MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

MotoGP: The end for traction control??????

Quote:
MotoGP boss says it's time to review electronic aids

MOTOGP BOSS Carmelo Ezpeleta has said there may be a reduction of electronic riding aids in next year's MOtoGP series.
Many riders have called for a ban on the electtronic aids, as they believe it's dumbing down competition within the sport.
In an interview with Motosprint, Ezpeleta said:

"We need to get down to discuss it, as it's been done in every motor racing series. I've asked the manufacturers to look for a solution, to start talking, but we won't see anything in 2009. We'll need more time. However, regulating electronics will be the next step."

But even though the topic of electronic aids is high on Ezpeleta's list, the Dorna big-wig was firm that the championship was still a tough competiton to win:

"It must not be thought that Valentino won easily, he made incredible efforts and he won thanks to his genius. And he has shown his genius to the entire world, so this is a spectacle of the highest level. You only need to remember the Laguna Seca race...

"This was a season where Valentino's strategy counted a lot, and he won because he put Stoner under pressure. And if we add to this Pedrosa, who until mid-season was ahead, the level this year was extremely high. So the title for us has extraordinary value."
A bit contradictory but good to know that it may be on the drawing board
Lets get rid of it all inc. launch control
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bazzaz traction control computer box? houseofpaint Performance and Modifications 17 03-29-2009 01:57 PM
Guintoli sixth without traction control! Grinchy Taking it to the Track 3 07-15-2008 01:41 PM
Traction Control is now LEGAL in AMA racing ArturoC Taking it to the Track 9 07-17-2006 09:09 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
gixxerbill

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
A bit contradictory but good to know that it may be on the drawing board
Lets get rid of it all inc. launch control
Agreed. Put racing skill back in the racers hands not freak'n computers.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
maxgs

Member Garage

Couldn't agree more. No traction control, no anti-lock brakes, no launch control.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Yeah, I'm completely in agreement...

They can say that it's still a 'riders race' but look at Stoner's performance this year. The first half of the year he was good, but not like he was last year. Then he gets an updated electronics package right before Laguna and suddenly he's superhero rider again... clearly the electronics are VERY important.

As much as I like the 800s, I'd like to see them go back to 500cc two-strokes... those were the days when men were men and only the best in the world could ride those bikes fast! Look at Schumacher, he's good and all but when he can lap within 4 seconds of Stoner on his run EVER on a GP bike then you know somethings up.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

I say leave it.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I do miss the 500cc days where was scary to watch......

But lets not forget that not only are these electronics designed to lower lap times, they're also designed to protect the rider a little bit.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

The TC is there for "rider safety." If the general trend is to get rid of it, just watch out for them moving to a 600cc inline 4 in 2010.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

^^^^^^^ Nevermind. After doing some re-reading. I realize they are talking about replacing the 250 class with the 600cc in 2011. Seems I was confused.
There was some arguement about moving from the 990cc to the 800cc for rider safety, but the laptimes are still going down, thus the bikes are continuing to get faster. I will try to find that article.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
hotcknstrips
Bevo's royal guard.

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
09 Buell 1125CR

500cc two stroke is where the spectacle is at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Weird Lady
Mucus Membrane!
hotcknstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
The TC is there for "rider safety." If the general trend is to get rid of it, just watch out for them moving to a 600cc inline 4 in 2010.
I'm going to comment that the TC is more for making the tires last the entire race, than for riders safety. I believe you can find a few different articles and rider quotes about that on motogp.com or other news sites as well.

It makes sense to me, so it's my train of thought for the most part as well.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcknstrips View Post
500cc two stroke is where the spectacle is at!
definately the most difficult to master from everything i've read
too many riders getting hurt for my liking,
the original 990's offerred the best compromise IMO
Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I do miss the 500cc days where was scary to watch......

But lets not forget that not only are these electronics designed to lower lap times, they're also designed to protect the rider a little bit.
that is the positive thing that they bring to the sport
Old 11-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

I am sure there is a balance they can find between to much and to little of the electronics.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Random_Hero
Grand Optimist

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10R

, make them push start the things
Random_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #15
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
that is the positive thing that they bring to the sport

Indefinetely. Which makes it quite arguable that they should stay in the sport.

I think they should stay, but make the same electronics available to the satelite teams.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #16
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

...that would make it good old racing...would be nice to see it gone and compare after a couple years. We will see though. Usually what spectators want is no where near to what Dorna will actually do.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #17
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I think the single tire rule will really bring the racing closer. The TC & electronics package is certainly a factor, but pair that up with special tires per track/rider/bike, and the huge difference between Bridgestone & Michelin, and you have the type of racing we had in 2008. I think the 2009 season will be much more spectator friendly.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

I'll ask this. Are all electronic packages the same on MotoGp bikes? If they leave the TC and Launch Control, they should standardize it. IMHO That change, together with the standard tire rule, could make for a very competitive circumstance!
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
mathews

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2005 Hayabusa

Good luck policing it!Davis Technologies makes a traction control unit the size of a 9 volt battery.
mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #20
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerscasa View Post
I'll ask this. Are all electronic packages the same on MotoGp bikes? If they leave the TC and Launch Control, they should standardize it. IMHO That change, together with the standard tire rule, could make for a very competitive circumstance!
Quote:
MotoGP electronics insight
Electronics Industry news site, EETimes.com, has run an article on the use of electronics in MotoGP, featuring information gathered from interviews with technical personnel from three different MotoGP teams during July's US Grand Prix at Laguna Seca.

Those interviewed were EFI technician Andrea Dosoli (Kawasaki), data engineer Andrew Griffith (Yamaha) and crew chief Tom O'Kane (Suzuki). Unfortunately, there was no information for Honda and Ducati.

Here is a brief summary of the findings:

Kawasaki:

Kawasaki was using a 'half-and-half' fly-by-wire system - traditional throttle cables control half of the throttle bodies with electronic systems operating the other half. This was done to help rider feel.

Kawasaki was not yet using GPS to provide real-time location-based engine management (it is rumoured that Ducati, for example, already does) however the introduction of such a system was "fairly imminent". Location-based engine management allows the electronics to be tuned to suit each individual corner on a track.

There are about 50 sensors on the ZX-RR but the most important ones are those that measure acceleration, lean angle, front wheel speed, GPS speed and front-wheel suspension stroke.

The electronics identify a loss of rear wheel grip (potential highside) by comparing "front- and rear-wheel speeds with GPS-speed and engine rev-up".

Yamaha:

Yamaha was using a full fly-by-wire system. Throttle cables were still present, but existed only "to provide the rider [with] a conventional [throttle] feel" rather than to directly control the engine.

Yamaha used GPS for on-board data-tagging, but was also not yet using GPS to provide real-time location-based engine management, due to "the tenuous nature of GPS". However, Griffith admitted (with a smile) that the development of a position-based, real-time control system was "one possible direction" for the team.

Suzuki:

Suzuki, like Kawasaki, also uses a 'half-and-half' fly-by-wire system "to retain a conventional throttle feel and give the rider a strong sense of connection to the machine".
When discussing real-time location-based engine management, and the problem of accurately locating the motorcycle on the race track, O'Kane stated that "transponders around the track could be combined with time-distance interpolation to figure out bike location".

The ECU "counters fluctuations of the engine power curve to deliver linear and predictable response for maximum pilot confidence" but must also allow riders to get the limited amount of rear wheel sliding they need.
hope this helps

Advertisement