MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 PM   #41
Echo4Hotel

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4-8 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Echo4Hotel
haha
Echo4Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike running hot sullivan How To's and Q & A's 23 09-01-2013 06:01 PM
My bike is up and running! Nesto1000 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 02-06-2013 11:24 PM
Buying a non-running bike? the_laydown How To's and Q & A's 15 11-25-2010 09:34 AM
bike is running on 1 cylinder i think. loosenoose How To's and Q & A's 3 05-21-2009 08:08 AM
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #42
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #43
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #44
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #45
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

I feel better knowing that my idea of dropping the socket into the hole before putting the extension on is not a bad idea. I kept thinking "man that is not going to turn out well". Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:27 AM   #46
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Personally, I don't think you need to pull the spark plugs with that few miles on the bike. I'd check the "normal" problems for that bike that you mentioned (I seem to remember something about coil packs going bad or something?).

Besides, this sounds a whole lot more like the pilot jet/ idle circuit is dirty to me. It's a lot easier to figure this out with the bike in front of me, but based on what you're saying, that's where my money is.

Pulling the spark plug is going to tell you very little. The only thing it's going to tell you is if something is very bad, like if it's way too rich or way too lean, which will point back to the carbs.

Again, check your wire connections, check your battery connections, make sure all the stuff is tight, and based on the performance, I'd probably pull the carbs and bowls to clean/ inspect the pilot jets.

If you're not comfortable doing any of those things, then yeah, it's time to get a truck ride up to Motorcycles Unlimited to get it done right.

I live on the SW side, about 30 minutes from where you are though. You're welcome to bring your bike here and use my tools if you like.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #47
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Personally, I don't think you need to pull the spark plugs with that few miles on the bike. I'd check the "normal" problems for that bike that you mentioned (I seem to remember something about coil packs going bad or something?).

Besides, this sounds a whole lot more like the pilot jet/ idle circuit is dirty to me. It's a lot easier to figure this out with the bike in front of me, but based on what you're saying, that's where my money is.

Pulling the spark plug is going to tell you very little. The only thing it's going to tell you is if something is very bad, like if it's way too rich or way too lean, which will point back to the carbs.

Again, check your wire connections, check your battery connections, make sure all the stuff is tight, and based on the performance, I'd probably pull the carbs and bowls to clean/ inspect the pilot jets.

If you're not comfortable doing any of those things, then yeah, it's time to get a truck ride up to Motorcycles Unlimited to get it done right.

I live on the SW side, about 30 minutes from where you are though. You're welcome to bring your bike here and use my tools if you like.
Thank you Tom. While I was digging around to check all that stuff I went ahead and pulled the plugs. Wasn't much more work since I was checking the coils. It appears that all connections were tight and I didn't see anything that jumped out at me. All four of the coils were the new Mitsubishi coils, the "good" ones put in after the factory recall. Your memory is right, but it appears they have already been replaced.

I definitely don't know anything about "pulling the carbs and bowls". It's fuel injected but "carbs and bowls" probably has nothing to do with a carburetor I'm guessing.

I took a picture of the old spark plugs since the camera is handy and in my noob opinion they don't look horrible, but they have probably seen better days. I figured it wouldn't hurt to change them out. The center node thingy (there I go getting all technical again) was worn pretty good on both sides and as you can see by the image they are pretty dark.
Bike running poorly

The good news is everything went back together well and it fired right back up. I let it run for a good 10 minutes and it didn't die. The idle seemed pretty smooth and stayed around 1200-1300 rpm's the whole time, no large swings.

I have to head out to moms 60th birthday party in a bit, but I'll get back to it when I return. I might take you up on putting the bike in front of you. I figure someone more experienced could tell me if I need to get it up to Patrick or not. Would have done it already, but I kind of enjoy digging around a little.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #48
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

The plugs don't look bad... but your bike is FI? I thought that model was carb'd, so that rules out that issue!

Man, now I'm thinking electrical... hmmmmm.

What are you doing on Monday? If you can get it out here, or if you want to meet me in Sugar Land on Sunday, I may be able to get a good look at it.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #49
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

Grrr, thought I had licked it until just now. Started it up again cold and let it idle for a while, was great. Couple puffs of smoke out the exhaust when I goosed it before shutting it down, but figured it was the sea foam. Well, fast forward 15 minutes. When I bought it I never took the time to download the PCIII map. So I go back outside and hook up the laptop to the PCIII, starts up fine but then dies in 30 seconds. It will keep starting back up and running as long as I keep throttle rolled on a little, but as soon as I let it go back to idle it dies. !

I'll PM my cell phone to you Tom, I'm around tomorrow and don't mind heading out that way at all. I have 3 little ones so I'm up earlier than most, so I'll let you shout at me when you have the time.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #50
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Try disconnecting the power commander and plugging the wires back together in stock form so that you can rule out the PCIII all together. The PCIII might be bad? They actually go bad pretty often.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #51
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Last edited by tomLSTD; 12-21-2008 at 10:58 AM.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #52
Echo4Hotel

Bike(s):
03 R6

Member Garage

It is fuel injected. Those are the throttle bodies in that picture. So says the diagram in the service manual. Had me worried for a second there that I was reading the wrong info for the bike this whole time. I was wondering how it ran with the PCIII on for so many miles since it was put on a minimum of a few thousand miles ago.

I'm not sure what is going on, bad gas, doesn't like cold, but whatever it is/was it just ran fine as I went all over town. Took her towards town, around 610, down 45 to Bay Area Blvd to see if I could find PP2. In every gear and at all rpm's it was smooth as could be. Once I got off the highway and was sitting at lights the idle stayed at 1500 rpm's, needle never moved. Once I got that whole tank out I added more sea foam and filled up again. Hopefully whatever it was is done with.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #53
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Weirdest looking FI setup I've ever seen- they look just like carbs!

Good deal, glad you had some luck. I'll bet it was the Sea Foam that did it.

Let us know if your issues are cured
Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 PM   #54
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Graves makes some slide stops for the top slides on your throttle bodies. There is a how to here:

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...ide-stops.html

Advertisement