MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 11:04 AM   #21
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
If there's something I can facilitate in, then I stop. Otherwise I slow down and see if they are asking for help.

If Im leading a larger group and they physically look ok, that is taken into consideration as well. If its a rider down situation, we will stop to make sure they are ok. I dont trust pulling up to a group of more then a couple on the road since that is a big ploy in California for bike thefts; stolen bikes wo engines dropped off a truck and riders waiting for a nicer bike to stop; sad but true. I had two friends fall victim to it.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why i got stranded... DLite General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-07-2014 03:18 PM
NEED HELP! STRANDED wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 09-15-2011 12:51 AM
Help I'm Stranded. Honda Mami Off Topic 2 03-19-2011 07:14 PM
IM STRANDED*** CAN I GET SOME HELP??!!!!!! thenewguy General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 09-07-2010 09:24 AM
Stranded Slvr04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-21-2005 12:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM   #22
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
If there's something I can facilitate in, then I stop. Otherwise I slow down and see if they are asking for help.

If Im leading a larger group and they physically look ok, that is taken into consideration as well. If its a rider down situation, we will stop to make sure they are ok. I dont trust pulling up to a group of more then a couple on the road since that is a big ploy in California for bike thefts; stolen bikes wo engines dropped off a truck and riders waiting for a nicer bike to stop; sad but true. I had two friends fall victim to it.
We can't live our lives in fear, particularly when it means not helping people in need.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgixer View Post
oh yeah i owe ya a cigar, lol
Cigar! Woo hoo. I'm all over that.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:27 AM   #24
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
We can't live our lives in fear, particularly when it means not helping people in need.
If they are down or ask for help(always slow down) I'll stop. But if there's 20 or so behind me, that becomes a problem. On a backroad or in isolated circumstance, most definitely. On a main road where they should have cell coverage there is little I can offer from the seat of a bike, especially since I dont have a trailer or truck; and my cell phone is limited at best.

I have pulled bikes before w mine(lol, you know who you are on here... and I do need that strap back someday so services could be provided for other stunters that try to ride coldsprings w a limited supply of gas)
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #25
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
If they are down or ask for help(always slow down) I'll stop. But if there's 20 or so behind me, that becomes a problem. On a backroad or in isolated circumstance, most definitely. On a main road where they should have cell coverage there is little I can offer from the seat of a bike, especially since I dont have a trailer or truck; and my cell phone is limited at best.

I have pulled bikes before w mine(lol, you know who you are on here... and I do need that strap back someday so services could be provided for other stunters that try to ride coldsprings w a limited supply of gas)
That's awesome. Towing a bike with a bike.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
gixxergirloh2
~*~*~*~*~

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I always, at the very least, slow to a snails pace, chuck the thumbs up and wait for one in return. If I do not get one, I stop.

And yes, I have personally witnessed Curt, trailer bikes, WAY out of his way, on several occassions. Including a couple of hundred miles, round trip, just last week. And thanks again for that, I know your football sunday kinda got screwed up on that one.
I dont think you are the only one Curt, but certainly one of the more selfless ones.

Speaking of flat tires and Glaveston. I have a property down there that I maintain the landscape on. We went in the day after the public was allowed to enter. Leaving galvestion, I must have saw, no less that 5 cars, stranded along 45 with flat tires from all the debris in the road.
well i think what you did is wonderful for those stranded bikers....and you got your sunday football ruined last weekend ????? OMG
Old 12-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #27
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i dont carry any tools or anything in my bike to help out someone.. plus im broke and cant afford to be buying stuff for others.

but if i had a trailer of my own and happen to be carrying my bike somewhere rather than ride and had the room id help the person out
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #28
themutt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 Suzuki sv650sf (totaled!)

Send a message via AIM to themutt
what can someone else on a bike really do in that situation? if they have cell phones, they already have all that I (and assumably most riders) have to offer.
of course if you have free trailer room, that's another thing and pretty awesome for how much you help out.

but I was riding s on 45 yesterday, and running late to meet someone, and passed some choppers on the side of the freeway. I passed them, and didn't feel bad about it, there's nothing I could have possibly done.

they should carry spares!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #29
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

I do agree maybe one day i will be lucky enough to have the choice of towing my bike or even "bikes" but until then I cant fix a flat on the side of the road. once I ran and got a can of fix a flat for a guy whos tire had lost air came back filled the tire up and got him to the gas station at least but that was my dam money for lunch. Gas station thinks fix a flat is worth 6.99 bull .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #30
Redux

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

I've also been surprised how unprepared people are - those who get stranded and those who stop to help. It's really not that hard to carry some tools, a tire patch kit, and jumper cables on your bike in a small tailbag.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

cant you just run and pop the clutch? for jumper cables?
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:16 PM   #32
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
cant you just run and pop the clutch? for jumper cables?
No, in most case the rear tire will just lock up due to no weight on the bike.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:19 PM   #33
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
No, in most case the rear tire will just lock up due to no weight on the bike.
Really? And what if u put it in a higher gear? Then what happens?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:24 PM   #34
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Really? And what if u put it in a higher gear? Then what happens?
Ideally you would need to put it in second, run for a while downhill to build speed, then hop on it and pop the clutch. On a freeway median that's suicide.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #35
themutt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 Suzuki sv650sf (totaled!)

Send a message via AIM to themutt
That' s a good point though. I think I will start carrying around a tire patch kit and/or fix flat.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
Stacy
One day at a time!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
99 Ninja 250
04 Honda f4i

Good on you Curt! You are definately the man that will go out of his way to help another rider. You were our savior on the way to the MH BBQ when James' duc broke down. Not one other rider that passed by offered to see if we were ok, much less offer a helping hand until you cruised up.

I always either slow to a creep or stop if I see a rider on the side of the road. It's a great feeling you get when you are able to help another person out.
Back in August, my oldest son and I were heading home from Galveston on a Saturday afternoon when be passed Bayou Vista and saw guy pushing his bike on the outside shoulder. I was in the fast lane and couldn't get over to the outside lane in time so we drove to the next exit and circled around. Pulled up behind the guy and asked if he would like some help. Poor guys phone had died and not one person had stopped to help him or even offer a phone for him to use and it was nasty hot outside that day. The guy was seriously going to try to push his bike all the way home to La Marque (he lived in a neighborhood behind Texas Yamaha). He had a truck and trailer at home, just no way of getting a hold of anyone to bring it out as his family was in Austin. I told him no problem, hop in and we'd drive him home so he could get his truck.

I had never seen my son look so uncomfortable, he was not happy about me letting some stranger in the car. After we dropped the guy off at his place and made sure he'd be okay loading the bike himself, my son finally relaxed. I told him that if you're gonna ride, you have to be willing to help out others that ride too. It's just the way it works, I know that if for some reason the same situation happened to me, I'd hope someone would stop to help me.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #37
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

i always stop and ask if they need assistance. it would suck being stranded.

alot of times theres nothing i can really do (i have an expedition, and no trialer, or im on my bike) but make sure they have a cell phone or that they have someone coming. if nothing else it gives them comfort that someone out there actually gave a enough about them to make sure they were ok.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #38
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

no room for a plug kit or anything you cant carry in your pockets. on a daytona.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
Redux

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
no room for a plug kit or anything you cant carry in your pockets. on a daytona.
Get a tailbag. $40 at Cycle Gear.

Cargo20Basic20tail20bag20black 310x310
Old 12-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #40
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years

yup. i have a tank bag and dont leave home without it.

Advertisement