MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #1
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

trackheads , and knee draggers question

ive been watching some videos online and came across a few mcn vids about the proper lean angles , but after watching a few vids of peeps track days it seems that you guys lean diff than this guys is stating, if im understanding correctly, hes sayin "lean the top half off and keep your end on the bike", but what it seems i see in most vids is bottom half on the bike and head seems to be inline with the gas tank. i was trying to get a feel for diff body positioning this past week, and when i did the top half off the side the bike felt extremely unstable , but when i did what i was used to doing i felt fine just had to get down lower is all, i know i need some track exp, but just looking for some opinions is all and watch this vid tell me what you guys think thanks

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
knee down cbrwayne General Discussion (Moto Related) 515 04-06-2011 05:47 PM
question for all you knee draggers... triumphant675r General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 09-27-2010 02:48 PM
So I got a knee down Versatile337 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 05-03-2010 01:27 PM
Trackheads.... Mr. Unassailable Off Topic 53 05-06-2007 03:24 PM
Alright Trackheads.. who was it? Mr. Unassailable General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-28-2007 05:16 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Dr Gonzo spent some time speaking with me and helping me understand stragety w my problems w left corners(had surgeries on left ankle and couldnt push myself to corner left.)

To the right I can hang off the bike comfortably but as he mentioned... Im stretching to find the ground. By twisting your hips you can drop your center/chest over the side of the bike. A slide a little on the seat to the left but very little and ended up hitting the timing case cover while riding and dragging that knee and boot. Where as right hand corners I would knee down and let my knee come in as I came lower and lower.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

If you are referring to some of teh vids I posted, you gotta remember that those guys are novice riders, so yes, they are a lil twisted up and "swiveling" around teh tank.

I will let the guys, on MH, that know what they are talkin about tell ya about body posistion.

All I know, is that there only a few "no-no's" but ALOT of different body posistion styles and opinions, all of which, are acceptable and on a "what works best for me" kind of thing.

For example, I was told to put half my off the seat. But then told differently, by a SUPER FAST guy.

Last edited by cdill35; 11-23-2008 at 09:33 PM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

here...this guy is easier to understand. lol

cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM   #5
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
If you are referring to some of teh vids I posted, you gotta remember that those guys are novice riders, so yes, they are a lil twisted up and "swiveling" around teh tank.

I will let the guys, on MH, that know what they are talkin about tell ya about body posistion.

All I know, is that there only a few "no-no's" but ALOT of different body posistion styles and opinions, all of which, are acceptable and on a "what works best for me" kind of thing.

For example, I was told to put half my off the seat. But then told differently, by a SUPER FAST guy.
well my bike being a sport touring, sort of, when i do the top half off and when i come up the bikes rear starts to wobbles hard, vs when i use my bottom half to slide off and keep my tp half with the tank it seems alot more stable and i have control , is this a bike thing? when i had my old r6 i did the same thing but i can imagine using top half to hang off because of the bikes aggresive bbody positioning,
Old 11-23-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

[QUOTE=cdill35;1593189]here...this guy is easier to understand. lol

lol yeah kinda hard to understand wtf the guy was talkin about in the one i posted , something about crocks aand queen of england
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM   #7
bigpat728
fastest Flip on MH

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
'97 kawasaki ninja 250

Send a message via AIM to bigpat728
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
here...this guy is easier to understand. lol

man, i can't wait
bigpat728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Orion85

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 ZX-6R

When i lean into a corner I keep my spine parallel with the bike, moving both the top and bottom equally, just how I was taught and learned.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

It also depends on the speed in the corner. Tighter/slower corners opening the hips into the corner helps the bike turn, where as higher speed corners is not as much of an issue.

Everyone has a little different build and comfort level, we all don't bend as much the same way. Ideally you want you head and shoulders down even with the inside mirror. Don't get into the habit of pushing the bike down and trying to stay upright; bend the inside elbow and get the outside forearm and knee up against the side of the tank.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 11-24-2008 at 07:40 AM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Body position is a lot subjective. Some of the fastest riders EVER have unconventional/wrong/bad body position. If doing a certain thing with your body is uncomfortable and/or makes you feel unstable its wrong for you.....whether or not it fits the predetermined idea of what the "right" body position looks like really doesn't matter if attempting it makes you slower.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Bike(s):

Member Garage

alot of diff points of view, i was pretty much trying to compare techniques to what i do to what i hear to what i see other people do
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
alot of diff points of view, i was pretty much trying to compare techniques to what i do to what i hear to what i see other people do

Try some stuff people say. If it works use it, if it makes you uncomfortable don't. Too many people focus too much on getting a knee down as if thats the goal of riding a bike. Its a RESULT not a goal. The goal is being fast. I'd rather pass slow people with perfect body position (my body position is ) than look good going slow.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

I think the biggest issue is getting your weight completely onto the inside peg. This lowers your center of gravity on the bike and actually allows the bike to lean less and make more speed through a turn. Which is what you want. You want to lean over, not the bike. Getting the center of gravity closer to the inside of the turns allows for much more tire traction with less of an angle on the bike.

Advertisement