Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
rideForrestride

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

What's wrong with my right tail running/brake light? w/pics

I replaced my stock lights with some LEDs and the right side running and brake lights cut out sometimes (mostly when the bike idles). I thought the leds had a short so I bought another pair of leds and they did the same thing. Then, thinking it was my low battery I replaced the battery and the lights still cut out. The turn signal works fine, it's just the right side running/brake light that's the problem. Can someone tell me what's wrong and what I need to do to fix this? The stock lights work fine and have never given me this problem. I appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2250_2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	17659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2251_2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	17660  
rideForrestride is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake/Tail light issue snoopy281 How To's and Q & A's 3 09-24-2011 08:22 AM
Tail Light NewRider Off Topic 8 10-30-2010 11:37 AM
tail light cp6rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 10-13-2008 12:07 AM
Tail light out Bean How To's and Q & A's 13 10-10-2008 06:16 PM
Brake/Running Light/Turnsiganl L.e.d Strip?!?!? Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-26-2007 01:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

check to see if the wires on the socket are loose, I had to resolder mine cause they eventually just broke.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by texassuperhawk View Post
check to see if the wires on the socket are loose, I had to resolder mine cause they eventually just broke.
It looks fine and the running/brake lights are "plug in play". Got my signals wired together and no problem whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

I for got to mention, mine actaully broke inside the conduit, only reason i found it was it left a small brownish color on the wire where it was arcing in the wire. Does it work fine when you put regular bulbs back in?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #5
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
I for got to mention, mine actaully broke inside the conduit, only reason i found it was it left a small brownish color on the wire where it was arcing in the wire. Does it work fine when you put regular bulbs back in?
I'll try it again and see what happens.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:28 AM   #6
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
i had same problem. but i fixed it. rewired, they use to be on like running lights in front, i blew one out and rewired. now they stay off until i signal.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Yes, it works fine with the stock lights. It's almost like when it idles the leds pull too much juice and the bike doesn't have it, but it's strange because only the right side goes out.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

Thats weird cause usually leds pull way less voltage than regular bulbs.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Well, maybe not pulling more juice but maybe the wiring is more sensitive to leds than than the stock bulbs?
Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

when I put leds on my Superhawk I had to install a flasher relay to "adjust" the current so they would work properly. If I was at home I would shoot a pic and show you. It was'nt a regular relay, I picked them up at cyclegear. They plug inline with the signals, and since you have your signals ran inline with the tail lights you may need something like that. Thats odd how it only does it at idle. When I had the broken wires, they made good contact when I was at higher rpm and and flicker at low rpm cause the vibrations of the engine were smoother at speed. get what I'm sayin? don't know if that makes since, that bike was a wiring headache, v-twin.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
when I put leds on my Superhawk I had to install a flasher relay to "adjust" the current so they would work properly. If I was at home I would shoot a pic and show you. It was'nt a regular relay, I picked them up at cyclegear. They plug inline with the signals, and since you have your signals ran inline with the tail lights you may need something like that. Thats odd how it only does it at idle. When I had the broken wires, they made good contact when I was at higher rpm and and flicker at low rpm cause the vibrations of the engine were smoother at speed. get what I'm sayin? don't know if that makes since, that bike was a wiring headache, v-twin.
It does it at low rpms too. I thought the flasher relay was for the turn signal flash rate? The turn signals work great, it's the running & brake light that's the problem. Thanks for your insight.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

Sorry I cant be of more help.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:13 PM   #13
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

I think I figure out what was wrong. I believe the running lights from my front turn signals are draining power from the tail lights. I unhooked my front signals and the tail light seems to work. I guess I just won't be using front running lights. Anyone know how I can use running lights without draining power from the rear?
Old 12-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

I may have to use dual filament signals for the front until I learn how to use the running lights without draining my tail lights.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
rideForrestride

Bike(s):
'08 ZX10R - The Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideForrestride View Post
I may have to use dual filament signals for the front until I learn how to use the running lights without draining my tail lights.
I mean single filament with two wires.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
Mr.Jones

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
02 f4i
09 Raider(dads bike)

Leds are diodes so they maybe feeding the wrong polarity to the tail lights. Leds do take less power than regular bulbs but are voltage and current sensitive. You can try putting a resister between the positive and negitive on the front turn signals or wiring the front with relays

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "HOLY T...WHAT A RIDE!"
Mr.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement