MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #41
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

I've done 1 trackday with my bike simply for the fact that I wanted to see what it would do. I learned quite a bit from that day, mainly that brakes work way better that you thought possible and that your tires will stick. I want to do some more track days but I am looking for a used R6 that I won't mind low siding (hope it never happens, but is always possible).

My bike is more on the genre of sport touring and in my opinion was built more for average road riding which I do 90% of the time. To me true sportbikes are just street legal versions of the ones you see on the races on sunday and are more at home on a track. I am practical and like the right bike for the job. I don't want to take my FZ back to the track because it is my daily rider (only missed 6 days this year taking it to work) and I almost lost it on the Diamond's Edge at MSR when I drug my foot peg. I would have to get a new pair of rear sets for that bike so I could lean more confidently. A sportbike is already set up for that. My last bike was a 92 CBR600F2 and I hated that bike. But if I would have been able to track it I may have liked it for that purpose. Just my thoughts.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So true.. Danurse General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 01-25-2013 10:42 AM
Is It True C.Hern5972 Taking it to the Track 61 10-13-2008 02:15 PM
A true example fidelitas88 Off Topic 15 07-18-2008 11:49 AM
Can't believe this is true... dhdrider Off Topic 7 08-11-2007 09:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM   #42
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
probably more fun on the street because i don't have to think as much about what i'm doing and i can relax.
You must not ride in Houston. I can't relax on a streetbike. Too many drivers. At least on the track, no one is going to cut me off on their cellphone in an F250. In Oklahoma (where I came from 2 months ago) street riding was a lot more fun....I only almost died once per ride as opposed to once per minute in Houston.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 AM   #43
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i do not have much desire to ride the track. Just doesn't appeal to me that much. I know I will end up going though, mostly to improve my riding skills. I ride a sportbike because I like the look and performance. I can't imagine riding the backroads on a cruiser, that just does not appeal to me. Most of the backroads riding I do is alone as well.

To me nothing beats going out alone, with no one else to think about and trying to find the most empty roads I can. Riding those roads, seeing the country side, going the speed limit in the straights and doing my best to slow down as little as possible for the curves. Its just me, my iPod and the bike with the wind and thats what makes me happy.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM   #44
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v4lu3s View Post
i do not have much desire to ride the track. Just doesn't appeal to me that much. I know I will end up going though, mostly to improve my riding skills. I ride a sportbike because I like the look and performance. I can't imagine riding the backroads on a cruiser, that just does not appeal to me. Most of the backroads riding I do is alone as well.

To me nothing beats going out alone, with no one else to think about and trying to find the most empty roads I can. Riding those roads, seeing the country side, going the speed limit in the straights and doing my best to slow down as little as possible for the curves. Its just me, my iPod and the bike with the wind and thats what makes me happy.
You know, that's what it's all about. Just as long as you are enjoying what you are doing. Different people have different personalities and tastes. Some like the track and others just going low and slow on a cruiser. I would not tell anyone "If you don't ride the track then your not riding."
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #45
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Trackdays: 2

not everyone knows about "the track". i didnt until i joined MH.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM   #46
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #47
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
anytime i say "i'm going to the track" to someone, they always ask me "dog or horse?"
Old 11-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #48
GsxrRcr369

Bike(s):
2014 CRF 50 (#1)
2014 CRF 50 (#2)
Schwinn XS Pro Modified 2

I have never been to a track day. Been down the drag strip a number of times but thats the only track I have been on. Would like to do a Track day at least once just for the learning experience if nothing else. I think the biggest reason I havn't done one is because I dont wanna spend the money to do it. Only cost me $20 plus gas to run all night at the drag strip, and my chances of bustin my are a lot slimmer.
GsxrRcr369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #49
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
although there are always circumstances that can result in a wreck that isn't so much your fault.....just to keep that in mind
Random does happen. I know of a guy that lost is oil filter on his first trackday resulting in a crash.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #50
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
Me either.

I bought a bike cuz I thought it was kool, never thought I would be looking into racebikes
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #51
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I am happy to be a part of the 5%.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #52
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
I heard a rumor that less than 5% of sportbike owners take their bike on the track, that means over 95% of riders that own sportbikes have not been on the track! That just seems lame to me.

Now I don't know if this includes sport-touring bikes, they just said sportbike.

Why would someone buy a bike, with race-like ergonomics and chassis and that IMO is the most uncomfortable motorcycle out there, if there not going to use all of it and see what their bike can actually do. Now stunters and drag-racers obviously use a sportbike in a different but great way and I would say need the power and torque that a sportbike comes stock with. You can get a feel for how your bike corners and how fast your bike can go by going out to some deserted twistie backroads, but you can really never get full lean and ride 100%, IMO.

It took me 3 years of riding to put my bike on the track, and it changed my entire perspective on sportbikes. You learn a lot about your bike on the track, what you like about it and what you don't.

I guess my point here is.....learn wheelies or get you azz to the track! lol jk jk

You already know the answer to your questions. It took you 3 years to realized that you have a racing machine that normally cost hundreds of thousands in developement 10yrs ago for around $10k. So what did you do in those 3 yrs with the race replica bike? Did you stunt it? Drag it? Or, simply pose it?

Welcome to the other side my friend. Spread the knowledge.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #53
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
You already know the answer to your questions. It took you 3 years to realized that you have a racing machine that normally cost hundreds of thousands in developement 10yrs ago for around $10k. So what did you do in those 3 yrs with the race replica bike? Did you stunt it? Drag it? Or, simply pose it?

Welcome to the other side my friend. Spread the knowledge.
My first year I commuted, second year I rode with stunters and attempted to stunt, and after that I got into backroads and now I ride track and backroads.

I got a 50 and that's what I beat myself up on now lol
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #54
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
I have 3 track credits & used 2 already, ALL FREE. I corner work one day, ride another....so I don't spend a dime, except on gas, & track days use less gas then riding my bike ALL DAY
TD can be cheap, if you plan them right. Just have to keep an eye and ear out fo CW gigs. A whole bunch of people still don't know you can CW for a free TD, I have talked to TDjunkies and they didn't know you could do that.

So yeah I bet people think its rediculously expensive.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM   #55
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Can attest to the cost matter. I have never paid for a track day. This weekend will make 5. And even without paying to ride they still cost a good amount of money. Gas to get there, hotel, gas to ride, more frequent oil changes, brake and tire replacements, ect. Even with CWing...track days are still costly.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #56
Hooligan

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Can attest to the cost matter. I have never paid for a track day. This weekend will make 5. And even without paying to ride they still cost a good amount of money. Gas to get there, hotel, gas to ride, more frequent oil changes, brake and tire replacements, ect. Even with CWing...track days are still costly.
Hotel??

I would say once you start getting fast, it gets expensive.

But yeah, its cheaper riding the street. But you don't get to max your bike out.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #57
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Hotel??

I would say once you start getting fast, it gets expensive.

But yeah, its cheaper riding the street. But you don't get to max your bike out.
Fast or not. Still costly IMO.

Pretty much anything other than Cresson or MSRH you want to stay at a hotel. I have drove to TWS (Texas World Speedway) rode a day and drove back in the same day and it was miserable ride home.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:12 PM   #58
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Come stay with me foo!!
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #59
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I have drove to TWS (Texas World Speedway) rode a day and drove back in the same day and it was miserable ride home.
Brutal.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:22 PM   #60
Coast Rider
Arron Smith

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
kawaquakie

It seems that some people have the opinion that if you don't go to a track you can't max your bike out. Not true but the alternative isn't as safe as on the track where help involves friendly bikers versus angry cagers plus the police.

Hool im sure you have maxed your bike on the street. And im not talking only about speed.

Then again if your a real rider unlike most quasi real riders you put more than 3000 miles on your bike a year.

If you ride for real it is cheaper to go to the track because your bike gets a consistent beating and gets used to it versus Beating your bike sporadically
and your bike never gets used to it and that why people blow engines ect on new bikes.

In the multitude of counsel there is wisdom
But hey to each his/her own

Its your bike, your dime but remeber a lot of people have already ridden this path long before any of us got here and it would be wise to build off the foundation of others and avoid the same mistakes.

Hool is just a very caring . so...... Thanks hool for the tip
Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement