MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

converting from a traditional handlebar to clipons

so i found a great deal on a set of used clipons for the sv on ebay
i placed a bid on them as well as a top triple tree for the s model. should there be anything else i would need for the converion?
i think not, but i dont know.
i might also do something for the forks since i'd have to get into that mess. (i dont know what i'm doing) maybe an oil change and maybe some new springs? maybe a local could help me out with that if they have nothing better to do. this is all hypothetical at this point, but maybe mh could steer me in the right direction.

btw, i'm not doing a full on s model converion, just the bars
also, i found an s model clutch for $45! i'm not messing with that stuff though, yeesh- scary
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
traditional archery Grimace Off Topic 37 07-04-2010 11:14 AM
gopro vid converting mekrew General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 03-23-2009 05:41 PM
non-traditional profanity Chubby Racer Off Topic 17 11-04-2008 04:15 PM
Converting to 'outside' cat. Slowkat Off Topic 19 09-06-2007 05:28 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

bump, anyone?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
there be anything else i would need for the converion?
Nope. Just the right tools and stands to take the front end off and remove the special bolts from your ignition switch assembly.
Quote:

i might also do something for the forks since i'd have to get into that mess.
SV front ends will always benefit from springs and emulators. Take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and have them do that after you pull the forks out of the triple clamps.
Quote:
also, i found an s model clutch for $45! i'm not messing with that stuff though,
Clutches are easy to replace, I'm baffled though, why would you get a clutch just because it's from and "S" model? It's the same clutch you have in your "N" model
Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

3 reasons, i thought the s had a better clutch (guess not), i learned how to ride on this bike, and previous owner was a stuntuh in training... who also learned on this bike. so the clutch probably would benefit from being replaced. i dunno.

so i'm paying for the clipons now. anyone around conroe or montgomery want to help me put em on? i dont have a front stand, but could probably hang the bike from my parent's carport rafters with tow straps or something- i dont really trust my ideas though, lol. i'd really like some help from someone who knows what they are doing though
Old 11-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

actually, i might not do this. i just got an offer to trade my bike for a 1st gen miata with an extra engine and extra set of wheels with good rubber.

i love miatas and this is about to be considered pretty hard. im going to hold off on paying for these clipons until after i pass judgement on this miata.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

and i know how dumb it must be to mod my bike while i'm trying to sell it, even though it is my half assed attempt
Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

bah, screw that miata. clipons ahead!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
bah, screw that miata. clipons ahead!
you made a good choice

i have vortex clip ons on my bike and when i wrecked at TWS (Texas World Speedway) last August it made replacing the bars super easy. the triple tree clamp didnt have to come off. and the replcement bars are like 35-40 bucks shipped.
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

You don't have to hang the bike to remove the top triple clamp and install the clip-ons. You only need to do that if you're removing the forks and sending them to be serviced
Old 11-12-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

cool, so i shouldnt need a stand then?

i think im going to need some help on this one.

also, blah, i thought today was payday (wtf its not? oh noes!) so i cant get them! !
i sent the seller a message asking if he could hold onto them for me, and explaining i thought it was payday today and all that, but he hasnt responded. man, i dont want to let these clipons get away.
$70 for both clipons and the top triple tree seems like a pretty great deal, right?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM   #11
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

ok, i didnt think i was going to go through with this mod, because i hadnt paid for it and suddenly had to replace my rear tire. bah, i went ahead and got it just now and should receive it in a few days. can anyone with an sv650s or naked with stock clipons post a pic of how it should be?
im still not very clear on how it all goes together. lol, i might wind up taking it to Motorcycles Unlimited.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
ok, i didnt think i was going to go through with this mod, because i hadnt paid for it and suddenly had to replace my rear tire. bah, i went ahead and got it just now and should receive it in a few days. can anyone with an sv650s or naked with stock clipons post a pic of how it should be?
im still not very clear on how it all goes together. lol, i might wind up taking it to Motorcycles Unlimited.
It's very simple.

Loosen the fork pinch bolts at the top of each fork leg, remove all switch pods, brake master cylinder and clutch perch, remove the stem nut and any washers. Once you do that, you can gently tap the upper triple clamp from under it to loosen it from the forks and stem. You'll need to remove the clutch side grip too, simply pull it up some (or carefully lift it with a blunt object like a phillips screw driver) and get some water in between the bar and the grip- work the water in by twisting the grip as much as you can and it will eventually come loose.

As soon as it's all loose, you need a torx (can't remember the size) to un-bolt the ignition tumbler assembly.

Now, all you have to do is bolt the clip-ons to the new top triple clamp, install the ignition switch assembly/ brake master cylinder/ clutch perch/ switch pods/ grips, manipulate the top triple so that the forks and stem line up (it may take some push/ pull of the forks to maneuver all 3 in to position) and gently tap the triple down on to the stem/ forks until it's seated. I use a Dead Blow hammer for such things, YMMV. Tighten the stem nut and torque to spec (consult your factory service manual), tighten the pinch bolts on the fork tops after you verify that the top triple clamp is seated properly, and you should be good to go

Or you could take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and let them worry about all that!
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 AM   #13
klassik

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

i got some vortex clip ons from when i converted the bandit to clips they are 43mm ill sell the whole set up for 60 bucks you pick up pm if interested
Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

aw snap. i wish i had seen that before i paid
if the seller decides not to sell or whatever, i'll be buying yours.
it was a pretty long time, like 3 weeks, since i won the auction to the time i paid.

my current grips are , i have another pair to put on, so the grips are no problem
Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
klassik

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
rnz450

just send me a pm they should bolt rught onto your forks. i think we share the same tube size. but not anymore cause i put inverted on my bandit. so i dont need them anymore.

Advertisement