MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #21
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I know when i was trying on helmets, you can tell a differencein the weght difference in the helmets

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icon Lucky Lid helmets on sale. BD#270 WILD WEST MOTOPLEX 2 07-19-2013 02:49 PM
Icon Alliance SSR helmets? Lokati General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 02-01-2011 08:07 PM
Anyone have thoughts/reviews on Fulmer Helmets? HoustonGixxer Gear Talk 0 12-14-2008 06:26 PM
Thoughts on Icon gear? toolfan91 Gear Talk 51 06-13-2008 10:33 PM
Icon Helmets. Any Good? ATWA327 Gear Talk 29 08-14-2007 12:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTD View Post
I've been pondering on a Icon helmet. The Infernal model really matches my bike. Does any one have any thoughts on them? I ride a Busa, so no track days, but I need to stay "cool." I ride to work and school quite regularly. No stunts...... I think I can get one for around $300. I wear a Suomy, Scorpian, and Shoei now.
It sounds like you already wear some nice helmets. Why do you want to cheap out now? Wear one of your other ones until you can afford a GOOD one that you like. Icon has some really cool LOOKING helmets, but I've talked to a lot of guys that have had them, and they won't buy another one. I wear an X-11. You don't HAVE to buy a $700 helmet. I got mine for $400 brand new, and it's the Kiyonari Edition. You can get an RF1000 for a pretty good price. Talk to the guys at Motorcycles Unlimited about them. I tried on a few Icons and found them to feel cheap. As far as weight, my HJC felt heavier than my X11 does. It's more about the actual fit than true weight. Also, everyone talks about weight being the diciding factor. Arai and DOT recommend that you not use a helmet under 3 lbs. When they weigh less than that, they're skimping on materials that will save your brain! So really, the discussion of weight comes down to ounces, not pounds. Just my $.02.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM   #23
HTD

Member Garage

I'm coming to my senses. I think your right. I'll be patient and wear what I have until I can get the one I really want, another nice Suomy. Thanks....
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #24
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Get the R2S2 from Shark is an excellent helmet.

Look through the internet, I have seen arai'x XR7 fro 390 USD and Shark's R2S2 for about 325. Not a bad deal considering they were retailing for 500+ in the summer.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #25
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
Are they really THAT heavy?

Shoei RF-1000 XL 1610 grams 3 lbs. 8-3/4 oz.
Shoei TZ-R XL 1606 grams 3 lbs. 8-5/8 oz.
Arai Quantum II XL 1624 grams 3 lbs. 9-1/4 oz.
Icon Mainframe XL 1632 grams 3 lbs. 9-1/2 oz.
Shoei X-Eleven XL 1635 grams 3 lbs. 9-5/8 oz.
Icon Airframe XL 1657 grams 3 lbs. 10-3/8 oz.
Arai Profile XL 1658 grams 3 lbs. 10-3/8 oz.

True...........

I think heavy isn't the proper word for some of these helmets........... it's more like "bulky".

Some helmets "feel" bulky to alot of people.

As long as you wear one!!! It's all in what you like and how it fits, just make sure it fits.

I hate rules
Any thoughts on Icon helmets?
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #26
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

There's only 1 5/8 ounces between the first and last helmet. That's less than 1/8 pound difference. I really don't notice weight differences like that. Like I said before, my X11 is heavier than my old HJC Paradox, but it doesn't feel that way because it fits better. I have owned some really light helmets in my life, and I have noticed that I feel a LOT more of the wind on the freeway with the lighter helmets. Actually, the shells really don't have a lot of difference in weight. I think where a lot of the weight comes from is the liners and padding, and it's worth every bit of the additional weight to get a good-fitting helmet.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #27
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

and in the case of the ex1000 don't forget the bells whistles and kitchen sink! It is just over 4 lbs!!!
I can tell the difference in weight between my main frame and the ex1000 fairly easily.

The mainframe, to me, looks great, but the lining feels kind of cheap, its also NOT removable!!! The bulkiness of it is a for sure thing, it appears to be as large or larger then my Scorpion, despite weight less. It fell off a bench from about 18 inches off the floor and the vents on the top are cracked due to that. The face shield has tiny surface cracks around the edges, I do not know why that happened. I still keep it around as a spare, though I working hard on de-scenting it and see I can't get $40 for it on cragslist once I get it to not stink AND get a second helmet.
The newer Airframe and Domain 2 helmets are definitely better quality. At Cycle Shack North they have Icon, HJC, Fulmer, Shoei and Arai helmets on display. So I tried them all on back to back to back.

Fulmer I don't care for. Feels similar to my Icon Mainframe when it was new. not a bad helmet, cool graphics, but other wise eh...why bother?
HJC does not fit my head, to me their linings feel a bit nicer than the old Icons, but are on par with the new stuff.
Icon Airframe is a big step up from the Mainframe. The domain 2 feels even better. both helmets are snug enough fits that once they break in they will fit very well. The lining is a big step up from their stuff of 2 years ago, they do not seem like bad helmets.

I actually tried the Arai on first, then Shoei though. They both fit so well, and overall quality was such that I would not even really consider Other brands of helmets aside from Shark or Suomy. There is just no comparison.

My ex1000 and the icon mainframe cost me $335 combined, and I could have gotten a solid color helmet from one of the big names. I wish i had done that instead....
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM   #28
HTD

Member Garage

Wow, thanks for the detailed and thorough write-ups. They are appreciated and noted...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #29
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Okay, I have to eat my words a LITTLE. I just bought an Icon today AS A BACKUP helmet. It actually doesn't feel real bad, but I can bet you it has a lot of road noise. I'll post back after trying it out. I got it because I got a of a deal on it. The Shoei is still my main helmet though, and always will be.

Here is the Icon. It's an Alliance SSR "Rocket's Dead Glare" model.

Picture006 1

Here is the Icon with the Shoei X11 Kiyonari.

Picture005
Old 12-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #30
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

my friend just bought a used Scorpion ex1000 and suddenly does not like his icon airframe nearly as much lol
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #31
The_Punisher
Squid Hunter

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 650R

Send a message via AIM to The_Punisher
I have an Icon Airframe and I like it so far. It doesn't seem to noisy or heavy, or maybe it just doesn't bother me as much as some people. I will say that it is a little big compared to other helmets; a little more wind buffeting when I look over my shoulder is the only thing I've really noticed about it. But this is my first helmet so maybe I just dont know better
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #32
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

Okay. Here's the scoop on the Icon Alliance SSR. I've ridden it a few days now and have started to get a feel for it. First of all, the graphics are fantastic! That seems to be a trademark for Icon. The very first thing that I noticed was that Icons are evidently sized a wee bit small. I wear a 2X in my Shoei, but had originally tried on an XL on in the Icon and NO WAY! At first when I tried to get this one (2X) on, I could hardly get it over my head. Once I did, it was really snug, but not uncomfortable. Now that I have worn it a few times, here is what I'm finding.......

THE BAD......

The liner is rather hard and thin
There is no rubber seal on the visor opening
The visor is more cheaply made (thinner) than better brands
The ventilation system is not anywhere NEAR that of the X11 (but is comparable to maybe an HJC Paradox)

THE GOOD......

Competitive price $170.00
Cool graphics
Great local parts availability
Rreplacement parts (especially visors) are MUCH cheaper than Shoei and comparable to HJC (not sure about other brands)
Removable/washable liner
Quick release visor replacement system
Fairly low wind noise at-speed

Overall, it's a pretty good first, backup, replacement or just budget-conscious helmet. If I didn't have my X11, I'd rock this thing every day. For the money, I think the Alliance SSR model is a good choice. If you're on a $$$$$$$ budget, go Shoei, Arai or Suomy, but if your budget is $, you can't go wrong with the Icon.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #33
v4lu3s

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

thanks for the follow up, great info to share!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #34
Kawi Kel
B.S.

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR-600

have you seen the new 2009 rockhard hustler helmet? ...me likey!!!
Kawi Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #35
Spectre5922
Grumpy old fart

Bike(s):
'92 GSXR 750

I haven't seen the 2009, but I've seen the 2008 at Cycle Gear. They weren't bad at all. I also just saw the 2009 Shoei RF1000 and X11 with the holograms in them.............SUUUUWWWWEEEEEEETTTTT!

Advertisement