MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2008, 12:27 AM   #61
JRxGRUBZx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Typically, racers are wanting to shed weight, not add it. Folks don't use those because they are heavy and frame sliders work just as well. Besides, race bodywork (fiberglass) typically holds up better and is infinitely easier to repair than stock bodywork is, so it's not as much of an issue.
o ok cool!
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pit bike paint job complete adrenalinjunky General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-03-2012 08:27 AM
$30 track-bike paint job... AaronP220 Off Topic 24 09-14-2010 09:27 PM
Finally finished the new track toy - new paint and bike!!! alrova General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-01-2010 11:38 AM
a few pics of an almost finished paint job lanzer913 General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 06-12-2009 04:54 PM
paint job for my bike... 2KBUSA How To's and Q & A's 24 05-05-2006 05:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2008, 12:34 AM   #62
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

You don't have any numbers on the bike yet so it is hard for me to judge, but it appears that you'd get the green light from us in CMRA tech. As long as you use legal number sizes and you can see plenty of yellow border, we're going to be good. Don't get all fancy with the letter style / font 'cause you're asking for trouble if you do. Numbers can bend over the top of the tail section as needed.

The front number plate is arguably the harder sell since it's the plate the scorers use most when manually scoring. The manual scorers have to be able to see and read the plate clearly from a distance and when bikes are approaching at various angles at speed, so the more legible you make it the better. I've scored more than a few times in the past and these days I am standing near the scorers many times over the course of a season, so I can tell you with certainty that it's a royal pain, even when number plates are well done. The 675 bike probably would have drawn scorn from manual scoring if it had been race tech'd.

Speaking of the 675 bike, note that if you have your front plate split and run numbers on only one side, the side with the numbers must be the side from which scoring is done that particular weekend. This is posted in tech on race weekends, and shakes down like this:

Oak Hill - Left side
TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Left side
Cresson - Left side (both CW and CCW directions)
ECR - Right side
Hallett - Right side for CW direction, left side for CCW direction

You will not get pass tech with numbers on the wrong side of the nose. The best thing to do is put numbers on both sides of the nose or make the front number plate in the center if possible.

Last edited by Racer997; 12-30-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #63
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
No, just like Swift-E's above, you only have to have one on the back if there's no room to properly have two. The R6, ZX6 and 600RR fall in to that category too- near every bike newer than '05 falls in to the "tail is too small for two plates" category. On the tail, as the rules state, you can have one plate with the numbers arranged such that they can be read while standing behind the bike.

Swift's front number plate likely would not pass (depends on how grumpy "grumpy" is in tech... ) because there has to be a 1" border around the numbers from the number plate with 8" numbers. His numbers go outside the field of the number plate, and technically would not pass under the rules (often, you'll get a pass with the understanding that you would fix it next time, or put some yellow/ white tape 1" wide around the numbers that go outside the field).

A lot of guys with the ram air in front use a two sided number plate (one on each side of the air duct). The reason for two whereas the pros only have one (typically the left) is because the CMRA still backs up electronic scoring with manual scoring, and for tracks that have the scorers on rider's right, they can still see the plate which they couldn't if it were only on the left.

The LSTD endurance team (on one of the bikes) has a number plate on the wind screen, and quite a few folks do that too. Keeps things within the rules. Your rendering with the plate on the screen is accurate and within the rules.

Also, because of space limitation on the newer bike with centered ram-air ducts, they techs are a little more lenient for number size and location.
This is exactly what I was looking for brotha man. I was going to put the plate in the front over above the ram air and on the windscreen. I am just waiting for my new clear double bubble to do it. The rear I was confused with, the rules are a little ambiguous, it says three plates but then it talks about the single plate in the rear. However, it doesn't say anything about it being "ok" to only have two plates with that exception...

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #64
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
You don't have any numbers on the bike yet so it is hard for me to judge, but it appears that you'd get the green light from us in CMRA tech. As long as you use legal number sizes and you can see plenty of yellow border, we're going to be good. Don't get all fancy with the letter style / font 'cause you're asking for trouble if you do. Numbers can bend over the top of the tail section as needed.

The front number plate is arguably the harder sell since it's the plate the scorers use most when manually scoring. The manual scorers have to be able to see and read the plate clearly from a distance and when bikes are approaching at various angles at speed, so the more legible you make it the better. I've scored more than a few times in the past and these days I am standing near the scorers many times over the course of a season, so I can tell you with certainty that it's a royal pain, even when number plates are well done. The 675 bike probably would have drawn scorn from manual scoring if it had been race tech'd.

Speaking of the 675 bike, note that if you have your front plate split and run numbers on only one side, the side with the numbers must be the side from which scoring is done that particular weekend. This is posted in tech on race weekends, and shakes down like this:

Oak Hill - Left side
TWS (Texas World Speedway) - Left side
Cresson - Left side (both CW and CCW directions)
ECR - Right side
Hallett - Right side for CW direction, left side for CCW direction

You will not get pass tech with numbers on the wrong side of the nose. The best thing to do is put numbers on both sides of the nose or make the front number plate in the center if possible.
Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. Between you and Tom I think I got the info I was looking for. You guys are awesome!

Advertisement