MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #41
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphin View Post
i dont carry any tools or anything in my bike to help out someone.. plus im broke and cant afford to be buying stuff for others.

but if i had a trailer of my own and happen to be carrying my bike somewhere rather than ride and had the room id help the person out
Just from a preparedness perspective, folks should carry a plug kit. $5 or so at an autoparts store or walmart. Waterweld is a great idea too. It takes virtually no room under the seat.

When I helped Stacy and her friend on the Duc, the back had a bad problem. oil all over. I was on the Bourget with no tools. stopped anyway, since I had my cellular phone. I called ahead to MSR to try to help the gent get hooked up with a trailer. There are many ways to help. It starts by stopping for a chat.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why i got stranded... DLite General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-07-2014 03:18 PM
NEED HELP! STRANDED wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 09-15-2011 12:51 AM
Help I'm Stranded. Honda Mami Off Topic 2 03-19-2011 07:14 PM
IM STRANDED*** CAN I GET SOME HELP??!!!!!! thenewguy General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 09-07-2010 09:24 AM
Stranded Slvr04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-21-2005 12:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #42
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Just from a preparedness perspective, folks should carry a plug kit. $5 or so at an autoparts store or walmart. Waterweld is a great idea too. It takes virtually no room under the seat.

When I helped Stacy and her friend on the Duc, the back had a bad problem. oil all over. I was on the Bourget with no tools. stopped anyway, since I had my cellular phone. I called ahead to MSR to try to help the gent get hooked up with a trailer. There are many ways to help. It starts by stopping for a chat.
I feel stupid now Curt, it never clicked that was you on that chopper until now.

Lee Harvey Oswald: Where are you when we need you?
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #43
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker View Post
I feel stupid now Curt, it never clicked that was you on that chopper until now.
Striker, was that you on the Duc??

BTW, Striker is the poster child for preparedness. We should call him McGyver.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:44 PM   #44
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Striker, was that you on the Duc??

BTW, Striker is the poster child for preparedness. We should call him McGyver.

no not on the Duc, I pulled over with you tho.

McGyver, funny.
I did not have anything to fix all that oil.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #45
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
oil can be flamable. so set it on fire to get rid of all of it

lol
Old 12-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #46
striker
Zip Tie Guy

Bike(s):
2003 GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
oil can be flamable. so set it on fire to get rid of all of it

lol
I didn't think of that.
Not sure whoever owned the bike would have liked it tho.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #47
zampano

Send a message via AIM to zampano
Quote:
I know there are quite a few who look out for fellow riders. It would be nice to see virtually every motorcycle rider to stop or slow to check on fellow riders. One day it could be one of us.

BTW, thinking back to one of my personal experiences. A long time ago I had a ZX-11 and was riding southbound on 290 up to my usual antics. I slowed to a somewhat reasonable speed as approaching the crest of a hill, looking for PoPo. As I came over the top the rear tire blew; there was a little drama as I got it to the side of the road. I was there probably two or three minutes and a lady pulled over to see if I needed any help. Imagine that, little lady stopping to help a monster of a guy in black leathers and what not. She told me.... my son rides a sportbike, so I try to look out for them. Great lady. She drove me to my house so I could pick up my truck.

-Curt

Nice story, that reminds me a LOT of my mother, in fact I'm pretty sure she has done and said something like that.

Back when I had a bike I pulled over or did a u-turn for someone every time I saw them. I still would in the vette, but I just don't drive it around that much so I haven't been presented a chance.

Although I have also been passed by a lot of people on bikes when I was sitting on the side of the road. And I've been found in the middle of no where by a tow truck when I had only been there 20 min.

I think my best story was when I pulled over and pushed a woman's car out of the way of the BW8 feeder traffic at about 5pm in some serious heat and tightened down her battery cable. She made me give her my address and sent me back a thank you card with a gift certificate to chilli's ... said she thought I must be her guardian angel
zampano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 PM   #48
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zampano View Post
Nice story, that reminds me a LOT of my mother, in fact I'm pretty sure she has done and said something like that.

Back when I had a bike I pulled over or did a u-turn for someone every time I saw them. I still would in the vette, but I just don't drive it around that much so I haven't been presented a chance.

Although I have also been passed by a lot of people on bikes when I was sitting on the side of the road. And I've been found in the middle of no where by a tow truck when I had only been there 20 min.

I think my best story was when I pulled over and pushed a woman's car out of the way of the BW8 feeder traffic at about 5pm in some serious heat and tightened down her battery cable. She made me give her my address and sent me back a thank you card with a gift certificate to chilli's ... said she thought I must be her guardian angel
Ahhh... How nice is that!!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:51 PM   #49
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #50
c2duevas
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
07 suzuki gsxr600
02 kawasaki zrx1200r - RIP
94 suzuki gsx600f - sold
07 cool sports 150 - wrecked
97 bmw 740il (cage)

Member Garage

User is banned

c2duevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #51
Trung
rip chad jones

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

long story short, i laid the bike down and while i was picking it up a lady stopped and asked if i was out of gas, she made my day. while i'm getting on the bike another lady stops and asks if i'm okay. so within a minute or so, two people have stopped and checked up on me. it sucks to see someone was out on the highway for 25 minutes just sitting there
Trung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 AM   #52
maxgs

Member Garage

That's very nice. And women stopping too!
Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #53
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Have you guys noticed, that on the occassions in life, that we have been stranded, that it is the older crowd that helps?

And this is a huge assumption, based on not alot, but the younger crowd, say under 25, is not as selfless as older folks.

As a matter of fact, I can not remember anyone, that appeared under 25 helping me out. Ever.

And I am sure hooligan may have helped me at some point, so he is the exception.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:52 AM   #54
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Have you guys noticed, that on the occassions in life, that we have been stranded, that it is the older crowd that helps?

And this is a huge assumption, based on not alot, but the younger crowd, say under 25, is not as selfless as older folks.

As a matter of fact, I can not remember anyone, that appeared under 25 helping me out. Ever.

And I am sure hooligan may have helped me at some point, so he is the exception.
we gonna make general assumptions about certain groups of people. i stop and help people on road all the time as I know many others my age who do as well, whether its a bike or not.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #55
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
we gonna make general assumptions about certain groups of people. i stop and help people on road all the time as I know many others my age who do as well, whether its a bike or not.
Man! You are after me arent ya??? I said, in my post, it was a HUGE assumption, "based on not much" AND i named an exception by name, Hooligan.

So, maybe you are an expection too. Gezze brudda.!
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #56
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #57
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

That's enough bullshit, stay on topic.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #58
tarosean

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 ZX11/ '65 T120R/'93 Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

As a matter of fact, I can not remember anyone, that appeared under 25 helping me out. Ever..
Do you think its selfishness or the dying of the "brotherhood"?

The last time I was stranded. (with a blown coolant hose on the ZX11) I was waiting for the wife and trailer to rescue me. I cannot even count the number of sportbikers that passed without stopping (10+). Every Harley rider stopped and about 10 cagers stopped and offered help, etc. One Cager who was a HD rider did his best to try and rigg something up to no avail as the break happened in a bad spot.

Out of about 30 people that stopped only one cager was young and he rode.
(Was out there for over an hour)
tarosean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #59
maxgs

Member Garage

It's a different world today. I think the younger folks are more concerned about self preservation rather than taking a risk and helping others. The media doesn't help with the ongoing coverage of every incident of violence that happens in any corner of the USA. They've portrayed the world to be such a dangerous place. Don't stop - you might be killed, kidnapped, robbed, raped, whatever... even though statistically it's incredibly remote.

Even further, the younger generation doesn't seem to have gone through the same male "bonding" that happened in many of our younger years. Somebody mouthed off, bullied a friend, etc, they got their handed to them. With today's abhorrence to violence the much needed minor skirmishes that help folks learn lessons of respect and honor is missing.

All that said, I still travel armed. One never knows.

Last edited by maxgs; 12-15-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #60
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned