MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #81
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post
WD40 removes the grease and lube. It is OK for cleaning a chain, but as far as lube I wouldn't recommend it. I have 50K miles on this bike, and had over 60K on my last one. IMHO, this one works best (make sure your chain is very warm, not just a ride around the block):

Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube is a unique premium product designed exclusively for motorcycle and ATV 'O' ring chains. It sprays on evenly and provides complete coverage of the chain, creating a waterproof barrier that prevents rust and corrosion. Bel-Ray Super Clean Chain Lube will not fling off and repels dirt and sand.

http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13616

I was about to reply to this thread until I found Mr Richard's post..... I 100% agree with everything he posted....

I use WD to clean(sometimes kerosene cause its cheaper), I never SOAK the chain with it. 1) I usually soak a rag and use the rag to clean the chain. (Soaking the chain in that stuff just washes the internal grease out of the rollers/pins, then you really have to keep it lubed like a to prevent kinks/stretches) 2) Then I run it to get it warm, then coat the in Belray Super Clean. 3)Let it sit 20 mins, then run it again on the stand to clean up any excess fling but there is usually not much at all...

I usually have pretty good luck with chains on my regular streetbikes, 20k miles are normal.....the busa tends to F' up chains no matter how nice I keep em.

The only other lube I have tried that was decent was Motorex but it still flings, and doesn't last long on the rollers. Belray is the best in my opinion.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Chain Lube do you use? CBR500R_Mike How To's and Q & A's 50 03-31-2014 10:02 PM
Chain Lube? USMC083 How To's and Q & A's 52 02-27-2010 10:02 PM
Chain Lube Fatpooh2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 08-10-2009 02:05 PM
chain lube cameron1507 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-07-2007 06:18 AM
What do you use to lube your chain? CaJuNsOuLjA How To's and Q & A's 31 04-03-2007 01:23 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #82
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

I've used motul and repsol chain lube so far much more pleased with repsol product
Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM   #83
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXALAN View Post
I usually have pretty good luck with chains on my regular streetbikes, 20k miles are normal.....
See that's what I been sayin'. You and the others talking about lubing chains are getting similar mileage to me out of them.
The difference is that I stop after the cleaning with WD40 part. It leaves a film that prevents rust, sure that film doesn't last for months but it lasts 'til next time I clean it.

The most important thing is to keep it clean, protected from rust and adjusted. Work real fine, last long time.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #84
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c2duevas View Post
would you recommend all purpose grease made by coastal? they have it for 4 dollars at autozone... its in a red and black can
i told you you could bring your bike over and id clean and lube it for you, you little .

no matter if you do it yourself or someone does it for you, your chain needs it reeeeally bad bro.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #85
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

you can lead a horse to water.......................................:angry 7:
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #86
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
See that's what I been sayin'. You and the others talking about lubing chains are getting similar mileage to me out of them.
The difference is that I stop after the cleaning with WD40 part. It leaves a film that prevents rust, sure that film doesn't last for months but it lasts 'til next time I clean it.

The most important thing is to keep it clean, protected from rust and adjusted. Work real fine, last long time.
yuppers. i got 20k out of my OEM before i replaced it. honestly it really didnt need replacing, i just wanted the RK GOLD.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #87
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post

I went through a spell where I was just using WD40 myself. (I chain worth, about 10k miles) I liked it because on the dyno, it seemed to have less resistance on the chain then sticky/waxy lubes. Usually when I was racing a lot, I just used WD40 but did it frequently, like every ride/race. The reason I went back to lubing chains with belray was I noticed that the rollers made a lot more noise and where way looser on the pins when running just WD40. It never caused a failure but that particular chain did seem to kink/tight spot a lot sooner then the previous chains. That was a Tsubaki sigma with 10,600 tensile strength and I was making about 175rwhp back then. Lots of racing.

When running the lube, it seems to keep the chain quieter longer and the condition of the chains seem to hold up better but there is more rolling resistance with it(aka. lost HP). ON my busa, I don't lube the chain near as much as I do on the 1000 as I don't ride it near as much, it usually just gets a good kerosene cleaning every 300-400 miles and a shot of lube every 1000 miles.

Do what ever works for you....Type of riding, type of chain and type of bike all dictate the maintenance needed.....Anything is better then nothing..

Lots of those "Chain Waxes" and like that just acts like a big magnet for dirt and grime and do more damage then good. People just spray that on and don't actually clean the chain and think they've done well.

Belray is not sticky once it dries and actually seems to keep the dirt off the chain and keeps the rollers quiet.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #88
coachdave

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2005 ZZR-1200
2001 Suzuki Marauder

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CHNWAXG.jpg