MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #41
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
If that's your first attempt that's brilliant
Good job,
I have painted some little stuff before, but yeah my first try. I am really pleased with how it came out. Thanks bro, see you at the track.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pit bike paint job complete adrenalinjunky General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 07-03-2012 08:27 AM
$30 track-bike paint job... AaronP220 Off Topic 24 09-14-2010 09:27 PM
Finally finished the new track toy - new paint and bike!!! alrova General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-01-2010 11:38 AM
a few pics of an almost finished paint job lanzer913 General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 06-12-2009 04:54 PM
paint job for my bike... 2KBUSA How To's and Q & A's 24 05-05-2006 05:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2008, 11:47 AM   #42
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

And for the record, just so I say it now. I am totally going to ball like a little baby when I have my next get off, as long it isn't the first session back on the track... Otherwise I will probably just hang myself right there So if you people see me go down and I am in the pits booo hoooo crying you know why!!!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #43
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Very cool, nice job.

Better re-check the size of your tail plates though, by the pictures, they look a bit small for race tech.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #44
Echo4Hotel

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
Looks nice, I like the color. First thing I thought of was University of Texas colors. Probably not intended, but I always have the 'Horns on my brain.
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #45
ange062

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance

Send a message via AIM to ange062
Looks clean man, hard to believe you did that in your garage!
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #46
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #47
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

So basically you painted the thank black and then taped your orange and then taped your white? (Correct?) Now did you have to sand between color changes? I am wondering if you painted the orange directly on top of black or did you sand it?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #48
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
So basically you painted the thank black and then taped your orange and then taped your white? (Correct?) Now did you have to sand between color changes? I am wondering if you painted the orange directly on top of black or did you sand it?
With basecoat/ clearcoat, you can paint directly on top of previous colors without sanding.

So yes, you can do a white base, tape it, and then paint the next color base without sanding. With clear coat, the "layers" and lines are barely noticeable, if noticeable at all.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #49
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timme' View Post
And for the record, just so I say it now. I am totally going to ball like a little baby when I have my next get off, as long it isn't the first session back on the track... Otherwise I will probably just hang myself right there So if you people see me go down and I am in the pits booo hoooo crying you know why!!!!!
race rails ?? or is that not "cool" at the track ??
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #50
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
race rails ?? or is that not "cool" at the track ??
What is a "race rail"?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #51
JRxGRUBZx

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
What is a "race rail"?
i was just asking because i dont think ive ever seen them on a track bike out at the track down 288 ..

http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #52
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRxGRUBZx View Post
i was just asking because i dont think ive ever seen them on a track bike out at the track down 288 ..

http://www.powersstuntworx.com/railz.html
Typically, racers are wanting to shed weight, not add it. Folks don't use those because they are heavy and frame sliders work just as well. Besides, race bodywork (fiberglass) typically holds up better and is infinitely easier to repair than stock bodywork is, so it's not as much of an issue.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #53
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #54
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Very cool, nice job.

Better re-check the size of your tail plates though, by the pictures, they look a bit small for race tech.
They are 10" x 8.......7" somin... I don't know how you could make them any bigger. I could paint the entire tail yellow I guess. I pulled the rules before I shot it. There is just no way to get the 10" x 8" on that tail piece. Don't know what else I could do but go with a single number on the tail???
Old 12-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #55
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Number Display Requirements
All machines must carry three sets of numbers, one on the front and one on each
side of the tail (see exception below). Numbers must be visible with the rider on the
machine. Numbers must be black, standard block lettering with no serifs, outlines or
shadowing. The front number plate/background must be 12" x 10". Numbers must be 8"
high, be spaced 3/4" apart and allow 1" of unobstructed number plate/background border.
Numbers must be the rider’s correct CMRA competition number and the only time a rider
may change their competition number is when they are renewing their Competition License.
Side number plate/background fields must be behind the rider on the machine’s tail
section, may not be smaller than 10" x 8" with numbers no less than 6’’ high and the
number display may either be mounted on both sides of the tail section (not
wrapping around onto the top of the seat or out of vision on the tail section) or
mounted on top of the tail section with the number oriented so as to be viewed from
the rear of the motorcycle (see illustration below). If your tail section does not have
enough room, attach a correctly sized number plate. Machines not meeting number plate
requirements will not pass Technical Inspection and will not be scored when racing. If you
are found to have illegible numbers you may not race again until they are correct. Machines
racing in Motard, Vintage, or Mini classes will be the only exception to number plate
placement and specific number plate requirements may be found in the class structure
details.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:12 PM   #56
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Guess I could do this, no biggie the tail can be done easily this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture014.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	17892  
Old 12-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #57
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
I painted black first. Then used fine line tape to lay out the thin line between the orange and white. Then I taped 1/2" on either side of the fine line tape and painted each color. So I used the fine line tape edge for the transition. That way no have to worry about lines. Plus adding the clear on top wipes them out.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #58
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Guess I could do this, no biggie the tail can be done easily this way.
You'll probably have to do that. Likely, if Eric would have raced that bike this year, he wouldn't have passed tech with the front plate.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #59
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
You'll probably have to do that. Likely, if Eric would have raced that bike this year, he wouldn't have passed tech with the front plate.
But that would only give me two plates. One front and one back. I thought you had to have 3 total?

This is why I didn't paint the front plate. The tail is easy to paint and I thought I would screw it up so I figured I would have to repaint it anyway. But I want to be darn sure it is going to pass tech before I paint the front. I was going to paint one big plate right on the front, part on the windscreen part on the bike. I think I sent the link of what I was thinking. The tail i have no idea, the only thing that would possibly work exactly to spec would be one number there too. That in itself would violate the rules cause I would only have two number plates. Actually the rules state one plate in the front and two in the rear. How would one get an exception?

I got time but I would love to get the plates right and wrap this thing up.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #60
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
But that would only give me two plates. One front and one back. I thought you had to have 3 total?

This is why I didn't paint the front plate. The tail is easy to paint and I thought I would screw it up so I figured I would have to repaint it anyway. But I want to be darn sure it is going to pass tech before I paint the front. I was going to paint one big plate right on the front, part on the windscreen part on the bike. I think I sent the link of what I was thinking. The tail i have no idea, the only thing that would possibly work exactly to spec would be one number there too. That in itself would violate the rules cause I would only have two number plates. Actually the rules state one plate in the front and two in the rear. How would one get an exception?

I got time but I would love to get the plates right and wrap this thing up.
No, just like Swift-E's above, you only have to have one on the back if there's no room to properly have two. The R6, ZX6 and 600RR fall in to that category too- near every bike newer than '05 falls in to the "tail is too small for two plates" category. On the tail, as the rules state, you can have one plate with the numbers arranged such that they can be read while standing behind the bike.

Swift's front number plate likely would not pass (depends on how grumpy "grumpy" is in tech... ) because there has to be a 1" border around the numbers from the number plate with 8" numbers. His numbers go outside the field of the number plate, and technically would not pass under the rules (often, you'll get a pass with the understanding that you would fix it next time, or put some yellow/ white tape 1" wide around the numbers that go outside the field).

A lot of guys with the ram air in front use a two sided number plate (one on each side of the air duct). The reason for two whereas the pros only have one (typically the left) is because the CMRA still backs up electronic scoring with manual scoring, and for tracks that have the scorers on rider's right, they can still see the plate which they couldn't if it were only on the left.

The LSTD endurance team (on one of the bikes) has a number plate on the wind screen, and quite a few folks do that too. Keeps things within the rules. Your rendering with the plate on the screen is accurate and within the rules.

Also, because of space limitation on the newer bike with centered ram-air ducts, they techs are a little more lenient for number size and location.

Advertisement