Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
Jerran V

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

Tire Compound with cooler temps?

First, thanks for input from those with experience...

I have an '06 GSXR1k. Been running BT003s Med front, Hard rear. I'm about to order some more and I was hoping for some input...

Should I continue with the same compounds or should I go softer because it's cooler?

If I go softer, will they wear out quicker even though it's colder or do softer compounds last longer in cooler temps?

My tires have been lasting about 3-4 trackdays with the rear wearing out quicker...

Again, thanks for any input
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pirelli pro comp tire pressures / temps rz500guy Taking it to the Track 0 03-01-2015 05:16 PM
MICHELIN POWER SUPER SPORT DUAL-COMPOUND TRACK TIRE REAR 180/55ZR-17 $179.99! Patrick Motorcycles Unlimited 0 11-09-2013 12:36 PM
Bridgestone track temp / tire compound recommendations maxgs Taking it to the Track 8 11-30-2009 01:12 PM
Would it be silly to put a multiple compound tire on a busa? bullmoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 07-02-2008 08:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

John usually gives me softer compounds when the tracks are colder. Send him a PM and ask what he recommends, but generally, I don't think the compounds change for Texas tracks until you get to the 50* and lower. Usually, we stick with pretty consistent compounds until it gets in to the 50's and lower.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

When it gets cooler the softer tires will last about as long as the harder tires when it is hot. I'd run a medium front & medium rear; until it gets downright cold (below 50deg F) then swap to a soft front. That medium rear should not be a problem until the track temps go below 60 deg.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
level5
moving chicane

if the temp was 60 and below, I would want to run super soft front and soft rear. If the temp is 60-70 I would run it soft/medium, 70-80 medium/medium, 80-90 medium/hard, 100+ degrees, now, that's too hot to ride with leathers. It also depends on track surface temp and how hard/fast you ride to maintain the tires temp. You could take it off the warmer and putt around and it will lose it's heat cycle.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I don't putt...i was thinking of going to a softer front just because it looks less worn than the rear. Are softer compounds used just because its easier to keep heat in them at lower temps? or because they wear more evenly and last longer?
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
SCRC John

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
I don't putt...i was thinking of going to a softer front just because it looks less worn than the rear. Are softer compounds used just because its easier to keep heat in them at lower temps? or because they wear more evenly and last longer?
All of the different compounds work in about the same temp range. Were the difference is, is the way the tire builds heat and maintains that heat. The softer tires build heat easier & quicker. For example, if it is 50 deg outside, Someone riding 2:10 laps at TWS (Texas World Speedway) will never get a hard tire up to temp. Even with warmers, the tires will actually cool off some on the track. Thus the rider will not get a solid feeling from the tire, and will not be able to gain much speed if any. That same rider on a soft compound will be able to get the tire "working" (up to temp) even at his slower pace. The tire will give the rider much more confidence, thus helping the rider improve.

This scenario continues until they start to run through tires too fast. They then move up to mediums and then on to hard compounds. Now this is for trackday riders. Now there are other factors to consider, like temp, track surface & bike setup, but in general that is a good way to look at tire compounds.

Now in racing it can be a little different depending on the racers goals and pace. Someone like Derek Wagnon that is running up front in the CMRA expert classes may choose to run a soft front & rear to get a small advantage in a certain race. Depending on the track and tempurature it may only last 1 or 2 races, but typically a more experienced rider can milk as much as a 1 second out of the softer tires. There is a balance between grip & durability that is always considered. Typically Derek runs a soft front & medium rear and gets a couple of races and a couple of trackdays out of a set. He always runs one front all weekend and just swaps rears as needed.

John
Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Wow I was wondering the same thing. Great info John.
So can you overcook a new soft compond tire if you run a really fast pace? I guess from what your saying you eventually will wear out a soft compond quicker then a medium with a fast pace and they work better for slower folks at a slow pace.
With that said would I benifit from a soft compond front when I run track days in say Feb and March when it's still pretty cool outside running a 1:49-1:50 pace at MSRH? I generally get quicker every track day I go to right now with only doing 1 sometimes 2 track days a month so my quickest 1:49 laps will probably drop. I currently run BT-003 mediums front and rear on my GSXR-1000 and they freaken rock! Just a note I seem to be getting really good tire wear out of them with the rear wearing faster then the front. I've had 3 track days on them so far and they look good for 1 or 2 more tread wise, but maybe not heat cycle wise, but they aren't sliding on me yet. Actually I notice the more I throw at them they just laugh at me as if to say it's about time. lol
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
SCRC John

Member Garage

Certainly as temps cool, I'd consider running a soft front. It will get a little hotter, thus improving grip and feel.

I'm glad your liking the 003's
Old 11-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

alright cool. Thanks. I'll try the softs then come Feb. so I'll hit you up later. Yeah what I noticed the last trackday at MSRH I guess since it was a little cooler in the morning time to get the recommended 31-32 hot front and 29-30 hot rear off the track I had to set my temps to 31 front 29 rear off warmers at my pace instead of 30 front 27 rear that I had been running with success on warmer days at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Which my slowest consistant laps that day at MSRH were 1:52 in the morning and my fastest consistant laps the last two sessions before lunch was 1:49-1:50. That was my expierence with the mediums at my pace on a cooler morning. Just giving you a little feedback from the slower track guys like me.
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement