weeds out those who can compete from those who can't and in the end the consumer is better off for it. If I am ever selling something that someone else can find for a cheaper price feel free to let me know because chances are I will use that source to come back even better
Who I am now is not who I was, and who I will be is better than anything I ever could have imagined. I am Filled with the Spirit of Christ and I walk surrounded by a Host Of Angels, who can stand before the Army of ? Amen!
Ramius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
KalmarJoe
Cstoum Uesr Tltie

Bike(s):
05 Zx-12r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius
You know, to deny competition is to deny the American way, if someone has a product for sale why should another person not be able to sell the same/similar product at a lower price? If your product is such a good deal it will be able to stand up to the competition and if it does not, then perhaps you should reconsider your buying strategy.

No, nobody can sell products at a lower price. Communism for all!!! :confused1

Lets use the newspaper for example. 5 different stores sell eggs, for 5 different prices, but the store with the cheapest price doesn't raid the printing press and put a note right in the middle of the other guys ad that says, "Hey, eggs are $0.19 cheaper at our place." No, they just run their own ad, with their own price. And let the buyers decide where, and at what price to buy.

Now if someone is in the WTB section, then it should be a free for all. All sellers/vendors can go at it listing their price. But if Patrick from Motorcycles Unlimited for example makes a thread in the For Sale section for some closeout items, and a competing shop jumps into his thread and offers to beat every price by $10. Then that's wrong, they should make their own for sale thread.

But the main problem here is the people that aren't even buying or selling, they're going into the For Sale forum just to hassle people.
MH Insomniac #001
zx12r20banner

Advertisement