MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

thursdays article...

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...57863277.shtml

fridays...

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...58273311.shtml
Old 11-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #22
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

*note

Gears 'story' to the Police on scene is different than his story to the '911 dispatch'.

Despite gears claims that mough drive towards him and that he 'heard' the gravel crunching... polie found no tracks in the gravel.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...58914020.shtml

...saturdays ^

apparently some of Gear's relatives were put on the stand and parts of their story contradict Gears story. What keeps coming up too, is that the spent shells are missing.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #24
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
the biker should not have been taunting two girls in a car unless it was a hit and run that is the only reason why someone should be following another vehicle.
You might note the occasional repeated mentions of damage to the car consistent with impact the the footpeg of the m/c. No commentary in the case yet wether bike hit car or vice-versa.
...with this it's possible that mough was attempting to get information in regards to the car with intent to report to police.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #25
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

bad decisions all around - but here's the catch... a collision happened. At that point both should have stopped to share information - that's the law. So - someone ran off knowing they were at fault for the collision. Who? If the girls - maybe he was following them home to get their information... if him, maybe he was trying to obey the law by giving his information...

If somebody hits me, and runs, I'd certainly want to follow to get info.... but then there is the dad, with a gun... I'd run too!

I think the girls have the most responsibility for getting their dad believing they were in grave danger, and he over-reacted... and he knows he did wrong... sad.

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://onlineathens.com/stories/1124...59277009.shtml

today's ^, testimony from a neighbor...
Old 11-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #27
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...59887963.shtml

todays...

Gears wife's story 'changes' from story given during preliminary hearing...
and of interesting note from one of the daughters story...

"Chelsea Gear and the motorcyclist accelerated at the same time, she said, and when she made a left turn, her car struck Mough. His bike wobbled, crossed someone's front lawn then turned down a side street."

So they accelerated at the same time & speed.. uhuh so she deliberately turned left into him then?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...62331753.shtml

"Jury convicts Gear of murder"

"WATKINSVILLE - An Oconee County Superior Court jury convicted a Bogart man of murder and aggravated assault on Monday for shooting a motorcyclist in the back and killing him last winter.

Richard Harold “Ricky” Gear, was sentenced to life plus five years for malice murder, felony murder and aggravated assault in the Feb. 25 death of Bryan Joseph “B.J.” Mough of Winder.

Attorneys made closing arguments Monday morning in the two-week trial.

District Attorney Ken Mauldin argued that Gear acted with premeditation.

Though Gear’s daughters called their mother to say a man was following them on Atlanta Highway and collided with their car, Gear had time to dial 911 or make sure his relatives were safely in the house, Mauldin said. He also didn’t know that the man his daughters called about was driving a motorcycle, Mauldin said.

“(Gear) didn’t know that a motorcycle had anything to do with his daughters,” he said. “He didn’t know if (Mough) was someone who happened to turn down the wrong place at the wrong time.

“His first instinct was to shoot” before getting more information from his daughters Chelsea and Samantha Gear, Mauldin argued.

Gear fired his gun twice as Mough drove by, and a third time when the biker made a second pass from the other direction.

“This case was about a man who shot first, who shot last and shot in between, and didn’t ask questions before and didn’t ask questions later,” the prosecutor said.

Defense attorney Edward Tolley argued that Mough was the aggressor, and the motorcyclist could have continued straight on Atlanta Highway toward home, instead of following Gear’s daughters into Bogart.

Even after Gear fired two warning shots at the passing biker, Tolley argued, Mough turned around and drove straight at Gear, who jumped backward and fired a third time, killing Mough.

“The only reason we are here is because this man did not want to back down,” Tolley told jurors. “We are here because Bryan Mough did not know how to back down.”

Prosecution witnesses testified that bikers wearing a full helmet and face mask might not hear gunshots, especially over engine and wind noise.

Though Chelsea Gear admittedly made a vulgar hand gesture at Mough, Tolley argued that was irrelevant.

“I wish she hadn’t done it, but that’s not what this case is about,” the defense attorney said. “You have to know what Richard Gear knew at the time, not what Chelsea Gear did on the highway.”

Gear admitted Wednesday that he didn’t know that Mough was the man who had followed his daughters, telling jurors that “you would’ve had to have been there” to understand the feeling he had, which was “something I can’t put into words.”

Mauldin argued that the evidence didn’t fit a self-defense claim because, among other things, investigators determined that Mough’s motorcycle never drove onto Gear’s property.

“It was on the roadway, where it had every right to be,” he said.

The jury of nine women and three men began deliberating in mid-afternoon and came to a quick verdict."
Old 12-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #29
themutt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 Suzuki sv650sf (totaled!)

Send a message via AIM to themutt
He sounds guilty to me, all I can say is I hope he really is because he's going to be spending a lot of time in jail for shooting the kid!

My problem has never been with guns, but with the people who carry them. I know a bunch of idiots that throw around how they would shoot someone for doing this or that, but wow this guy seems like he really intended to shoot first and come up with a story later. All stupid BS and he said she said aside, it really is sad that another person had to lose their life over something so frivolous.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #30
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

they need to put him in the section they save for hells angels, banditos and mongols and let it be known he is in there for shooting a novice biker in the back.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 PM   #31
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrogenic View Post
bad decisions all around - but here's the catch... a collision happened. At that point both should have stopped to share information - that's the law. So - someone ran off knowing they were at fault for the collision. Who? If the girls - maybe he was following them home to get their information... if him, maybe he was trying to obey the law by giving his information...

If somebody hits me, and runs, I'd certainly want to follow to get info.... but then there is the dad, with a gun... I'd run too!

I think the girls have the most responsibility for getting their dad believing they were in grave danger, and he over-reacted... and he knows he did wrong... sad.
they should try the girls for hit and run and failure to exchange information.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 PM   #32
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/...59887963.shtml

todays...

Gears wife's story 'changes' from story given during preliminary hearing...
and of interesting note from one of the daughters story...

"Chelsea Gear and the motorcyclist accelerated at the same time, she said, and when she made a left turn, her car struck Mough. His bike wobbled, crossed someone's front lawn then turned down a side street."

So they accelerated at the same time & speed.. uhuh so she deliberately turned left into him then?

how does a guy get shot in the back when supposedly was in fear of being run down and fired in self defense? his bike must have had a reverse gear
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #33
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Gear admitted Wednesday that he didn’t know that Mough was the man who had followed his daughters, telling jurors that “you would’ve had to have been there” to understand the feeling he had, which was “something I can’t put into words.”

holy that guy is one dumb douche bag! Who the in their right mind shoots at the first person to drive down the street? At least they convicted him and served him a decent punishment.
I agree, the daughter's should be put on trial as well.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #34
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post

holy that guy is one dumb douche bag! Who the in their right mind shoots at the first person to drive down the street? At least they convicted him and served him a decent punishment.
I agree, the daughter's should be put on trial as well.

I have hopes that following this they go after the girls...

Now, Im curious does life and 5 years mean he hs to serve the full life sentence first before he can be up for parole, or is there a chance he can get out early?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #35
themutt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 Suzuki sv650sf (totaled!)

Send a message via AIM to themutt
I think the girls were being really dumb, but nothing worth more than their dad being in jail for life. I think the knowledge that their actions have played a part in what lead to the conviction of their father for murder is punishment plenty. Pretty sure they'll drive safer now...
Old 12-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #36
Gringo3825

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
06 GSXR 600 sold!!!!
09 Buell XB1200Scg

Yeah I think if I hit someone or they hit me I would follow their A$$ home too I would be . He needs to be put to death bottom line. In the back? but he was headed straight for him. How do you shoot someone in the back that is attacking you? Kill him!
Gringo3825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 AM   #37
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
i read somewhere that the street was a cul-de-sac? so if he was following them home to collect insurance information and give the girls a few choice words... and someone fires too warning shots as you drive by were they pull in... he then stops and looks back , because he knows he has to head out that way... i know for sure i wouldnt want to go back that direction....

plus the dad followed the guy down the street... and came back to the house after his wife had gone inside... gotten the keys... and backed the truck out of the parking spot and turned it around and saw her husband walking back into the driveway...

so he stepped off his property to shoot a Moto guy that was following his daughters... he is going to jail for awhile...

Advertisement