Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #41
ROADandTRACK
Senior Member
 
ROADandTRACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antone
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list









Somebody1010 - While those pad pins don't have to be wired. They REALLY REALLY REALLY should be.
__________________
Have a beer w/ FEAR.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot-wiring a bike... in an honest way ZX-Dominance Performance and Modifications 3 06-06-2013 03:42 PM
Help - Cutting wiring harness down for track bike 675Raisinator How To's and Q & A's 10 07-10-2012 10:18 PM
How many race in the CMRA? ivancuriel Taking it to the Track 21 08-29-2011 03:19 PM
Your first CMRA Race S.D.W. Taking it to the Track 6 11-12-2009 09:29 AM
Safety Wiring my Bike hotsauce General Discussion (Moto Related) 66 10-15-2008 08:32 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #42
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62
 
Somebody1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nacogdoches
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,756

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Somebody1010 - While those pad pins don't have to be wired. They REALLY REALLY REALLY should be.
Nah, check them each day before you ride or when you change tires and youll be alright. I doubt its going to go from tight to fall out in 6 laps when you make sure its tight.

Should i wire the bolts to the motor mount too or are those going to fall out too?
__________________
Toms Paint and Body
CCS EX # 62
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #43
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody1010 View Post
Nah, check them each day before you ride or when you change tires and youll be alright. I doubt its going to go from tight to fall out in 6 laps when you make sure its tight.

Should i wire the bolts to the motor mount too or are those going to fall out too?
Yeah, wire those. Wire them twice. Use lock washers, locking fasteners, and Loctite, too.

Like I told Dean, forget what the rule book says, wire everything if you want to 'cause it's all about safety. But when you factor in common sense, well, some things fall off the critical radar screen.

Those screws that hold the pads in, well, they do fall out now and again. (Some have non-threaded pins and cotter keys, though, and not just threaded pins; the cotter keyed versions are more prone to trouble.) I'd dab a little RTV on the tops of those screws and call them good as a logical compromise if you're really concerned about them.
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #44
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo
 
tomLSTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 6,798

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1






Member Garage





If you raced WERA, wiring those pins is mandatory.

While I understand your smug remark Jon, I can honestly answer yes, those pins have been known to "fall out" during a sprint race. Mainly I'm sure because folks DON'T check them before they roll out every time.

Personally, I wire mine. Just a bit of insurance that keeps the ground magnet away

For reference, "RoadandTrack" has been racing GSXR's just about since they were introduced. He knows a thing or 400 about the bike...
__________________
I am Tyler Durdin's bad attitude.
tomLSTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #45
ROADandTRACK
Senior Member
 
ROADandTRACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antone
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list









They CAN fall out in just a few turns.

But yea, you should leave them alone.
__________________
Have a beer w/ FEAR.

Last edited by ROADandTRACK; 11-17-2008 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Had to remove the part.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #46
ROADandTRACK
Senior Member
 
ROADandTRACK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Antone
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 666

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Too many to list









Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Those screws that hold the pads in, well, they do fall out now and again. (Some have non-threaded pins and cotter keys, though, and not just threaded pins; the cotter keyed versions are more prone to trouble.) I'd dab a little RTV on the tops of those screws and call them good as a logical compromise if you're really concerned about them.
Actually the screw in types are more likely. Because peeps forget to tighten them. Even if youy don't tighten them but safT wire them they wont fall out.

The clips are easily seen.
__________________
Have a beer w/ FEAR.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #47
ange062
Senior Member
 
ange062's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Heights (Downtown)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 389

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 ZX-6R race bike
'05 SV650 Street
CMRA Expert #826, #63 Team Supafly Mini-Endurance, #26 IDB Racing BB Endurance







Send a message via AIM to ange062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Somebody1010 - While those pad pins don't have to be wired. They REALLY REALLY REALLY should be.
Wiring them is a PITA though, most org's will accept some silicon RTV used as threadlock...
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM   #48
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADandTRACK View Post
Actually the screw in types are more likely. Because peeps forget to tighten them. Even if youy don't tighten them but safT wire them they wont fall out. The clips are easily seen.
Good point. I was assuming people would tighten them, but, hey, here we are.

What I've done before with these screw in kind is drill a 1/16" hole near the outside of the threaded hole, and run a loop of wire from one hole to the other. This assumes the theaded pins are recessed into the caliper, and most are. The pins can't back all the way out, and you can't install safety wire without the pins being roughly where they need to be.
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #49
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771
 
THE DEAN OF LEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,996

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike




Member Garage


I plan on doing a little here and a little there. Thanks Racer for getting me my sticker, I WILL GO FAST, AND NO I WONT CRASH!
__________________
tj
www.TRACK-JUNKIE.com
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:46 PM   #50
Somebody1010
CCS EX #62
 
Somebody1010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nacogdoches
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,756

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
04 Suzuki 600 (Track only) 04 Kawi KX 250




Member Garage





Send a message via AIM to Somebody1010 Send a message via Yahoo to Somebody1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
If you raced WERA, wiring those pins is mandatory.

While I understand your smug remark Jon, I can honestly answer yes, those pins have been known to "fall out" during a sprint race. Mainly I'm sure because folks DON'T check them before they roll out every time.

Personally, I wire mine. Just a bit of insurance that keeps the ground magnet away

For reference, "RoadandTrack" has been racing GSXR's just about since they were introduced. He knows a thing or 400 about the bike...
I was just being a smart , i understand that those are important. On my bike i have some RTV and Locktite on them and give them a good check when i go out. I sure would hate to lose front brakes any where that would be the worst feeling in the world.
__________________
Toms Paint and Body
CCS EX # 62
Somebody1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:19 PM   #51
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter
 
Racer997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)
Posts: 3,872


Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76






Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
I plan on doing a little here and a little there. Thanks Racer for getting me my sticker, I WILL GO FAST, AND NO I WONT CRASH!
I got your sticker, but it's still in my hands, my friend. You can have it when you wire that oil filter.
__________________
Supplying avatars to MH track guys since 2008.
Racer997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #52
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771
 
THE DEAN OF LEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,996

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
I got your sticker, but it's still in my hands, my friend. You can have it when you wire that oil filter.
yeah! LOL I am picking that up as soon as I finish riding the clock!

UPDATE Suspension will be here next week. I am shopping prices for the install. Also need to switch both bikes to *GP*. It's going to be a great offseason.
__________________
tj
www.TRACK-JUNKIE.com
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #53
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor
 
SCRC John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Magnolia, Tx
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,747

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+






Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
yeah! LOL I am picking that up as soon as I finish riding the clock!

UPDATE Suspension will be here next week. I am shopping prices for the install. Also need to switch both bikes to *GP*. It's going to be a great offseason.
When shopping for install, please don't skimp. Install and tuning is the most important facet of your suspension. I'm glad you got the hardware, it will be deemed if it is installed wrong or tuned incorrectly.

Just food for thought.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #54
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771
 
THE DEAN OF LEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,996

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike




Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Just food for thought.
mmmmmm. The food was delicious John!
__________________
tj
www.TRACK-JUNKIE.com
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy