MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
here's my take, as i was in your position before.

life is about giving and taking. the more you give the less you take is how it's been goin for me. what you take from life and what you give of your life sticks with you forever......life experiences is what it's all about.

we can't tell you what you need or what you should do, because it's your life. also remember, you only have ONE! how can you make someone else happy, if you are not happy yourself? marriages aren't cheap, neither are divorces.....so make a wise decision.

i'm not gonna proof read what i just typed, and it probably sounded confusing, but in the end....you only have yourself and your own personal .

i made enough to pay my bills, do trackdays, do a few races and keep my ex-fiance up to par on her shopping (or hobby as she called it). i saved what i could towards getting a house, and paying for the wedding....but hit a slump at work and the savings went away fairly quick. THAT is when she wanted me to make a choice, give up SOME, not all, but SOME motorcycle time....and needless to say, i still have the motorcycle and gained a new life experience.

i enjoy riding the track, it's the only hobby i have, and i like to think i'm somewhat good at it. so lord willing, i'm gonna keep doin it, and keep improving myself til i am unable to ride....or til i lose the passion for it.

weigh your options....you don't have to give it ALL up, you can make slight adjustments to fit it all in. remember, trackdays aren't expensive as long as you budget. you can cornerwork half days, and ride the other halfs. so all you spend is gas and maintenance on your bike. but you will not be able to race, racing is an expensive hobby/sport/career.

at MINIMUM, you will spend money on tires, entry fees, bike maintenance, and fuel for the track, and fuel to get to the track.

one race weekend average...
tires - $400
entry fees (2 races) - $125
sat practice - $35 (2 sessions)
friday trackday - $150
fuel - $150

not even including if you crash or blow somethin up.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking a tire sponsor? CarbonJames Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 12-08-2014 04:31 PM
Apartment seeking advice kbexperience Off Topic 13 07-17-2014 12:35 PM
For Libertarians seeking someone to objectify Rael Off Topic 5 06-04-2011 05:29 PM
Seeking New Cruiser - Need Advice chadeaux General Discussion (Moto Related) 50 05-01-2009 10:56 AM
Seeking Employment Slvr04 Off Topic 4 11-07-2005 08:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #22
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
here's my take, as i was in your position before.

life is about giving and taking. the more you give the less you take is how it's been goin for me. what you take from life and what you give of your life sticks with you forever......life experiences is what it's all about.

we can't tell you what you need or what you should do, because it's your life. also remember, you only have ONE! how can you make someone else happy, if you are not happy yourself? marriages aren't cheap, neither are divorces.....so make a wise decision.

i'm not gonna proof read what i just typed, and it probably sounded confusing, but in the end....you only have yourself and your own personal .

i made enough to pay my bills, do trackdays, do a few races and keep my ex-fiance up to par on her shopping (or hobby as she called it). i saved what i could towards getting a house, and paying for the wedding....but hit a slump at work and the savings went away fairly quick. THAT is when she wanted me to make a choice, give up SOME, not all, but SOME motorcycle time....and needless to say, i still have the motorcycle and gained a new life experience.

i enjoy riding the track, it's the only hobby i have, and i like to think i'm somewhat good at it. so lord willing, i'm gonna keep doin it, and keep improving myself til i am unable to ride....or til i lose the passion for it.

weigh your options....you don't have to give it ALL up, you can make slight adjustments to fit it all in. remember, trackdays aren't expensive as long as you budget. you can cornerwork half days, and ride the other halfs. so all you spend is gas and maintenance on your bike. but you will not be able to race, racing is an expensive hobby/sport/career.

at MINIMUM, you will spend money on tires, entry fees, bike maintenance, and fuel for the track, and fuel to get to the track.

one race weekend average...
tires - $400
entry fees (2 races) - $125
sat practice - $35 (2 sessions)
friday trackday - $150
fuel - $150

not even including if you crash or blow somethin up.
Thanks, Tony.

You're like a motorcycle racing Obi-Won.

I guess both me and the lady to be, will just have to sit down and figure out what we both want to plan for in the next few years, and what we can afford together. Neither of us live a very expensive lifestyle. All we do is sit at home and watch tv, and go out every once in a while. Like yourself, my only hobby is trackdays.......interestingly enough......that's probably her only hobby to.

I feel like I'm stating the obvious, and all this is probably something I should already know. But I take both riding, and my future plans with the lady very seriously and I'm not looking to get into something well over my head, hence my search for enlightenment. I suppose sticking to trackdays for the time being would be the smartest option. That way I don't give up riding altogether.......and I don't have to donate a kidney to race every other month.

Maybe one or two races out of the year and a few trackdays in between will be feasible. A combined income will go a long way too I guess.

Hmm.....I guess it's just going to come down to how the numbers crunch out.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #23
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

TMGP FTW! It's like $200 a weekend, not $800. Skills all carry over. Safer. Just as much fun.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #24
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

hey dood. i live right around the corner. and i am looking forward to racing next year also. we can carpool to events.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

tmgp is fun also....but nothing beats gridding up alongside 30 big bikes and going in way over your head on the 1st turn.....thats why i like racing big bikes.

tmgp is more like get your out of my way (i'm fatter than you) or i'll run you over, if we crash we'll laugh and get back up and still run til our wheels fall off.

tmgp = loads of fun
bike bike racing = pure adrenaline

Old 11-07-2008, 04:37 PM   #26
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
hey dood. i live right around the corner. and i am looking forward to racing next year also. we can carpool to events.

Hmm, we'll see how many I can afford to do (if any) in conjunction with getting the bike race ready.

I'll let you know......splitting gas expenses would be nice.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #27
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Hmm, we'll see how many I can afford to do (if any) in conjunction with getting the bike race ready.

I'll let you know......splitting gas expenses would be nice.
fo sho. dont know how your wife feels about it. but mine would be down for sharing a hotel room. just dont get mad when i get my little 30 seconds of fun outa her before bed time.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #28
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Look this is really pretty simple. First off I've probably got more years behind me than most of you. I've also had two kids get married and have kids, and one on the verge. So giving this kind of advise is old hat for me.

First I don't like giving this kind of advise because people don't like to hear it.

If you are really serious about getting married and you don't already have you r finances in order and money saved up for the wedding and starting out a new life with the main responsibility of supporting another person/persons then you need to decide right now to give up one or the other.

If my daughter was getting ready to marry you and I saw your situation as you are describing (And I would!) I'd try talking her out of this situation as hard as I could. (My daughters and I have very good relationships so they'd probably listen.)

You need to decide which one you want most, playing and spending money you can't afford like a kid or stopping all your hobbies and what ever else unnecessary and start planning for the future.

Now look if you had an extremely good paying job (MaxG's) and could easily afford to be having all this fun and getting married and supporting your wife if that becomes necessary with out going into extreme debt when unexpected expenses pop up (and they will) then I'd say just moderate the track/race time, get married and have fun. But that ain't the case.
XRCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #29
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRCajun View Post
Look this is really pretty simple. First off I've probably got more years behind me than most of you. I've also had two kids get married and have kids, and one on the verge. So giving this kind of advise is old hat for me.

First I don't like giving this kind of advise because people don't like to hear it.

If you are really serious about getting married and you don't already have you r finances in order and money saved up for the wedding and starting out a new life with the main responsibility of supporting another person/persons then you need to decide right now to give up one or the other.

If my daughter was getting ready to marry you and I saw your situation as you are describing (And I would!) I'd try talking her out of this situation as hard as I could. (My daughters and I have very good relationships so they'd probably listen.)

You need to decide which one you want most, playing and spending money you can't afford like a kid or stopping all your hobbies and what ever else unnecessary and start planning for the future.

Now look if you had an extremely good paying job (MaxG's) and could easily afford to be having all this fun and getting married and supporting your wife if that becomes necessary with out going into extreme debt when unexpected expenses pop up (and they will) then I'd say just moderate the track/race time, get married and have fun. But that ain't the case.
Direct.....and to the point. The other side of the coin I was looking for.

I've been arguing that very same point with myself for sometime now. I just keep trying to feel like there is a way I can do both.

Some number crunching and serious thoughts are needed. Thanks......
Old 11-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #30
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):
2001 Honda XR650R Track Motard (sold), 2006 Honda 919, 2007 Honda CBR600RR(sold)

Quote:
Direct.....and to the point. The other side of the coin I was looking for.

I've been arguing that very same point with myself for sometime now. I just keep trying to feel like there is a way I can do both.

Some number crunching and serious thoughts are needed. Thanks......
Man Roadrace the number crunching isn't necessary! If you don't already have enough money saved up to pay for a wedding then it's probably not going to happen with a hobby like racing. Now listen closely because most people in this day and time will not give you this advise. Do not depend on her income! That's not to say that she can't earn enough money or that she's not dependable or anything like that. But when it comes right down to the nitty gritty you are the man and you've got to be able to carry on if something happens to her (like pregnancy) or what ever. It is your responsibility. If you don't see it that way then my advise is don't get married yet. Money is the biggest issue leading to divorce! Don't start out that way even if you crunch the numbers and think you can squeak by.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #31
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Quote:
Man Roadrace the number crunching isn't necessary! If you don't already have enough money saved up to pay for a wedding then it's probably not going to happen with a hobby like racing. Now listen closely because most people in this day and time will not give you this advise. Do not depend on her income! That's not to say that she can't earn enough money or that she's not dependable or anything like that. But when it comes right down to the nitty gritty you are the man and you've got to be able to carry on if something happens to her (like pregnancy) or what ever. It is your responsibility. If you don't see it that way then my advise is don't get married yet. Money is the biggest issue leading to divorce! Don't start out that way even if you crunch the numbers and think you can squeak by.

Well said, sir. Well said.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #32
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
I'm a horrible person when it comes to the concept of "carpe diem". I unfortunately inherited a worry-wort mentality from my mother, when it comes to finances. Funny how she turned out to be a banker.

Anywho........I guess the both of us just need to sit down and put on paper what we would like to happen when we get married and what we both would like to do until then and if we can afford it.

I just keep invisioning club racing as some sort of money eating monster, especially when your bike doesn't have insurance.

Maybe a more respectable and mature decision, like what Tom said, would be to stick to trackdays. I just didn't think that there was much of a difference in expenses between the two.
it is NOT cheap. Crashing will cost you hundreds to thousands depends on severity of the crash.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM   #33
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I'm not a racer, but I will chime in just b/c I can see where you're coming from.
It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind but you want reassurance that you're making the right choice. Between racing and a wedding I would have to say the wedding wins since it's not something you plan to do yearly. Once you are married hopefully your new bride understands your passion will have no problem with you racing. Don't try to spread yourself too thin and do both if you can't comfortably do so b/c the last thing you want to do is go into a marriage w/money problems looming overhead. If you do then you're more likely to be a statistic If you two can sit down and make a sound budget that allows for both then great you can save up and race, but you better be sure she is 100% on board b/c IF she has to give up her centrepieces for a trackday then it's your buddy!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #34
XRCajun
Cool Senior Member

Bike(s):

Quote:
Well said, sir. Well said.
I'm sorry, I truly hate to be the barer of bad news. But the good news is, maybe your marriage will workout really well and you'll be happy with your wife and she'll be happy with you. Now let me tell you, with little money or a lot of money that's the life!
Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #35
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I'm sorry, I truly hate to be the barer of bad news. But the good news is, maybe your marriage will workout really well and you'll be happy with your wife and she'll be happy with you. Now let me tell you, with little money or a lot of money that's the life!
I can tell you that this is what it's all about
Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 PM   #36
houseofpaint

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
but you better be sure she is 100% on board b/c IF she has to give up her centrepieces for a trackday then it's your buddy!

Old 11-07-2008, 06:58 PM   #37
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

I can appreciate what Cajun said but...FVCK THAT!!! You never know what life will throw at you. People die everyday...lots of people, young and old. How many do you think look back and say "I sure am glad I have saved that $800..."? NONE...Life is about experiences and enjoying everyday because you never know when it's gone. What's the hurry to get married? You love each other, you're happy...if it ain't broke don't fix it. GO RACING!!!
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #38
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

ya'll are nuts as

don't pay to get married.
you can do that when you get un-married.
i hate to say it ...but you sound too practical to race much.
you better hurry up and act like a grown-up.
it's very important.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #39
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

now this kid is smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerran V View Post
I can appreciate what Cajun said but...FVCK THAT!!! You never know what life will throw at you. People die everyday...lots of people, young and old. How many do you think look back and say "I sure am glad I have saved that $800..."? NONE...Life is about experiences and enjoying everyday because you never know when it's gone. What's the hurry to get married? You love each other, you're happy...if it ain't broke don't fix it. GO RACING!!!

i don't know you, but you are on your way to a great life.
who here is guaranteed to live one more day, one more hour?
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #40
Jerran V

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

One of my favorite quotes (from my uncle) regarding marriage...

"Save yourself some time, just find a woman you can't stand and give her the keys to your house...it's quicker"
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement