MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Gotta love technology.........bike computer talk...LONG....

But the kicks my ......

There is some VERY smart individuals that have managed to hack into Suzuki and Kawasaki ECUs, learn how they work and how to tweak them, thus removing the need for power commanders, TREs, air shift kill boxes etc. These guys have been working on this stuff for over a year and are making it pretty simple to install and use. This guy PetriK, was one of the first to hack a hayabusa ECU, then wrote software that allowed to you tweak the ECUs. Several others have beta tested and contributed to the development of this stuff. Now its starting to grow rapidly... So WTF does this have to do with anything?

Well I decided to try it, I converted my 2000 busa ECU and ignition rotor over to the new 02-07 ECU(these are the only ones being hacked), downloaded all the hack/tuning software, then bought the custom built flash device. Got it all installed and working but , my tuning is now F'd up royally. Gonna take a lot of time to get it all back right but the possibilities with tuning the ECUs is endless....100X more stuff then you can do with a power commander. This sh*t is pretty cool but man its a lot of work.

Here is some of the benefits for ECU tuning(busa/ZX12, ZX14, Gix1k) as opposed to piggy backing a Power commander or other devices:

1) FULL fuel map tuning, (3 fuel tables and one auxilliary table you can use for secondary fueling....ie. nitrous map, ram air compensation maps, gear dependent maps)

2) Full ignition tuning capabilities.....add timing, take some out...whatever you want.

3) Adjustment of rev limiters, raise them, lower them, different limiters in each gear, whatever you want. You can also make them a full hard cut limiter to kill all fuel to prevent meltdowns from partial fueling in the limiter.

4) Removal of factory speed limiter(no TRE needed)

5) Use busa flapper valve circuit to control auxillary devices...ie. nitrous, air shifter etc, all programmed through the ECU.

6) No power commander to fail, no TRE to screw up mapping in the first 4 gears, no window switches needed for nitrous, can tune secondary injectors etc...no kill box needed for air shifter etc, all controlled by the bike's own ecu.

Ofcourse the problem is, all of this is new, no shops are using it yet and its VERY in depth. Ryan Schnitz (Schnitz Racing parts retailer) just tuned a nitrous busa using the ECU editor last week and now they are a dealer for the Flash boxes needed to flash the ECUs.....he was pretty impressed with the technology that took so long to develope. The late Great Dave Owens had been working on this for a year before he got killed at Maxton. He was the brain child of it all I believe.

I wanted to try this because I needed the extended rev limiter for land speed racing, and also wanted to be able to better tune my part throttle ranges(cruising around town) so I needed more adjustability then a power commander offered. Plus I wanted to get rid of the PCIII which has been nothing but problems on my bike and I have been through 3 of them. I know once I get it all worked out, it will be real cool but man.....its a PITA to get it all tuned in....

If any busa guys are interested in this, let me know and I will send you the info. All the software is free for download, the flash box is about $170....after that, you can tune it yourself once you learn how to navigate through the software. Ofcourse you will need a dyno or wideband datalogger to do it but.....

Cool stuff coming ahead...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gotta love his attitude Grinchy Off Topic 10 09-07-2010 03:40 PM
Reflection on motorcycle technology... (long) tomLSTD Taking it to the Track 7 07-15-2010 09:09 AM
i gotta do this again i love a.s.i superkat Stunters Lounge 75 08-17-2009 01:37 PM
GOTTA LOVE............................ ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 11 03-24-2009 11:31 PM
YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE GSXR's FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 03-18-2006 05:17 PM
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i was wondering when this would happen! Its been going on for years with car computers, and its often left me wondering why the bike scene was lagging so far behind.
Piggy back systems like the Power Commander, if you ask me, they jsut suck as they are just altering signal, and often altering one signal can lead to changes you do not want. I know that a certain piggyback device used for years in the Honda world alters map sensor signal, which in turns causes undesirable changes in ignition timing (especially in forced induction).

Now what I am really curious of though....what sensors does the busa computer require to operate? As in how hard is it going to be to custom wire any other bike up and use one of these computers?
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Sounds like you now have access similar to the car systems like the Accell DFI I ran on my camaro. Trick is to save the baseline maps so you can always go back, and work on one thing at a time. Real easy to get way off track.

I used the datalogging and a wideband O2 system to tune with. Sometimes the dyno will give you a "false" tune compared to the real roads, so always tune a bit on the safe side on the dyno.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Believe it or not, the 02 and later ZX12s and Busas use the same ECU. I am sure people will start to morph a busa ECU into other bikes. The problem is the rev ranges in the tables....If the fuel tables in a busa ECU are good to 12000, its not gonna work on a 1000 or 750 obviously since they rev higher. But to answer your question, a busa uses these sensors to run:

TPS, IAT, MAP, Baro pressure, GPS, Speedo, water temp, I think thats it.

yeah this is gonna be real cool once more people start using it/developing it. There is already a website for sharing map files and a message board that is dedicated to hacking/tuning factory ECUs on different bikes. Here is the link...check it out.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spa...umID=99460&p=1

I think eventually, tuners/shops will start using this in place of power commanders. No component to fail, more tune-ability and cheaper. Shops could pocket all the money from the labor since they are not selling a $300 power commander. Once they have the software, the flash box and the knowledge, they really don't need anything else other then the bike..

Old 12-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

hm, just give it time then, its nto as if rpm data points are set in stone, its just a data table. with honda car ecus they have been changing those data points for nearly a decade now. for example an ecu used to run an engine that revs to 6800rpm stock can used just as easily on an engine that revs to 10k.

As far as how well it takes off, it all depends on how well the software works. I am willing to bet that if a certain ecu ends up being easier to program we are going to see a pile of adapter harnesses being made to allow that ecu to run on other models. with that short a list of sensors its not going to be hard to make it happen.

Thanks for sharing the info! I am looking forward to reading that other forum!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
Good info..
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

this.... sounds... niiiiice
Busa_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

On the DFI, even if you rev higher than the map, the last fuel number stays the same, I wonder if the Busa can do the same....?
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
On the DFI, even if you rev higher than the map, the last fuel number stays the same, I wonder if the Busa can do the same....?

Not sure... I know on my MT2 fuel controller, it will carry over the numbers in the last columns/cells forward.

I am sure this ECU editor software is no where near as refined as the DFI stuff.... It is Windows based and is relatively self explanatory to use....I am having a hard time tuning the IAP maps. This is used for tuning <10% throttle position. The grid is in Rpm X KPA(vacuum but not HGs) so I have no clue how to see where I am at in the map at a certain throttle position. Just trial and error right now. I got it a lot closer last night. Still needs a LOT of time and tuning but. It will get there eventually. At least now its running well enough to take it to bike nights.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Still working on it....make changes and it helps some spots and hurts others....I am about to go back to basics and just tape the laptop on to the gas tank and go for a ride and tune it live.....

I will be glad when I get this thing done someday.....I miss riding it like a normal bike....

Old 12-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I so hungry!
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
1slocbr
Banned

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
Got-Busa?

Trackdays: 10+

Any word on this being hacked on the 08+ bikes...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement