MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM   #21
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

a dremel will cut through it. but i'd use my chain breaker.

i'd cut the top side before it runs through the countershaft.

then remove chain, and maybe take a punch and hammer and knock the bottle necked portion out.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice DavidGsXr General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 04-07-2012 03:24 AM
Please help all mechanicly inclined!!!!! camaroz2866 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 06-27-2009 11:37 PM
Mechanicly inclined? Want to check out a bike for me? :-) Ulric General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-31-2008 06:47 PM
Need Some advice or help! HoustonGixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-28-2007 09:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

Dummies, Just put it in reverse and unwind it

I good size screwdriver, or cutting it out with cutoff wheel or chainbreaker
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #23
Radar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Dummies, Just put it in reverse and unwind it
That actually would be the first thing I would try - the higher the gear it is in the better the chance (5th would work better than 1st). Sit on it and try backing it up - try hard - if you have to, pull the clutch in - roll it back and while it's rolling pop the clutch as you bounce your weight down to keep the wheel from spinning. Of course for this to work the remaining part of the chain has to be over the rear sprocket - more the wrap the better - tape or tie the loose end of the chain as far around the sprocket as possible to hold it when you try it - DON'T TRY TO HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT IN PLACE WITH THEIR FINGERS!
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
That actually would be the first thing I would try - the higher the gear it is in the better the chance (5th would work better than 1st). Sit on it and try backing it up - try hard - if you have to, pull the clutch in - roll it back and while it's rolling pop the clutch as you bounce your weight down to keep the wheel from spinning. Of course for this to work the remaining part of the chain has to be over the rear sprocket - more the wrap the better - tape or tie the loose end of the chain as far around the sprocket as possible to hold it when you try it - DON'T TRY TO HAVE SOMEONE HOLD IT IN PLACE WITH THEIR FINGERS!
I think he tried that, but we'll try this first (just in case). Let me get it right, you are suggesting wrapping the "top" portion of the chain over the rear sprocket, zip tie that end to the sprocket to keep it in place and then roll the bike backwards? Wouldn't this work in neutral as opposed to in gear? I'm pretty sure this sucker is so tight that it won't budge, but we will try this first. Seems logical.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM   #25
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

i'm thinking it will probably be too tight to try backing it out. regardless, i'd do it in neutral so the countershaft sprocket will rotate freely.

but i'd try to free that budged portion first with a hammer. knocking it forward
Old 11-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #26
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
level5
moving chicane

I would first put the chain on the back wheel and roll it backward hard and fast. If that doesn't work, I would try to remove the front sprocket by just removing that c clips. If those two doesn't work, no grinder is gonna help because if you grind the pin on one side, it is very difficult to put a tool to push the link off or removing the pin/link from the inside.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:29 PM   #29
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
just drive to houston and buy me a 6 pack and it will be off in 5 min..
I'm capable of doing this, maybe not in 5 minutes, but I'll handle it. I just wanted to see what suggestions were gonna get thrown out. I bought a grinder, but I have a feeling it won't work. Just not enough room to really get in there there with a 4" disc., I already put it up to my bike and I'm pretty sure it's too tight. I'll probably do it over the course of a 12 pack while watching the A&M periodically. I'm capable, I just want it to be the most efficient process.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #30
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Danny when are you leaving? Maybe you can swing by here and we can give it a shot.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM   #31
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

You can't pry a large screwdriver in a link against the swingarm pivot? I'd work it out a little at a time.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #32
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I think he tried that, but we'll try this first (just in case). Let me get it right, you are suggesting wrapping the "top" portion of the chain over the rear sprocket, zip tie that end to the sprocket to keep it in place and then roll the bike backwards? Wouldn't this work in neutral as opposed to in gear? I'm pretty sure this sucker is so tight that it won't budge, but we will try this first. Seems logical.
You are right about the way I invisioned connecting the chain to the rear sprocket for this attempt. You are also right that it doesn't need to be in gear - my mistake. If it is stuck in gear and you can't get it out because of the jam - you would be better off pulling in the clutch when you try this - you could also have someone stand in front and grab the handlebars while you are sitting on it and the other person (hopefully big / heavy / and strong) can help you in your effort to roll it backwards - good luck.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:47 AM   #33
Myrdok
Dude No Longer With a POS

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
02 Suz Katana 750 (Sold)
09 CBR600rr

get that diamond wheel for it and u will be through that chain in a jiffy

She's had 5 kids. You could pound a summer sausage in there with a Peterbilt and still have room to parallel park a Jetta. I'm pretty sure knocking on the tradesman's entrance isn't going to get you sent to the penalty box.
Myrdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:21 AM   #34
Bzl

try putting the top part of the chain on the rear sprocket and try to leave as much slack as possible and while on neutral push back as hard as possible, you might need some weight on the bike. you might also wana try the bottom portion of the chain also and keep it on the sprocket with zip ties or something and push forward. Remember to leave slack.
Bzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #35
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #36
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

thanks for the suggestion guys...Unfortunately, the bike is up here in DFW. I just put a 4" grinder up to my bike (I have a 97 and his is a 98...essentially the same bike) and it seems too tight. We're gonna give the whole unwinding thing a try and if that doesn't work we'll end up working it out piece by piece with a dremel/pry bar. I brought a whole kit (40 cut off wheels), so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks again guys
Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #37
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

chain breaker fool!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #38
kstrs
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

Bike(s):
Some

Click image for larger version

Name:	judd%27s%20messa.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	17017

Danny, remove the cs sprocket guard & use your dremel on the chain rivet at point a (or a chainbreaker if you have enough room), take a long heavy punch & drive the chain out at points b & c...Chain tension is against the plastic chainguide (around the swingarm) which will give enough to allow slack; The chain is roached... Get physical with it.
kstrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #39
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstrs View Post
Attachment 17017

Danny, remove the cs sprocket guard & use your dremel on the chain rivet at point a (or a chainbreaker if you have enough room), take a long heavy punch & drive the chain out at points b & c...Chain tension is against the plastic chainguide (around the swingarm) which will give enough to allow slack; The chain is roached... Get physical with it.
thanks dude, we'll take that route if the unwinding doesn't work.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #40
meadorracing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600 (football pot track bike)
'07 SV650 track bike
'06 SV650 track bike (soon to be converted back to street trim w/'09 bodywork)
KX-85 mini motard

Remove your swing arm and it will fall out.... There is never a bad time to inspect your needle bearings and linkage and apply fresh grease anyways. If you get to physical you risk knocking a hole in the case and/or up the counter shaft. Removing the swing arm on a dirt scooter is as easy as changing the tire.
meadorracing is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement