MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
AhmadHasib
Turkey Sammich: Mmmm Good

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Seat Time + Riding Experience

When I was a young kid, I got my first car, a Honda Civic. I still remember the days where I was too afraid to hit the gas all the way to the ground because the car had too much power for my experience level. After some time, I'd be flooring it everywhere and Id think, "Man this car is slow".

Then came the Lancer Evolution. I remember when I first got the car, I couldn't floor the car because I thought, "Ohh man, too much torque, I can't handle this". After some time, I caught myself also flooring the car a lot only because I had more experience with the faster car and was able to handle the torque the car was making" and I would later urn for more power.

So now I have my bike. I can honestly say I do NOT have that much seat time still, nor is my experience level anywhere near great. I still feel that the bike has a LOT of power, and tell myself "Man, too much torque at the higher RPMs"

Is this one of those things where with more time and experience, the R6s will soon start to feel like my previous cars? Where I will be urning for more power because the bike seems TOO slow? To be honest, the bike seems more then fast enough, I dont think theres any need to go any faster than is. But of course, this could be my experience level + seat time talking.
So yesterday I was thinking about my riding experience... TangoRangoEy General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 11-02-2012 07:40 AM
Do you work on your own bike, if not.... why?? no tools?, experience or time?? floyd600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 139 05-04-2011 03:26 PM
Riding Experience: Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-29-2009 01:09 PM
Worst experience riding? jdubabbott General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 02-06-2008 06:36 PM
Riding experience? knee_dragger General Discussion (Moto Related) 68 12-18-2006 11:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Take it to the track. I could ride a crf 50 and still have more to learn on it. I do ride fiddy and have more to learn.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
ANTISOCIAL

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 cbr 600 rr

Send a message via AIM to ANTISOCIAL
Keep it in the garage ,or just sell it .
Old 12-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #4
AhmadHasib

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTISOCIAL View Post
Keep it in the garage ,or just sell it .
thanks, ill pass
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
AhmadHasib

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Take it to the track. I could ride a crf 50 and still have more to learn on it. I do ride fiddy and have more to learn.
I've been wanting to actually for a while now. I'm just waiting to when I have a free weekend
Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

I think when you are backing it into turns and ridding the front wheel into turns you are close to the bikes limits but maybe you are talking about getting used to the bikes power. Like accelerating fast in a straight line.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Wormgear

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

I’ve had a few and with each more powerful bike I always thought whoa, dis is da shnitz and I’ll never need or want any more power. After a few months to a year I got used to it and while I certainly never needed more, I wanted it. Repeat, Repeat.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #8
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

How many miles have you ridden on your bike?

Everytime I see a comparo article in a motorcycle magazine most of the times they end the article with something like this: "...95% of the riders can't ride the bike at its best capacity..."
Your R6s is a fine motorcle and 600 cc is a good power for most ranges (from not so novice to expert). Just ride it with respect for several thousand miles and eventually it will feel fine, whether you require more power that will be up to you. I have been riding for more than two years and I still enjoy riding 600 cc and don't plan to move up in the near future.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:34 PM   #9
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

Quote:
the only true way to see what your bike is capable of.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
AhmadHasib

Quote:
I think when you are backing it into turns and ridding the front wheel into turns you are close to the bikes limits but maybe you are talking about getting used to the bikes power. Like accelerating fast in a straight line.
yes, thats exactly what im talking about
Old 12-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

this is why people told you to get a ninja 250, and you got this instead. you can't learn when you're scared, and so you have hit the educational wall people tried to tell you about. sell it and get a golf cart.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #12
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

getting comfortable with the speed, is completely different than having experience to handle the speed

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
You will never out ride the 600. Maybe being dumb on the freeway you will, take it to the track and you will learn to respect that throttle.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmadHasib View Post
When I was a young kid, I got my first car, a Honda Civic. I still remember the days where I was too afraid to hit the gas all the way to the ground because the car had too much power for my experience level. After some time, I'd be flooring it everywhere and Id think, "Man this car is slow".

Then came the Lancer Evolution. I remember when I first got the car, I couldn't floor the car because I thought, "Ohh man, too much torque, I can't handle this". After some time, I caught myself also flooring the car a lot only because I had more experience with the faster car and was able to handle the torque the car was making" and I would later urn for more power.

So now I have my bike. I can honestly say I do NOT have that much seat time still, nor is my experience level anywhere near great. I still feel that the bike has a LOT of power, and tell myself "Man, too much torque at the higher RPMs"

Is this one of those things where with more time and experience, the R6s will soon start to feel like my previous cars? Where I will be urning for more power because the bike seems TOO slow? To be honest, the bike seems more then fast enough, I dont think theres any need to go any faster than is. But of course, this could be my experience level + seat time talking.

how old are you, now?
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I have been on the Dinosaur for almost a year. Every time I think I need a bigger(not newer) bike I take a short run to the Forest and that changes my mind. Any fool can fast in a straight line. I plan on doing a few track days in 2009.
Watch it now, you are talking about drag racers.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

Hey 1/4 mile takes skill too!
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #18
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #19
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

ha ha sweet, to answer your question think about your first ride do you remember not shifting out of 2nd just going 45mph and thinking OMG. Then a month later or whatever you finally on some open road duck down and hit a 100 mph and think you are going to die. Sometime later you top your bike out and think you should have died and feel real shaky. With proper training some trackdays this all would happen on a very short time line and much safer point being is just how far you have come now?
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #20
mr.haterz
SW squidbillies

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
01 F4i krunchy piece
99 z50r stock
96 z50r
03 xr50 108cc

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mr.haterz
learn to ride, ride allot, become comfortable with ur bike, push ur self little by little and you will learn allot. don't confuse ur ambitions with ur capabilitys

didnt you have a 636?

Advertisement