MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #1
bentgixxer

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
M/C mechanic schools?

Are there any in houston? is one better than another?

I am looking at going back to school so's i can get a new yob, and motorcycles are my passion. looking for a local school to possibly attend.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Schools for motorcycle mechanic Noob781 Off Topic 18 09-27-2013 09:52 PM
motorcycle mechanic schools? greaselightnin General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-03-2013 10:59 AM
Trade Schools JRxGRUBZx Off Topic 37 11-13-2008 05:58 PM
Race Schools Swift E Taking it to the Track 32 11-09-2007 11:28 AM
Racing Schools Swift E Taking it to the Track 14 05-16-2007 09:38 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

you been watching those MMI commercials?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

None local.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

none local that i know of... My nephew went to the one in florida.. good school..

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
Trung
rip chad jones

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
none local that i know of... My nephew went to the one in florida.. good school..
if your talking about mmi, it looks expensive
Trung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

MMI=UTI for bikes. same company runs them afaik. I worked with a guy that graduated from there. Its a program that will be as good as the effort you put into it, though it will cost you a lot of money, as in taking the complete course of study can easily run you $25k. Pretty sure that Orlando is the closest campus.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Nothing local that I know of either.

A very close friend went to MMI in Arizona for 2 years before coming back to Houston to get a job. After that the various places he worked put him thru the update schools, Ducati school, Dynojet, etc...

He makes good money as a motorcycle mech. for his age in my opinion, but none of it came easy or overnight. A lot of how good you are is going to come down to being entirely up to you, how you are paid, and how many hours you can flag while doing the work right the first time around.

I'd suggest talking to someone on a personal basis who does it for a living and see if it fits in where you want to head in life.

Last edited by bdubb; 12-22-2008 at 03:19 PM.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung View Post
it is expensive.. but he can tear down a motor and put it back together in his sleep...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung View Post

very expensive. I know allot of people who have gone thru the arizona and florida programs. I asked them is it worth it? The answers i get is no MMI= More Money Institute...I know people who own a bike shop and they even say it is not worth it. People go to work there and they start them in service making about $11 hr. writing service tickets. Even have a friend who did the harley program. They are still writing tickets in service and not wrenching after a year.

Im not bashing on it by no means. True you have to like what you do to make a living. I just cant see spending $25-30 k on the school to get out and make anywhere from 25-35k a year. I would definately look into it, go visit the place and talk to some of the mechanics at the local dealerships and get the real life answers rather than the answers you wil get from a MMI sales associate. Just my .2

Good Luck in your decision and goals

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

this question came up on another forum and the graduates said they couldnt get work and when they did most of the mechanics that had been doing their whole life called mmi the micky mouse institute. lol they say its a joke. how much money you spend and what you actually learn. imho just get hired on at a local shop as a gopher and then learn it that way. they pay you instead of the other way around and you learn first hand. and you are building a resume. just my two cents.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #11
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Agree.........See if you can get a jod as a service writer. That way you will spend the time learning the ins and outs of the bussiness. You will be in the back much of the time with the mechanics and will be able to wrench oil changes and go from there.

My son wanted to go there and we looked into it. The dealer he was at told us to not spend the money it is a waste. that came from the dealer them selves. just my .2

Chris H
Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Chris H
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 AM   #13
Gardo

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2003 Suzuki DRZ400E
12 GT 3.0 GTR
11 Giant Talon 29er1
15 Polaris RZR 4 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
I went to Uti, went thru 8 coarses and the only I learned was about transmitions and rear ends.

But then again I had been working on cars and motorcycles since I was 6 and had my dad (ase master tech) teah me alot and throw his books my way when I had questions.

I Not to sure about MMi though. My cousin went to mmi, graduated. And I wouldnt trust him changine my oil just from his so called (Knowledge).

I owe $13,000 in debt to uti and I really didnt learn anything that couldnt be learned from going to a junk yard, and pulling a few transmissions and rear ends apart. That and buying a few books

I went to UTI in 1998 and I didn't finish paying off my student loans till 2007 and I don't even work as a mechanic lol. It is way to much $ not worth it when I worked at Fred Haas Toyota the other techs would make fun off me saying that I wasted my $ and they call UTI Un Trained Idiots I would get mad at the time but thinking about it later they were right.
Gardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 04:44 PM   #14
randomwalk101

UTI is a school? I was told it stands for Urinary Tract Infection....and I always prescribe Cipro 400mg IV q12h or 500mg PO q12h unless resistance to the quinolones.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 05:29 AM   #15
Trung
rip chad jones

Feedback Rating: (6)

lol, yeah i had a feeling mmi would be similiar to uti, i'm not saying anything bad about uti but i've seen many many failures come out of uti.
Trung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

you may or may not make any money working on bikes. may not is where im leanin.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:09 AM   #17
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
i say go get a job at a shop and learn the basics that way. if you wanna get more in depth with it then go find a job at a place that mainly builds performance bikes. after a couple years of that, you have made money, recieved a bunch of knowledge and your not in debt for 20 years.

im 23 and ive been able to build motors for the last couple of years, i just prefer not to. now the whole bike minus the motor, i can build it and have it running in a day. or take it apart in an 1 1/2 hours, and no school could have taught me that.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #18
level5
moving chicane

What you learn in school is the basic which is how a machine works and their components. This is a basic foundation to diagnose problems. Anyone can change a plugs/parts but it takes a good tech/mech to know the problems and install it right. Before you take the school and waste your money, know this...this passion that they lured you into isn't a passion when it becomes work. You will not make money as much as they make you believe. Other then that, good luck in your endeavor.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

get a job at a shop as a porter or shop . find out how much the best guy makes. find out how long it took him to make that. then decide if that is the career you want. A guy I worked with who came out of MMI was a good mechanic (when his personal did not interfere), but I was given similar work though I never went to school for bikes, just had 6 years of working on cars (which i did not go to school for either). I still asked him a lot of questions at times, though he also asked me as well. The other motorcycle mechanics is was around felt that making 60k a year was really good money in that career though...
Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #20
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
get a job at a shop as a porter or shop . find out how much the best guy makes. find out how long it took him to make that. then decide if that is the career you want. A guy I worked with who came out of MMI was a good mechanic (when his personal did not interfere), but I was given similar work though I never went to school for bikes, just had 6 years of working on cars (which i did not go to school for either). I still asked him a lot of questions at times, though he also asked me as well. The other motorcycle mechanics is was around felt that making 60k a year was really good money in that career though...
porter job is minimum wages with some experience you will get $10/hour a good tech will make around $25/hour plus parts commission. The good tech is normally a top/main tech of the shop. If you are looking to make good money and you say that you are not afraid of hard work, then go to college/university. fresh fish mechanics makes $24K/year vs $30K for college graduate. The choice is yours. College graduate have more choice in jobs then being just a wrench monkey.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement