MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Go ahead and laugh

Had the rear sprocket changed from the stock on my ninja 250. I road to san antonio and noticed a drop in torque, but the RPM's were lower on the ride sine it was all level or mostly downhill.

Wow. What a weekend... how about this for a list.

1. My riding partner that I called to setup a ride with (one of my groomsman for goodness sake!) stayed at work too late and passed on the ride I had planned on for weeks, and he had agreed to for over a week. Went by myself
2. Took the wrong way on 337 so I only experienced 1/4 of the Sisters, got lost and ended up at the highway back to i10. Very very sad. It was getting later, so I didn't have time to back track 30min-1 hour because of a wrong turn. I took the directions backward and took ONE wrong turn and it messed it up.
3. Nearly dropped my bike 2 times that weekend with really really stupid little stuff... doing a u turn and went the front wheel touched slightly on the grass edge it slipped. I saved it and the other time but geez... not too smooth.

4. The dropped gearing was embarrassing. I lost ANY torque that I normally had. You know the two fiddy isn't up on the power department, but despite all that, it does have a get up and go. When you hit that power band it will scream and if a competent rider is on it on tight twisty roads it will keep up, and is very light. Well.... I had trouble passing the SLOW cruisers. Basically no torque... a even torque curve, even dropping 2 gears into 4 from 70 gave me no jump in anything but RPM. Holy Cow. I was screaming literally in my helmet on the interstate way home as a SMART CAR passed me hunched over on my tank. Literally I would hit 90 mph tops downhill, and up hill go down to 65-70mph. Dropped 2 gears only helped me stay around 70-80 with max effort. I rode the entire way with the throttle ALL THE WAY OPEN and a DPS trooper wouldn't even have looked at me funny. VERY VERY depressing. I want a Ninja 650 now, but the $$$ doesn't support yet. I'm getting the stock gearing back, since before the new sprocket, the ninja may not be quite as fast, but it definitely was passing 99% of traffic on the interstate before. It's depressing to be leaned into a corner with no real accelerative torque....
5. The temperature dropped quickly near San Antonio so i started shaking it was so bad. 1 hour or more at really cold temperatures with nothing but a t shirt and perforated leather don't work well.
6. Cruiser guys on the freeway passed me making fun of me hunched over, and pretended to be me hunched over, shook their head then set back up straight with their feet comfortablly sprawled out... AND I COULDN'T rev or smoke em and boggy. Would have been alright if I could've said, yeah, but I'm faster.... but really they were. LOL.

Good things
+ I did love the new stainless brake line with HH rated sintered pads. They ROCK compared to the stock on the 250.
+ I found that Tim Ellis @ Ellis Performance is a top notch mechanic and really cares about his customers. He even washed my bike as I was standing there since it had gotten dusty. It was fascinating for a newb like me to watch him troubleshoot a coolant leak. I can't recommend him enough. TOP NOTCH and what service up in Tomball! Tim rocks period.
+ I know now to REDO my map and directions... and bring along a GPS next time out in the middle of nowhere!
+ I'm open to a 650 now for highway... :-)

Last edited by specterunseen; 11-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Try Not To Laugh DvlRacer Off Topic 8 09-02-2010 06:21 PM
Go ahead, get yourself a laugh!! LunchBox Off Topic 6 12-30-2008 02:29 PM
go ahead...laugh part 2 ownage General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 08-11-2006 05:55 AM
go ahead.. laugh! schecterx General Discussion (Moto Related) 111 08-08-2006 03:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
JRxGRUBZx

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
O-six six durty six (r.i.p)
07 zx6r (rip)
o-five six durty six (rip)
01 f4i - yes yes im a trader .

bro ... sounds like a disaster
JRxGRUBZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

That's how my little 250 always rode; it was never faster. So I upgraded to a 650- WOW! What a difference! Don't wait. Sell that little 250 and buy a USED 650 for the same price. It's worth it.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

+10000 on Tim being da man!

I was thinking about changing out the gearing but in the end the trade of wasn't worth it me so I stick w/stock and can hang w/the big boys as long as they wait up
Old 11-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
+10000 on Tim being da man!

I was thinking about changing out the gearing but in the end the trade of wasn't worth it me so I stick w/stock and can hang w/the big boys as long as they wait up

I DON'T RECOMMEND the gearing change. The 250 is plenty to keep up with other riders that keep it just above the speed limit. I've ridden with 1000 cc's and kept up and they were semi aggressive. Its those long straight aways that they liked gunning it on that was the problem.

I love the 250! BUT the soul of that bike disappeared. It became a screamer with no substance.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #7
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

Really? So I could sell my 250 for $1900 (what I owe) and get a good quality sv650 for under $3k? That seems tough. I don't have the cash to pay, I have to finance right now... so you really think there are solid 650's out there for that price? I was thinking of waiting, saving up and getting one of the 09 Ninja 650's, i really like the seating position for my daily commute, and still has some . The new body style with 09's is sweet. Only thing they need to get rid of is that ugly banana seat.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

yeah I was going to try to get the RPMs lower, but then when I realized it took away from my top end I said NO!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

if you're gonna finance you'd be better off getting used that way IF you decide to sell you can recoup most of what you paid
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

hey specter, if you're looking for a 650 shoot badapple a pm. he's got a black 650r that he is thinking of selling (its clean too). what year is your 250?
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM   #11
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

2007 Ninja 250 13k miles (since Dec, all commuting miles)
-Stainless steel front brake
-brand new front sintered hh brake
-brand new back brake (kevlar or cermaic, since the back locks easy I kept it to a lesser strength)
-Valves just adjusted, carbs just cleaned
- Brand new rear Pirelli sport demon tire, front tire has 50-60% of life left.
-Brand new chain with master link rivet (stronger, did i spell that right?!? :-0).
- new o rings on the coolant system.
- Brand new sprockets.
- Brakes just recently bled and cleaned with new fluid. Oil changed, coolant changed out.
- Not YET, but thinking about adding dual Yoshi pipes.

It's in nice shape, 2 different areas with slight body work damage from the previous owner (had it for 500 miles and messed it up a little), but nothing I haven't lived with! It's not too bad.

Black 650r? Do you know asking price, and if any mods (exhaust etc) has been done.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

btw: i already found his bike: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...50#post1510350

Pretty sweet ride. I like the muzzy's sound.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i am not sure i understand why people would change the rear sprocket to bring rpm down, what little power the 250 has is all top end!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:24 PM   #14
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

right. its too lower the rpms at highway speeds. Great for flatlander commuters. I'm heavy on the throttle and ride aggressive, so I wasn't aware that it would suck the soul out of the bike. Its mainly to prevent REALLY high rpms for high cruising. I cruise on the freeway way above what most other bikes do on my 250.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
switch
two fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
btw: i already found his bike: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...50#post1510350

Pretty sweet ride. I like the muzzy's sound.
that muzzy is loud. shoot him a pm, i'm sure arranging for you to take a look at it wouldn't be a problem. as far as price i don't remember what he was asking.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
We all saw Wild Hogs and know there is more to laugh at the Harleys.

Nevertheless, sounds like an interesting trip.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #17
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Bike(s):

lol
Old 11-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #18
vito_8989
Stranger Danger

I went to San Antonio this weekend too, but it was in a car and I went at the last minute at 11pm Friday night. Guess I didn't see you there.
vito_8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
switch
two fifty

i went to austin.....in mah cage
CMRA #250
Old 12-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #20
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by specterunseen View Post
right. its too lower the rpms at highway speeds. Great for flatlander commuters. I'm heavy on the throttle and ride aggressive, so I wasn't aware that it would suck the soul out of the bike. Its mainly to prevent REALLY high rpms for high cruising. I cruise on the freeway way above what most other bikes do on my 250.
dude, you are freaking crazy huh? if you dropped the size of the rear sprocket, you get more top end speed, what did you get, another 4-5 mph maybe? not much with what you're working with. if you did it to drop rpm's, i don't know what the to tell you.

[QUOTE]I rode the entire way with the throttle ALL THE WAY OPEN /QUOTE]
this can not be healthy for that bike at all, that should be a no no for you on a 250. if you're looking to go faster than 100 or so, you def. need a different bike b/c you aren't going to do anything to get much more than that out of that beast.
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement