MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 09:09 AM   #1
maxgs

Member Garage

Helping Stranded Bikes?

So I was headed down to the rally yesterday with the Bourget on the trailer. On 45 south perhaps as far at the 518 exit, I notice a couple of guys in the median. I saw that a guy on a metric metric cruiser had a flat rear tire. As I drove by, I was thinking with all the bike traffic somebody would stop pretty quickly. I drove past one exit and then decided to turn back... bro code / sport bike code rules, right?

As I'm north bound, I didn't see the bikes in the median but notice a couple of bikes on the frontage road. I see that the metric bike has got a sport bike behind him. I'm thinking all is well, a sportbike guy had stopped and I wasn't surprised. I did the turn around up the road and was coming back on 45 south when I came up on the two bikes. I decided to stop to just ensure all was ok, despite having to drive across the grass median to the frontage road with a showbike on the trailer.

So I talked to these guys and it turned out they were both the same bikes I had seen originally. There was a break in the traffic so they moved both bikes. I only had one set of straps, so I had the sportbike guy run to the walmart down the street and get straps so we could haul the bike to a more convenient location for them to solve their flat tire problem. As we waited for him to return I was shocked and dismayed to learn that these guys were in the median for TWENTY FIVE MINUTES without anybody stopping to help.

In the time I was standing there at least a couple of hundred bikes went by. Mix of harleys, metric cruisers, and sport bikes. I can only imagine how many went by in 25 minutes. Given the size of motohouston, superbikemoto, and the other large motorcycle communities in Houston, I figured the riders in this area would be pretty sensitive to other motorcyclists.

As luck would have it, as I'm heading back home putting along in the traffic on 45 just north of galveston I see a big metric cruiser on the side of the road with a flat front tire. Both the rider and his lady friend have their cell phones lit up. I was going all of 15 mph, so I went ahead and pulled over. This time he hadn't been stopped long. Anyway, we put his fat tub of a bike on the trailer and I took the guy to his place in kingwood.

All this has me thinking about our community. How many of y'all will regularly stop to assist a bike on the side of the road? If not, why?? He waited 25 minutes in the median on a heavily trafficked road rich with motorcycles. That's just crazy.

-Curt
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why i got stranded... DLite General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 07-07-2014 03:18 PM
NEED HELP! STRANDED wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 09-15-2011 12:51 AM
Help I'm Stranded. Honda Mami Off Topic 2 03-19-2011 07:14 PM
IM STRANDED*** CAN I GET SOME HELP??!!!!!! thenewguy General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 09-07-2010 09:24 AM
Stranded Slvr04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-21-2005 12:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I do all the time, good on ya
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
I do all the time, good on ya
Now why am I not surprised that you help folks.

Seems that there are a big chuck of people who don't.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Thanks, Verry cool of U to stop your day of fun to help not once but twice, Still got the B. huh? I get alot of satisfaction out of helping people out in anyway I can
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Nonsense

Feedback Rating: (-1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
1999 CBR 600-Wrecked
2000 GSXR 750-Sold
2001 R1-Sold
2005 GSXR 750-Wrecked
2005 GSXR 1000

I saw some people stop on the side of the freeway, when I stoped they said, they were waiting for a friend to catch up.

I felt kind of stupid
Nonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
burnboy
upliftmofopartyplan

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 kawi z 1000

wow all the way to kingwood. thats very cool. what a nice guy.
burnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
Charliebrown

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
zzr

I help out if I see someone on the side of the road or if they need help
Charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
level5
moving chicane

good for you.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

I'm "Biker Friendly" and stopping to help stranded motorcyclists is part of the code.

http://bikerfriend.org/
Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 AM   #10
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

That was pretty good of you to stop on your way to have fun. It would have been easy to think they probably have cell phones and don't need help.
We left a trackday at MSRH one afternoon and there was a guy a GSXR 1000 that had his backpack come unstrapped from the rear seat and jam down between the tire and swingarm. He said he was going about 75mph, it left a heavy black stripe about 100yds long.
That's how far an almost new rear tire lasts when it stops turning. It wore a hole.
Anyway we had room on the trailer so we gave him a ride home. It was a little way out of the way, but he was very grateful.

Carry the means to fix a simple flat, ALWAYS.
Stop and help people in need.
Be sure you strap stuff down GOOD on the back seat!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I stop most of the time. Several times on my way home from trackdays I have caught stranded bikes/riders on backroads. Lucky for them, I still had some fuel left from my trackday.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona Rider View Post
I saw some people stop on the side of the freeway, when I stoped they said, they were waiting for a friend to catch up.

I felt kind of stupid
Definitely not stupid. Always good to stop.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:31 AM   #13
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I always, at the very least, slow to a snails pace, chuck the thumbs up and wait for one in return. If I do not get one, I stop.

And yes, I have personally witnessed Curt, trailer bikes, WAY out of his way, on several occassions. Including a couple of hundred miles, round trip, just last week. And thanks again for that, I know your football sunday kinda got screwed up on that one.

I dont think you are the only one Curt, but certainly one of the more selfless ones.

Speaking of flat tires and Glaveston. I have a property down there that I maintain the landscape on. We went in the day after the public was allowed to enter. Leaving galvestion, I must have saw, no less that 5 cars, stranded along 45 with flat tires from all the debris in the road.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
NeedySV

Bike(s):
SV1000K6

I helped a fellow rider who's TL was broke down in my neighborhood. He had developed a fuel leak as it was pouring all down his hot motor. I ran home and got every rag I could gather and we contained the spill. I then helped him push his bike a few blocks down the road back to his house. I offered to help him find/ fix the leak, but he said that he would handle it.
NeedySV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
maxgs

Member Garage

I know there are quite a few who look out for fellow riders. It would be nice to see virtually every motorcycle rider to stop or slow to check on fellow riders. One day it could be one of us.

BTW, thinking back to one of my personal experiences. A long time ago I had a ZX-11 and was riding southbound on 290 up to my usual antics. I slowed to a somewhat reasonable speed as approaching the crest of a hill, looking for PoPo. As I came over the top the rear tire blew; there was a little drama as I got it to the side of the road. I was there probably two or three minutes and a lady pulled over to see if I needed any help. Imagine that, little lady stopping to help a monster of a guy in black leathers and what not. She told me.... my son rides a sportbike, so I try to look out for them. Great lady. She drove me to my house so I could pick up my truck.

-Curt
Old 12-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Chassis View Post
I'm "Biker Friendly" and stopping to help stranded motorcyclists is part of the code.

http://bikerfriend.org/
Very nice!
Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

99 zx9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
So I was headed down to the rally yesterday with the Bourget on the trailer. On 45 south perhaps as far at the 518 exit, I notice a couple of guys in the median. I saw that a guy on a metric metric cruiser had a flat rear tire. As I drove by, I was thinking with all the bike traffic somebody would stop pretty quickly. I drove past one exit and then decided to turn back... bro code / sport bike code rules, right?

As I'm north bound, I didn't see the bikes in the median but notice a couple of bikes on the frontage road. I see that the metric bike has got a sport bike behind him. I'm thinking all is well, a sportbike guy had stopped and I wasn't surprised. I did the turn around up the road and was coming back on 45 south when I came up on the two bikes. I decided to stop to just ensure all was ok, despite having to drive across the grass median to the frontage road with a showbike on the trailer.

So I talked to these guys and it turned out they were both the same bikes I had seen originally. There was a break in the traffic so they moved both bikes. I only had one set of straps, so I had the sportbike guy run to the walmart down the street and get straps so we could haul the bike to a more convenient location for them to solve their flat tire problem. As we waited for him to return I was shocked and dismayed to learn that these guys were in the median for TWENTY FIVE MINUTES without anybody stopping to help.

In the time I was standing there at least a couple of hundred bikes went by. Mix of harleys, metric cruisers, and sport bikes. I can only imagine how many went by in 25 minutes. Given the size of motohouston, superbikemoto, and the other large motorcycle communities in Houston, I figured the riders in this area would be pretty sensitive to other motorcyclists.

As luck would have it, as I'm heading back home putting along in the traffic on 45 just north of galveston I see a big metric cruiser on the side of the road with a flat front tire. Both the rider and his lady friend have their cell phones lit up. I was going all of 15 mph, so I went ahead and pulled over. This time he hadn't been stopped long. Anyway, we put his fat tub of a bike on the trailer and I took the guy to his place in kingwood.

All this has me thinking about our community. How many of y'all will regularly stop to assist a bike on the side of the road? If not, why?? He waited 25 minutes in the median on a heavily trafficked road rich with motorcycles. That's just crazy.

-Curt
curt i would expect no less from you, i know thats the way u roll. ur just good peeps. but i would also help i always carry tools for a flat a set of levers, gear shifter, jb weld and ties. i sure miss you on .... well u know
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #18
jgixer

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

99 zx9

oh yeah i owe ya a cigar, lol
jgixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
ekfraz

Bike(s):
2013 Can Am Spyder RT
2014 Yamaha Bolt

In this day and time it is great to find someone willing to help others out when in a situation like that, If I was in a situation like that I would appreciate a kind person willing to help me out, you not only helped these people out but there is a good chance that you may have made new friends. Bless You and Merry Christmas
ekfraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
lorin70

I'll usually stop and see if they need any assistance especially if it is someone riding solo who doesn't have anyone to go for help or parts. I keep a plug kit on the bike for flats. I have a 3 rail trailer and if I'm going to the track or something I always have every tie-down strap I own with me just in case someone needs a lift. I've even offered to go home and get my trailer to haul people home if need be but no one has accepted that.

Being stranded sucks. I've only been stranded once on a bike when I got a flat with a tube tire. Fortunately I was only a couple of miles from home so I ran home and got my trailer.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement