MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Watch out for antennas

Hear them quite often but saw them in action for the first time yesterday.
Houston PD tactical traffic team. I started noticing a good number of cops on the freeway yesterday so I flipped on the scanner and switch over to the tac channel where they usually talk on. I hear Black F150 w/ camper top and look ahead and guess what I see...yep popo light em up on a Black F150 camper top. I looked around to see where the guy was that was calling things out and look over in the left lane and notice a Ford Taurus with two good size antennas on the trunk. Pull up a little further and what do ya know 2 HPD officers sitting in the front seat. Every so often they would pull off to the side of the road and watch and wait for some cars to come through and name off one after another for minor traffic violations. They are a good size pack cause I saw at least 3 marked units pulling people over myself although from the radio traffic I am sure there were more. I don't mind police when they protect us, but call me crazy but our tax dollars going to pay some cops to run around and take more of our money away for silly minor traffic violations such as 5 mph over the limit, tailgating, ect. Maybe they mean well and are trying to fix the traffic problems with Houston but it looks like a big money grab for the city to me.

Just thought I would give you guys the headsup, if your on Houston freeways watch out for cars with a bunch of antennas, they could be unmarked cops.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Watch for these Chuckster Off Topic 12 10-31-2013 10:24 AM
You better watch out!!! mjrauma General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 01-31-2013 02:15 PM
Got a new watch.... dbuck Off Topic 22 03-10-2010 09:01 AM
Watch this! GABRIEL Off Topic 11 07-18-2007 08:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Yamawhore

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2014 Z1000
2008 CBR600RR (sold)
2009 R6 (sold)
2009 R6 (wreck)
2007 R6 (sold)

Roger that.
Over and out.
Yamawhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

They never pull people over with money only the working man. At least that is what I think.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

good lookin out.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
PM's open temporarily.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

that's called "hear/say" i believe. and if you can prove that the cop that pulled you over and cited you wasnt the one that clocked you(radar, or witnessed your act IE, illegal lane change/unsafe driving/whathaveyou) then you can easily get it all dismissed. a cop cant write you a ticket for somethign another cop saw you do.

any of you police men care to verify that?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #6
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Unassailable View Post
that's called "hear/say" i believe. and if you can prove that the cop that pulled you over and cited you wasnt the one that clocked you(radar, or witnessed your act IE, illegal lane change/unsafe driving/whathaveyou) then you can easily get it all dismissed. a cop cant write you a ticket for somethign another cop saw you do.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Cops word is usually a cops word. I like how they "know" how fast someone was going without using radar or laser.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

I've had friends get off from that technicality
Old 11-07-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
FJRmgm

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

but call me crazy but our tax dollars going to pay some cops to run around and take more of our money away for silly minor traffic violations such as 5 mph over the limit, tailgating, ect.

I wish they would make their way over to the 610 loop east by the ship channel bridge and north of it to catch some of those crazy tail-gating bastards who come screaming up to within inches of your bumper all the while jumping from one lane to another.

Happens every morning - no matter how fast I am driving.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

Quote:

don't know if I'd rely on that - if they are cops doing the watching... now if it's a citizen reporting it I guess that would be another thing, but state troupers do that - one will radar, and others will pickup down the road.

seems pretty sneaky though

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ* View Post
I've had friends get off from that technicality
i have a close family member that is a cop. he told me about it. but that was in Fort Worth, didnt know about here. but i've always hear that hear-say doesnt hold up in court.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

If you ask the cop that pulls you over, he'll tell you that you were clocked by radar from another vehicle. You won't win this in Houston unless your lawyer is good.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
andre3k
I see dead people...

Its called STEP - Statewide traffic enforcement program

Fed kicks down money to the state who send it to the various depts based on tickets issued. This is so much bigger than HPD ladies.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
<E>

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
01 CBR929RR (For Sale)
05 Busa (For Sale)

i don't care if people speed on the freeway. the critical factor is the difference in speed among everyone. if everyone is doing 120, fine. but if some people are doing 50 while others are blowing past them doing 105, that's dangerous.

but tailgating is not good and people should get tickets for that. we all hate stop-n-go traffic. and tailgating is the main cause of it. it also increases the chance of an accident. while at the same time not really helping your situation.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:

You have two officers. One who actually saw the offense. Then the other writes the ticket. The officer issuing the citation must have the witnessing officers information written on the ticket, which is done after the violator receives his copy. That copy is forwarded to municipal courts just like all the other tickets. Violator goes to trial. Both officers much show, issuing officer and the witnessing officer. Either one doesn't show then the ticket is dismissed.

Officer still gets his OT if every single ticket is dismissed.

Lawyers are part of the game too. If officers dont write tickets then they dont get cases. So one officer may say to a traffic atty, "hey hold all my cases till 2 pm and we can work something out." Cases get held, things get worked out, everybody makes money. The Atty's get the $170+ per case, the officers get about 6-7 hrs OT, the violator gets it in the pooper.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
You have two officers. One who actually saw the offense. Then the other writes the ticket. The officer issuing the citation must have the witnessing officers information written on the ticket, which is done after the violator receives his copy. That copy is forwarded to municipal courts just like all the other tickets. Violator goes to trial. Both officers much show, issuing officer and the witnessing officer. Either one doesn't show then the ticket is dismissed.

Lawyers are part of the game too. If officers dont write tickets then they dont get cases. So one officer may say to a traffic atty, "hey hold all my cases till 2 pm and we can work something out." Cases get held, things get worked out, everybody makes money. The Atty's get the $170+ per case, the officers get about 6-7 hrs OT, the violator gets it in the pooper.
TY for clarification.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
NASAGeek
Bye, Ford! Hello, GM!

Bike(s):
FZ1
R6S (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post

QFT
NASAGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #17
andre3k
I see dead people...

But I will say this. Traffic enforcement works. I'm not saying this because of my job, but I deal with nothing but vehicular crashes and am forced to look at stats involving fatalities. Pretty much all traffic enforcement was disbanded in the mid 80's and during that period traffic crashes and fatality increased as well. They brought back traffic enforcement and the crashes went down to average numbers.

Its a double edged sword for all parties involved. Limit traffic enforcement and you will see a result on the streets of houston. Some traffic attys will have a lil less dough in their pockets. Now reward officers for ticket writing through paid OT and court time and the officer, city, and attys all make money. There is no way the public can truly blame officers for this because we don't set up the policies. I don't know of many officers that really love to go out and write tickets all day, only a very few. The most dangerous part of being the police is traffic stops and vehicular crashes. My biggest fear is not getting shot but rather being hit by a drunk driver or any driver while being on the freeway. And vehicular crashes not felonious assaults are the single largest killer of peace officers.

Last edited by andre3k; 11-07-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #18
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

this reminds me of that A&E show Jacked, except with speeding tickets.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
M@tt
Platinum Member

Bike(s):
09 - Gixxer 1000
06 - Gixxer 750 Track / Garage

Quote:

In less it's a State Trooper. I think they can write you a ticket for anything. That's what happen to me in some small town.
M@tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
this reminds me of that A&E show Jacked, except with speeding tickets.
werd...that show kicks .

andrew thanks for all the clarifications. i know it isn't the officers that create the policies and most officers don't like having to write tickets all day. You guys are in the game just like us, I am just helping out my team.