MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

Velocity stacks?!?!?

anybody have any usefull information for velocity stack for a busa. ive done a little research and seems to me the sizes and staggaring of the stacks all depends on mods and such done to the bike. i didnt know if anybody could lead me more in a straight line on this. i dont have much done to bike really, but i dont wanna get the stacks then do something else to the bike like cams and pretty much waste money on a set of stacks then have to buy some more. if need be i can wait and get it all at once (stacks and cams or whatnot) but if anybody has good info on them please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Busa_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Velocity stacks order Mr.D How To's and Q & A's 14 02-22-2011 02:02 PM
what are velocity stacks texasmade1 Performance and Modifications 13 04-11-2010 11:32 AM
do velocity stacks require a full system? THE DEAN OF LEAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 06-02-2008 10:23 PM
Velocity Stacks questions?? HoustonGixxer Performance and Modifications 100 01-26-2008 12:56 AM
Velocity stacks instead of airbox? Metzzen1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 02-11-2007 10:31 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Do the internal mods first.

Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited had that discussion with me before and I ended up not liking the stacks as he told me before I got them.

I have no internals done, just large intake box mod, BCM, pair valve system removed/blocked, Iridium plugs, titanium 4-2-1, PCMIII.

Which ever way you side, remember to reprogram. That gets pricey. Zxalan will recommend JohnnyCheese naturally.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

yeah, ive got the small airbox mod, and the pair block off. also a 4-2-1 exhaust with yoshi pipe and a pc3. got the ngk 2 step hotter plugs and its geared down one up front. i figured i should do the internals first before or if i messed with some velocity stacks. i would have to look again but i saw some that had dyno sheets with +8 mid range and +4 up top with similar mods. thats why i was asking.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

oh also... what does anybody know or think about the pair sucker mod? worth it or a crock?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
evobusa7
<(<-_->)>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 crf 50cc (88cc) stunt

Send a message via Yahoo to evobusa7
Just go with turbo
evobusa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

easier said than paid for!!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
evobusa7
<(<-_->)>

Bike(s):
07 crf 50cc (88cc) stunt

Nos?
Old 11-30-2008, 06:53 PM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Bullet View Post
oh also... what does anybody know or think about the pair sucker mod? worth it or a crock?
? what's that. I havent heard of it.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

you can pull the large hose that goes to the air box, and hook it to the hose that goes to the vent, then the PAIR uses the exhaust to draw vacuum on the crankcase

thats a quote from some other forum online. i just came across it messing around online one day and thought it was interesting. some people online claim a small gain others say nothing. thought i would throw it out there hoping someone knew more about it along with the velocity stacks
Old 11-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

that would put the oil vapour into the exhaust directly vs through the engine again. I could see problems with the checkvalve over time gumming up w oil over time.

My whole pair valve system is not there from the tube to the checkvalve/hoses and stems. So that's out for me.

FYI, you can do an oil change and some will think the bike has 'come alive' lol
Old 11-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

yeah thats what someone had posted about that 'mod' having the oil build up. i figured it was a long shot and not worth it anyhow. i guess ill just dig inside the motor before messing with some stacks, i dont wanna buy 2 or three sets to compensate for mods when i can just hold off. and i stay up on my maint. so my bike is 'alive' enough for now with an oil change oh maaaan, im just in need/want of some more power. and i think i just wanna spend some money on my bike just becuase its been a little while
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #12
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

You will not really gain much power from velocity stacks, it really just changes where the power comes in. All short stacks give you a small boost in power up top(mainly because of how tight the long stacks get to the top of the air box). all long stacks are better for low end and midrange.....Mixed stacks is for a blend of both....HENCE the factory sent them out with mixed stacks. I experimented with all stack configurations, air box mods(big, small, custom hacked etc). From my experience, the best all around setup is a small box mod with mixed stacks. All short stacks work OK in a small modded box and you may gain 2-3hp up top....all up top. All shorts SUCK in a big modded box...no velocity, you will lose power all over. Matter in fact, a big modded box sucks for a stock motor, you will lose low end power with it. On a 1363 or 1397 motor, it works well.

Here is my recommendation for modding a busa for the street but trying to get the absolute most out of it.

1) GOOD exhaust system(akro, Brocks, Ti Force, Tsugiki, even the Muzzy works well)

2) Small box mod, mixed stacks, ram air seals to the frame
3) Power commander with a GOOD custom made map on a dyno

All of that will get you an honest 160-168hp

4) Next i would throw in some Yosh Stg 1 cams, degree them in and then remap the bike, you will gain a solid 7-10hp, cost about $1k to do this if you buy them new and pay for the install/mapping. This is 175rwhp

OR a cheaper alternative to this is get a second stock intake cam, put an adjustable sprocket on it and install it on the exhaust side, degree them it to 107*. Check/adjust the valves, then remap it. This will also get you 175rwhp for about $500 or less but it will make less bottom end power then the yosh cams.

The list can go on VERY much further but the above mods will keep your bike running strong and reliable as a stocker forever and give you definet gains

The key is good tuning and part selection.

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

As far as the PAIR sucker mod......I have tested it, it does work to a degree. but I wouldn't recommend it. Basically it pulls a vacuum on the crankcase which aids in ring sealing and reduce pumping losses, thats where the additional 2-3hp gain comes from. But it also keeps a vacuum lock on the crankcase which renders the oil pump priming, especially if the pump/filter is dry like when you just changed the oil. Lots of times you would have to start the bike with the oil filler cap OFF so the oil pump would prime up after changing the oil/filter.....if not, the oil pressure light would stay on a LONG time before going out and that means the bearings are runnin dry. I ran this mod for several years but I always made sure to vent the crankcase when changing oil.. Its not worth the 2hp.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #14
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

Interesting... I hadnt heard of that mod before now.

...and I figured you had alot of good info on said topics
Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
evobusa7
<(<-_->)>

Bike(s):
07 crf 50cc (88cc) stunt

Zxalan man u have to work on my busa
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #16
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
Interesting... I hadnt heard of that mod before now.

...and I figured you had alot of good info on said topics
Yeah no ....I have owned this one since 2000 and worked on countless others so...8-9yrs of experimenting with them and living on hayabusa message boards all that time....you learn a few things...You can pretty much name it and I have done, been through it, tried it.....I have wasted a ton of money on R&D on these things.... been fun though

The best all around setup I had was with the stock motor, yosh cams, HMF big bird pipe, small box mod with a custom, home made filter, pair sucker and a 40 shot of dope......It had 20k miles on it and ran like a stocker.....it made 175rwhp on motor, 223hp on dope, I could ride it anywhere, race it anywhere and never have a problem..... After that level of mods....its all down hill. Everything has a trade off, gain power some where, lose it somewhere else. OR gain power but lose rideability, streetability and reliability....

Just remember there is always a trade off for something in the horsepower game....nothing is free.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #17
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr

And now the busa is a frankenstein beast lol...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

i really appreciate you lending out all of your knowledge on the busa. man am i thankfull some one else has already been there and done it all so i dont have too!! but again, your always helpfull with your information and very detailed about it. like ive said before in other posts i would like to build something streetable, but will tear some major a$$ up. i really could care less about loosing gas mileage and things of that nature. i just dont want something unreliable or very high high maint. im out of town enough to drop it off for problems/upgrades if need be. im just looking to take that next step and am not too sure what the best route would be for what i want. we will have to meet up sometime and have a good busa chat and ill soak up all your suggestions with an open mind.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Bullet View Post
i really appreciate you lending out all of your knowledge on the busa. man am i thankfull some one else has already been there and done it all so i dont have too!! but again, your always helpfull with your information and very detailed about it. like ive said before in other posts i would like to build something streetable, but will tear some major a$$ up. i really could care less about loosing gas mileage and things of that nature. i just dont want something unreliable or very high high maint. im out of town enough to drop it off for problems/upgrades if need be. im just looking to take that next step and am not too sure what the best route would be for what i want. we will have to meet up sometime and have a good busa chat and ill soak up all your suggestions with an open mind.
Well if you wanted to get more serious with it then 175rwhp....The route that I would take would be to slap a set of 1397 pistons in it, a set of Megacycle 385 cams, that would get you mid 190s for HP.....you could also have the head ported by a GOOD porter and gain another 10-15hp...... You can get 200rwhp out of a 1397cc on pump gas pretty easy....the only down side is, sometimes they are hard to start when hot, usually most people add a small 2nd battery, like from a scooter, wire it for 24v to the starter, that spins it over super easy and no more hot starting problems. The other downside is the cost. It will cost you $3-4k to do a 1397 motor depending on what you do with it, thats assuming you already have a GOOD exhaust system, power commander etc. I would hit up Johnny Cheese in Austin if you decide to go 1397....he can hook you up with everything, the parts, the install, the tuning, the 24v starting system..... He is the 1397 master...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
wever411
Gunt Puncher

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 3 years

so which is the best bang for the buck mod?

Advertisement